SAU Community

Who Are You?

PranK

• 2 weeks later...

figured I'd post in here, since I haven't got much else to post about since my R32 GT-R doesn't land for another month, but I'm in PA near Philadelphia.

I haven't seen any R32s around here besides the odd (probably illegally imported) R33/R34s at auto shows, and Doug DeMuro's R32 at a modern classics exhibit at a local museum

known about GT-Rs for awhile and always wanted one, so I bought one! I'm hoping the parts become more available here since almost everything has to come in from AUS, the UK or maybe Canada, nothing like the Hondas I'm used to where I can buy ARP rodbolts at the local pepboys

Lurking and learning all kinds of technical tid bits to help since I have the odd ball in the group, 1990 GTS4, gtst engine, gtr AWD..

Car gets delivered tomorrow and it is super clean, aftermarket wheels, nismo suspension, intake and exhaust are the only mods. Great starting point, little less attention than what the GTRs will get, but eventually all of the power.

I am a long time Nissan fan having owned several 240sx's, road raced the same chassis for 7 years with an SR20 and then with a VQ35HR. NASA Club HPDE Instructor since 2009. Parted out the race car a few years ago, put the race VQ into a daily S14 and sold that a few months ago.

I live in MD, I am a Helicopter technician, long time aviation technician and do regular car maintenance for some extra money on the side, everything from rebuilds, timing belts, brake jobs and CEL diagnosis. I try to stay busy basically and I think this new car will help with that.

• 3 weeks later...

US based in Houston, TX. My R32 GTR is days away from landing in Galveston. Been collecting parts and working to decipher all of the maintenance records that came with the car.

US based in Houston, TX. My R32 GTR is days away from landing in Galveston. Been collecting parts and working to decipher all of the maintenance records that came with the car.

Hi Jason , where did you buy your Skyline from ?

Sounds like you are getting ready to have some fun

What parts are you putting on for starters, it never seems to stop, lol

All the best with it :yes:

Thanks Peter. I bought it through an agent at auction in Tokyo. Looked for quite a while, as so many are junk now, even on paper. The importers in the US are charging outrageous fees, so I made the bet on an auction.

My original thought was to upgrade to -5's and enjoy it for a while maxing out the stock internals (I know the Nismo IC is overkill for that, but I wanted to have the option to go higher boost later and these ICs are getting more rare for the R32). I wanted to build my version of an Omori factory demo car. Sort of an ultimate streetable R32 w/ twin setup.

Now I'm also considering going to single turbo and building an engine with a new N1 block. The new turbos seem to do well on the bottom end. We'll see. Haven't bought much so far that won't work for both scenarios. Maybe something to be said for building the stage 1 version first then taking my time building the race engine.

First things first, need to finally inventory what's been done to it so I can make a full plan.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan, taking your time is also the way to go I think, I bumbled along after I bought mine, even buying it was not planned and ended up going for the Nitto 3.2 stroker build in the end. It had an old single on it when I bought it , so I stayed with a single, put the PT6266 CEA Gen 2 on it. Lots of arguing on this site about single and twins, from what I can work out the twins seem better for the street on a 2,6Lt , but ? Photo attached of my R34GTR

That Omori Factory is something else, like to have the pick of some of the cars there and that R2 built motor looks great, with soooo many other goodies , well if you have the bank account for them, lol.

Keep us updated, sounds like it could end up a special car.

Going through an importer there, what would a reasonable R32GTR cost and ready for the road?

Regards

Pete

post-52098-0-63702600-1452369275_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My car would easily be $21-22K delivered through an importer, maybe more. I was able to get that cost down to $18K delivered by going direct to the auction. I recently saw an importer advertising one for nearly $30K. It had mods, but that's how crazy the prices have gotten here in the states.

I'm supposed to be going through Asia in a few weeks, and hoping for an opportunity to stop through Tokyo to visit the factory. I'll try to leave my wallet at home. :)

As I have never imported a car I have no idea if those prices are expensive for the US, it seems you can buy a new import a lot cheaper than we can, our government wants to make sure they get their cut and they cut deep with their different taxes and duties, I am just trying to think if we still have the Luxury Car import tax going, lol

Example to give you and idea; GTR Black, $au182,500 = $us111,500 , Premium $au172,000 = $us101,770 ,

I thought the Omori factory was moved to Yokhama in the Tsurumi district. Do they still have one in Tokyo ?

If you're talking R35 they are well north of $100K here depending on the model.

On R32, if it's a 25 year old car we can import and the duties are pretty low. My taxes were about 2-3% of the value of the car. The tradeoff is you can't bring in anything not originally sold in the US until 25 years have passed.

We are luckier here with the age for second hand imports, but something to do with if they are sold in Australia or not. I "think" if a model is being sold here we cannot import them personally ?

As for the prices I only went on 2 sites to get example prices for the same GTR models, I went to , 2016 Nissan USA and 2016 Nissan GT-R Australia , those were the recommended retail prices quoted from both sites. Check them out and you will see the over the top prices we pay in OZ

Had been to Japan many times but nothing to do with cars, just loved it there, have to go again before I fall off the perch, haha

I got my 89 GTS-T Type M with 79k miles for $12,000. I didn't have to deal with importing and all that jazz.

Bought it here:

http://japaneseclassics.com/inventory/

I've seen their R32 GTRs up for around the $20k mark.... that seems like the best price for the market right now. The dealer does all the importing so that $20k is with all fees. They don't put anything up for sale until it's already been inspected and sitting in their shop in Richmond,VA.

Edited by B-Turbo

Is ur skyline road legal? How did u get a R33 imported already?

Yea, I have a MotoRex car that is 100% California and Federal legal. I have to smog it every 2 years here, but it passes. 96-98 R33's are legal to import since there is crash test data. The only others that are fed legal to import are 89 R32's (25 year rule for CA) and "show and display" imports.

Edited by gtrzillaUSA
  • Like 1

I've never heard of the 96-98 R33 being legal now. This year 91 R32s can be imported.

Pretty cool u have a Motorrex car. Is it built or one of the ones that slipped through? Lol jw. Can't believe how bad those dudes screwed all that up

Edited by B-Turbo

I've never heard of the 96-98 R33 being legal now. This year 91 R32s can be imported.

Pretty cool u have a Motorrex car. Is it built or one of the ones that slipped through? Lol jw. Can't believe how bad those dudes screwed all that up

Here is the page stating they are legal to import (federal only - still have to pass whatever state at that point) http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page10.html

The reason those are the only legal ones not of the 25 year rule is cause there is actual crash test data. Motorex then fudged the nubers for the 32 and the 34. But the 33 #'s are true.

I'm very lucky that mine was one of the 1st batches and is a complete car. Yea, Hiro got busted and it wasn't about the cars at 1st, that was the icing on the cake lol

Edited by gtrzillaUSA

Here is the page stating they are legal to import (federal only - still have to pass whatever state at that point) http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page10.html

The reason those are the only legal ones not of the 25 year rule is cause there is actual crash test data. Motorex then fudged the nubers for the 32 and the 34. But the 33 #'s are true.

I'm very lucky that mine was one of the 1st batches and is a complete car. Yea, Hiro got busted and it wasn't about the cars at 1st, that was the icing on the cake lol

I wonder why we haven't seen more of the R33 then?? I never knew this information so I'm guessing not many people do. I'm not a huge fan of the R33 but would be sweet to own one of each 31-32-33-34 lol

Still that's awesome you got one of the good ones. I couldn't imagine the FEDs coming to my house and crushing my Skyline..... yikes...

I'm hoping to get some parts going for my 89 GTS-T Type M. Gonna work on suspension first and then move on to motor.

Edited by B-Turbo