SAU Community

Buying An R32 Gtr? -help

Hughydw

Hi guys new to SAU, Just signed up.

I'm looking to buy a skyline and I've been looking at one which is immaculate, It's owned by my mate, Has just had a fresh Respray, It's completely 100% stock apart from an immobiliser and alarm system on remote, The readout says 40,xxx kms but I'm not sure if I should trust them or not?

Engine looks to be in good condition aswell, Has been compression tested, He's recently rebuilt the head aswell as general maintainence, Replacement of fluids, ect.

Now I'm looking to have this as a daily driver, I've tried searching for this topic and have found information but it's all mixed opinions.

What are your thoughts on an R32 GTR in terms of daily driving and reliability? All I've managed to read about is some people saying you'll need to rebuild the whole engine which is big $$ and others saying it'll be fine?

I'm not looking to do any serious modifications at the time being so it will be left stock.

Could someone please elaborate on the issues that they may experience ect? I'm new to jap cars especially skylines, I'm a mechanic by trade but still not sure on the 26's.

Thanks guys ✌?️

Get the underside of the car checked for any worn bearings/bushes and potential rust issues that the car may have. If it has plenty of those that you can't see just by going around the car then you could be up for some work.

Also the 40,000km is likely to be BS, most likely closer to 150,000km or more, so if you really wanted to know the true value before it was imported you can do the Japanese History/Rego check thing and you can get the Auction Documents for a small fee. You'd be able to guess with certain things on the car aging the difference between "40,000" and the unknown true value.

Secondly if you are daily driving and the engine is in good condition, verified by a compression test, then needing to rebuild the whole engine is a load of shit, it's like driving another car, except if things break or you want to do things it will cost you a fortune compared to other dailies.

If the car is in good condition and you purchase it and it's fairly stock, daily driving shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure you keep up regular maintenance intervals and check over the car frequently to make sure it's all running well. Quite easy to do a fair amount of things on the RB yourself just read up if you are unsure.

I Daily drive a 33 gtr currently and the car is reliable just like any other car with maintenance, but when you start wanting to modify it you have to take it off the road and need some other form of transport until its ready again. My car sits fairly low and I have some problems getting up driveways and jacking up the car requires 3 stages.

If your a mechanic just look at issues other 25 year old cars have. Heater hoses, clutch, leaks, etc.

And then look how annoying it is to repair that on an rb26.

Gho5t daily drives a 32 gtr and will likely add his input soon.

I daily'd my GT-R for a year and a bit, get ready to pay for petrol (avg. 14L/100km).

Apart from that, if suspension is relatively standard, it's fine. I have a heavy arsed clutch and stiffer suspension, bigger wheels/low profile tyres and some suspension bits changed.

But Sydney's shitty roads and traffic will leave you shitty after the drive.

Reliability wise, they're fine. No different to any other turbo car (maintain it properly and it'll be fine).

My car has ~150,000 import km, AFAIK unopened engine and standard turbos/boost/ECU/etc.

Yeah most work I'd be doing myself to be honest, As long as it's nothing major.

My mates got all the paperwork and import papers ect for it, What's this Japanese rego thing? If anyone has a link that would be great.

Sounds like it should be fine as a daily, I'm use to rough roads and I'm sure I'll get over the traffic, I'll keep up maintainence obviously and won't be modifying it for a while, I want to keep it stock until I get a really good feel of the car,

Spending 3 hours in traffic everyday was shithouse, so glad I train it to work now.

Drive around normally and it's no different to any other AWD turbo car. It's when you start shoving more air and thrashing the crap out of it you'll run into trouble, like any other car.

Rust will be your biggest concern.

Why would you have to rebuild the head with only 40,000 kms on the clock on a stock example though?

Doesn't make sense - add a 2 in front of the odometer reading.

• Like 1

He's a good mate of mine, He's had a full Respray done with rust cut out of the wheel arch, quarter panels and rear window sill.

Head was rebuilt as he noticed a hint of oil in the radiator and as a precaution did the head gasket, didn't seem to be the issue but the Problem seemed to stop after that