SAU Community

Av Mirrorlink Devices - Mirroring Your Phone Screen On Your V Console

This has been a long time coming but in all my boredom during my downtime between contracts, I decided to finally give my two Mirrorlink devices a benchtest and install the winner into the car.

Looking around the internet, I finally came upon two devices around mid-2014 which offered screen mirroring for both Android and iOS devices (even though my priority is Android).

Unit A: http://exploter.en.alibaba.com/product/60134524738-222336312/car_standard_Mira_Box_WiFi_S_CVBS_Manual_swith_WLAN_Display.html

Unit B: http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Carphone-CVS-8138-car-audio-video_715207809.html

Both are very easy to install, basically just power and video. Unit B also has an external switch to flick between DLNA and Mirrorlink modes as opposed to Unit A, which has the switches on board for resetting the unit as well as alternating between iOS and Android connectivity.

Testing them both, the immediate issue with Unit B was the ghosting of images. No point in benchtesting it, though I may try to make contact with the seller for any possibility of prior knowledge of this issue and an appropriate fix. Nonetheless, I figured I'd give Unit A a whirl and see how it compared. Trying out over a 24 hour soak test on a small TV, the unit proved to be reliable and had a decent image. I tested the audio as well, which seems to be quite reasonable for what it is. Certainly nothing to impress the discerning listener and I'm definitely sticking to my Sony ZX1 as my audio source of choice but it's good enough and certainly acceptable for listening to GPS navigation audio.

So with Unit A being the winner, I proceeded to test it out in the car. Though I needed to use an isolation transformer to clean up the herringbone interference in the image, once the phone is in landscape mode and the AV system is set to Wide, the scaling is actually on the money and it's not crystal clear like the built-in GPS. It's definitely usable in the least. I'm half tempted to take the next step with remote controlling the phone and try out a MimicX2 despite all the issues others have reported with them (from ordering through to support!), to complete the touchscreen part of the equation.

Installation was simple and contained within the centre console internals. The unit is currently fastened with velcro to the inside of the driver's side of the console, the power cable spliced into the backend of the cigarette lighter socket (solder and glue heatshrinked) and the video cable passed through an existing grommet in the back of the rear pocket under the armrest with no slack so no clutter. The size lends itself to a very neat installation and it remembers its functionality setting (Android or iOS) between power cycles.

I was a bit too busy with it to take photos of the installation but you get the idea.

So for the moment, Unit B is definitely not a good choice if you're keen on this idea for your vehicle.

Was starting to wonder if you'll ever get around to doing something :P...but good work on testing them. Other than Mimicx are there any other ones you are looking at? I've been tempted to get an apple tv into the car or some how fit a second headunit (cant find one thin enough or small enough to fit into places).

I have one, and even plugged it in, but the Video cuts out the moment the car starts moving. I had a quick look for how to get around it, but it looked hard. (2009 J50 Crossover - same as a 2010 V36)

Cheers - N

Agreed. For whatever reason, my system seems to operate without any modification. I did notice there was some wiring (neatly) messed about with when I initially took it apart to do the alarm and audio upgrades but whatever they were once connected to were no longer there. Needless to say though, I removed the wire taps immediately to avoid any future grief from those horrible connectors. They have their place, just not in a moving, vibrating motor vehicle!

How did you go about interfacing the HDMI output with the vehicle's AV system? I've only got analogue in mine readily available and didn't want to do any major work to interface directly with the LCD.

Other than Mimicx are there any other ones you are looking at? I've been tempted to get an apple tv into the car or some how fit a second headunit (cant find one thin enough or small enough to fit into places).

Yeah, took me long enough eh? Touchscreen control, I've seen nothing else on the market. I could come up with my own hardware design but when it comes to programming, I can only do hardware level so making a phone app is beyond my professional expertise. I'm still keeping my eyes open though.

As for fitting an Apple TV unit, that's a feasible idea given the massive amount of space inside the guts of our centre consoles. Headunit, on the other hand is a bitch but with a bit of car Tetris, you may be able to squeeze one in behind the dash just above the passenger side footwell.

Yeah, took me long enough eh? Touchscreen control, I've seen nothing else on the market. I could come up with my own hardware design but when it comes to programming, I can only do hardware level so making a phone app is beyond my professional expertise. I'm still keeping my eyes open though.

As for fitting an Apple TV unit, that's a feasible idea given the massive amount of space inside the guts of our centre consoles. Headunit, on the other hand is a bitch but with a bit of car Tetris, you may be able to squeeze one in behind the dash just above the passenger side footwell.

Haha yeah I remembered you telling me awhile back you were looking into it then no news :P just thought you got too busy with work.

Apple TV is really tempting. There's a guy in Japan that has done it and he has posted what equipment you'll need to get it running etc.

Headunit wise...I found that the Alpine CarPlay units doesn't need much depth for it to be installed. But not too sure where I can mount it/move which of the centre console around etc. Probably be too much custom work and I'm bad at that lol

what if i invested in an ipad mini, fit some sort of solid mount on the dash and run the wiring through to the AV connections in the centre arm rest?

Haha yeah I remembered you telling me awhile back you were looking into it then no news :P just thought you got too busy with work.

Apple TV is really tempting. There's a guy in Japan that has done it and he has posted what equipment you'll need to get it running etc.

Headunit wise...I found that the Alpine CarPlay units doesn't need much depth for it to be installed. But not too sure where I can mount it/move which of the centre console around etc. Probably be too much custom work and I'm bad at that lol

You're right, I was mighty busy. Being gainfully unemployed between contracts has given me the spare time I needed to pull my finger out. That and getting suspended for three months after coasting through Albury on the highway at 149km/h. :/

Have you got a link to to the Japanese dude's work? I'd like to investigate that some before embarking on this final step. It'd be interesting to see if he did anything that I haven't already thought of, especially with the touchscreen control.

The Alpine CarPlay units do look pretty good on paper, though I suspect their mounting depth is a bit too much for taking the place of the OEM screen without modifying the bezel, assuming you're prepared to sacrifice it.

what if i invested in an ipad mini, fit some sort of solid mount on the dash and run the wiring through to the AV connections in the centre arm rest?

If you're talking about using the audio output of your iPad Mini, sure. As mentioned, I have a Sony ZX1 sitting inside the armrest pocket for all my audio. Your iPad Mini suggestion would be no different.

That is, unless you're talking about retransmitting the video to the OEM screen. In which case, I'd ask, is there any point in that when you have the iPad Mini in sight since you're mounting it on the dash?

You're right, I was mighty busy. Being gainfully unemployed between contracts has given me the spare time I needed to pull my finger out. That and getting suspended for three months after coasting through Albury on the highway at 149km/h. :/

Have you got a link to to the Japanese dude's work? I'd like to investigate that some before embarking on this final step. It'd be interesting to see if he did anything that I haven't already thought of, especially with the touchscreen control.

The Alpine CarPlay units do look pretty good on paper, though I suspect their mounting depth is a bit too much for taking the place of the OEM screen without modifying the bezel, assuming you're prepared to sacrifice it.

It's on Facebook. Do you have an account? PM me deeds and I'll add you to the group so you can take a look?

Alpine CarPlay from what the audio shop I use say mounting dept is not much at all. The only issue would be, still needing the OEM screen for a/c shit.

Feel your pain brah, lost mine coasting down the freeway 145km/h as per the police officer....thank god he caught me doing that speed and nothing more :P

Looking at the Apple Car Play units myself, not sure if the Alpine or Pioneer is the go as yet, probably the Alpine unit as the screen doesn't pop out for DVD's. (I am worried it will hit the gear shifter).

No app required to run these, just instant mirroring when you plug the phone in. Using Siri to open apps and control functions seems to work very well, until the app is open of course... More app development is required.

Yea I'd go with the Alpine one in all honesty. Although they release it late but they have improved and nutted out most of the issues. And the unit itself is very thin too.

Doooeeet Scotty =)

Good alternatives for those who don't want to shy away from their OEM AV system. I don't particularly fancy going that route just because I think I've squeezed in enough gear under that dash. :P

Thanks for the group page Colin. You could've just given us the group page name since it's public access and all. ;)

From what I can see about that Apple TV install, he's done nothing out of the ordinary so it hasn't brought anything new to the table for me. Thanks all the same though. I'll keep an eye out on that page for any more ideas and inspirations.

Oh, it used to be private. Guess they've since changed that to a public group instead.

I still don't know which way to go....maybe when you figure out something better :P what else is in your dash?

That's it. I'm thinking of maybe sneaking a strong magnet behind the dash somewhere to hold up my phone as a means of eliminating the need for a phone mount. I'm not a fan of opening holes in the car wherever they can be avoided. What I am a fan of is keeping it looking as stock standard as possible. Even my alarm antenna/indicator is hidden behind one of the A-pillar panels and yet the LED is bright enough to shine through.

I've ordered the MimicsX2 so we'll see how that pans out. All going well, this will be the second last piece in the puzzle. What I'd like ultimately is for Sony to release a ZX series network walkman that has an Android OS version of at least 4.2 so that I can control my tunes remotely for once.

• 1 year later...

Hey all, just found this post and is keen to find out more. So Tony, do you still recommend going with Unit A?

Just a few questions:-

1) How easy is the installation for someone who haven't taken anything apart in the car?

2) Is it easy to connect the power to the unit through the lighter socket?

3) Can this thing be powered with a USB port or something else? Is there anyway where I don't have to remove the dash to install this?

4) Has anyone tried out mimics? I got in touch with Dave from customGadz and he told me the unit is USD150 but there is no one in NZ that he knows that does the installation. They provide a general installation guide but he did say some technical know-how is required to get the thing working so keen to see if anyone has this or know anyone in Auckland who does the installation.

Anyone else has any other easy solutions to get GPS Navigation from a phone to the touchscreen of the car?

Thanks guys!

On 16/08/2016 at 3:08 PM, win4ever said:

Hey all, just found this post and is keen to find out more. So Tony, do you still recommend going with Unit A?

Just a few questions:-

1) How easy is the installation for someone who haven't taken anything apart in the car?

2) Is it easy to connect the power to the unit through the lighter socket?

3) Can this thing be powered with a USB port or something else? Is there anyway where I don't have to remove the dash to install this?

4) Has anyone tried out mimics? I got in touch with Dave from customGadz and he told me the unit is USD150 but there is no one in NZ that he knows that does the installation. They provide a general installation guide but he did say some technical know-how is required to get the thing working so keen to see if anyone has this or know anyone in Auckland who does the installation.

Anyone else has any other easy solutions to get GPS Navigation from a phone to the touchscreen of the car?

Personally, yes, I do still recommend the device. It's by no means the best thing since sliced bread. After all, it's still using composite video output, but it's definitely usable.

To answer the rest respectively:

1. Hard to say. How clever are you at following a workshop manual or some write ups in forums about pulling out a few pieces of your interior? For me, it's a piece of cake. For someone else, it might be a bitch.
  2. I can only speak for my auto transmission '09, where there is a little grommet at the back of the centre console pocket. That's where I've passed my wires through. I probably should've taken some photos to demonstrate this. Can't do that for another month and a half though. However, I should note, I've only passed the AV cables through that grommet. The power cable doesn't plug into my cigarette lighter socket, as that is already occupied by my low profile dual-USB power adaptor. Instead, I've hardwired my unit from behind the cigarette lighter socket. Out of sight, out of mind.
  3. Not the two units I assessed. They both require 12V DC. You could certainly just plug it all in and leave it all sitting inside the console pocket but man that would look seriously ugly and take up otherwise precious space. You don't need access to the unit once it's all set up anyway, so my advice would be to put a little pride in your work, remove the centre console and neatly install it.
  4. That's the next step. I ordered it long ago but never got around to installing it. Once I get back home, I have a bit of time up my sleeve, so I might actually make the effort to install it. I can safely say, if you are not confident about taking the vehicle's dash apart nor experienced with slightly fragile ribbon cables, you will not manage the installation of the mimicsX2 on your own and could very well damage something in the process.

Not trying to be a condescending dick about it all. I know it seems that way in text but that's the reality of installing these devices in the least obtrusive way.

Thanks for the reply Tony!

I think I found something on Trademe for the mirroring which the seller might probably do the installation as well. Anyway, had a look at my v36 and it would have had the perfect setup for the mirroring without needing to remove anything at the dash. The japanese owner had this TV box unit sitting in the boot and there are AV ports there that connects to the stereo unit. The TV box also has a power cable for 12V I believe so it would be as simple as replace the box with the mirrorlink device and I will be sorted! Too bad I am changing car.... :(

• 2 weeks later...