SAU Community

Intake Piping

A friend of mine years ago ducted his R32 N/A intake into his cabin. Into his cabin. His thinking was when he turned on his A/C, the engine would breath in the cold air, get some performance, he ran without a filter as there was no need for one. Spiders and roaches would be squashed and burned if they'd ever get into the intake. But guess what? After the initial shock he got from insane intake noise from the startup rev, instant regret 30 seconds of driving it hahahaha, and of course, he had to return everything back to the way it was, but with a large hole in his firewall.

There are flexible stainless steel piping available, you could get the correct piping diameter with some coupling for your setup. No need to worry about piping angles. See here:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wlk-49033/overview/

There is a panel under the stock air filter, if you would take a look at it, there is an outline for turbo piping. You can drill a hole there for either piping your pod, or to let ambient air in. There is a tutorial I think somewhere in the forums.

Do whatever you want to your car, the itch of not doing it when you wanted to do, can turn into a rash. Just don't get hurt or have anybody else hurt. And of course, be prepared for "I told you so, comments." Goodluck buddy.

• Like 2

haha, would love to see a down shift backfire through the intake. that would wake him up.

i actually wanna see pictures of that.

Sorry mate, there were no photos, this was like in 2001. We didn't even have digital cameras back then, just the film ones. On this island on that year, internet was just starting to get installed, heck, we still use dial up in many homes. I have photos of another buddy of mine somewhere, I just need to find it, where he installed a 6 foot intake to his Toyota Levin. The same piping as the flexible intake link I posted, but at 2.5" diameter. It was way cheaper back then, now it costs twice as much. I'll post it tomorrow as I am logging off from work, such fun times haha.

A friend of mine years ago ducted his R32 N/A intake into his cabin. Into his cabin. His thinking was when he turned on his A/C, the engine would breath in the cold air, get some performance, he ran without a filter as there was no need for one. Spiders and roaches would be squashed and burned if they'd ever get into the intake. But guess what? After the initial shock he got from insane intake noise from the startup rev, instant regret 30 seconds of driving it hahahaha, and of course, he had to return everything back to the way it was, but with a large hole in his firewall.

Reminds me of the guys who used to fit DCOE Webers onto their minis. The intake trumpets used to come through the firewall into the cabin. Then again, intake noise was half the reason people bought Webers, and in those days a Mini was far from quiet anyway, so the Weber conversion was nothing but win.