SAU Community

What Cars Can Be Imported From The Uk Under Sevs?

foibles

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone can give me some insight as to what cars can be 'practically' (as opposed to theoretically, or feasibly) imported from the UK.

By theoretically - I'm aware of the long list of candidates that exists on the SEVS register...but whether or not a RAWS has done the necessary tests, and has plates, and complies on behalf of the public is another thing.

Similarly - I'm aware of the fact that the Aussie dollar is not in the best shape for importing anything at the moment.....but I'm not trying to do any sort of economic analysis here.

Practically speaking - what cars can be imported under SEVS, for which RAWS exist, and have plates which they'll use to comply cars on behalf of the public?

My guess is the following;

Aston DB7 V12

Aston Vanquish V12

Maserati Spyder 4200

Maserati Coupe 4200

Volkswagen Scirocco Type R

Is that it?

Also, I've heard that some people have imported Infiniti from the UK, rather than Skylines from Japan, due to advantages such as cruise control, English Navi / GPS, better sound systems......although the specifics were largely over my head.

Whilst the V35 is clearly a G35, and the V36 is clearly a G37.........what about the Skyline 'recreational vehicles' (Crossovers?). Is it legal to import all variants, of all ages - or is this restricted by model, fuel type, drive type (2WD or 4WD) etc.

Any knowledge that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Foibles

Well, in a legal sense, there is no restriction about the country of origin for a model. Practically almost everything comes from japan because the buying and importing infrastructure is in place, and the total costs are much lower than coming from the UK.

So its the same rules as always, if its on the SEVS register it COULD happen, as long as you can find a RAWS willing to comply it. A fair few top end cars come other than the usual skylines we all think of.

If the SEVS list shows a Nissan Skyline then you CAN NOT import an Infiniti G35 instead as they are tested against the exact specific original car. You can import an Infiniti FX50, etc because they are specifically approved for the Infiniti models.

With regards to finding a suitable workshop with compliance for various models, you should search on the following website then call the workshop to confirm as some only do in-house compliance for their own cars and will not do private work for you ... http://raws.infrastructure.gov.au/rawswebpublic/RAWPubSearch.asp

Considering the poor Aussie Dollar at the moment and the rampant disregard for regulations by many importers who massively wind back mileage, import cars with known accident history and other things which are not really allowed, it means that you will be trying to import a genuine nice car but comparing prices to other importers who have what appear to be similar cars in Australia selling for lower prices. What I am saying is that if you are looking to buy a car for yourself then you will get a better car by importing directly but maybe not cheaper than buying locally in Australia, however you will know what you are buying and that it's right. If you are trying to import just to resell for profit then you will find it very hard to buy at the right price to have it landed here cheap enough to make any money unless you are doing dodgy and illegal things too!

Of course this is just my 2c worth on the matter, although it comes from more than 15 years experience importing cars and current experience being my full time job sourcing cars for people all over the world.

Edited by kakimoto33