SAU Community

Big End Bearing Replacement?

oatie

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question about a series 1 rb25det..
was wondering if I'm able to replace my big end bearings with acl bearings to freshen up the bottom

end a bit, I havent spun a bearing or anything like that just wanting to make sure I have fresh bearings
before I go giving it a hard time. If so am I able to just get standard size acl bearings, check clearances

with plasti gauge and if all clearances seem okay whack it all back together?

Thanks.

As above

unless you are planning moderate to heavy mods (and if you are you should be doing more then replacing just the bearings anyway), the OEM bearings will be fine. Unless you suspect a problem, and even then I'd only be pulling a few caps to check if i was really concerned

hmm..
I'm just wanting to learn to drift and was worried about spinning a bearing thats all!

Oh also, it made 300hp when it was tuned..

Just scared of something failing >_>

Edited by oatie

Theres nothing wrong with freshning up a motor if you know how, new bearings and rings are good to have but in saying that if the current motor is in good cond with good comp aslong as you have a good tune, change oil every track day theres no reason it wont last I still have my 25 drift car stock bottom end with 4years with no problem but I also have built a spare bottom end with new bearings and rings to have ready to go. Really up to you which way you want to go.

• Like 1

Alright, Thanks for all the replies

I'm paranoid of engine failure.

I'm hoping to get a 25 long block shorty for that exact reason.

So if did oil control mods - head drain, block restrictors, machine

Oil return.. I should be a lot better off than just a standard 25?

Also does billet replacement oil pump gears help with the pump failure

Issues? Or is it more so to do with the collar?

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

I disagree. There is plenty of people out there who abuse the f**k out of their standard engines running Big boost for years and never smash an oil pump. Myself included. Something else always gives (general wear causing low compression and giving excessive blowby, or just bad luck like spitting a shim or melting a piston due to a fuel pump dying)

Personally I think the thing that kills oil pumps is the little silver and red badge on the car that says 'GTR'

• Like 2

I disagree. There is plenty of people out there who abuse the f**k out of their standard engines running Big boost for years and never smash an oil pump. Myself included. Something else always gives (general wear causing low compression and giving excessive blowby, or just bad luck like spitting a shim or melting a piston due to a fuel pump dying)

Personally I think the thing that kills oil pumps is the little silver and red badge on the car that says 'GTR'

I melted a piston because my fuel line ruptured and she leaned out - I made the upgrade to an 2530... [emoji2]

I was tongue-in-cheek in both posts.