SAU Community

Skyline R33 To Turbo Conversion!

How much would I be looking at roughly to do an engine swap? + upgrading brakes etc?

Thanks to all those who actually replied maturely by the way! I've only just bought this car so I would love to build it up and get to learn things along the way.

& no I shouldn't have just bought a project car than because I just returned to Australia after living in Europe for a couple of years.

In the mean time instead of a turbo, is there really any other way to give the car a bit more power? The car has a K&N pod filter, heavy duty clutch, 3.5inch catback exhaust (which is way too loud) + a lot more I can't remember atm!

Rough figures?

Engine 1.5k

Gearbox 1k

Diff 300

Brakes 300

Hubs 300

Other stuff, eg intercooler fuel pump extra bits involved that everyone forgets 500-1000

So 4-4.5k.

Selling your gts and buying a gtst will not cost you that much

Rough figures?

Engine 1.5k

Gearbox 1k

Diff 300

Brakes 300

Hubs 300

Other stuff, eg intercooler fuel pump extra bits involved that everyone forgets 500-1000

So 4-4.5k.

Selling your gts and buying a gtst will not cost you that much

Thanks for that man! Seems like selling and buying a gtst is the best way to go about it, cheers!

Or do you just enjoy being a dickhead throughout the day on the internet?

well in fairness, we ALL enjoy doing that, I know I certainly do.

In the mean time instead of a turbo, is there really any other way to give the car a bit more power?

Ben I can't believe you didn't say NOSSSSSS!!

but seriously you could mess about with little mods but by comparison to going turbo, not a lot that will give you dollar-value HP.

There is a lot cynicism in this forum on the topic of N/A power-ups, probably due to the number of young(ish) guys who have just bought an N/A Skyline and then come on this forum looking for a cheap power-up. They nearly always seem to think there is a magic solution that we all know but have chosen to keep secret. Sadly, there is no magic :-(

My axiom when it comes to modifying cars, learned through hard experience is:

Performance, reliable, inexpensive ... pick any one-and-a-half.

It is best to gather enough resources (ie knowledge, experience, parts/money) to do it once and do it right. Any other way will lead to much sadness.

Curb your natural enthusiasm, enjoy what you have got, and research the possible mods to make it better..

One day you too will have a mega Skyline like the rest of us, which makes your friends envious and which gets your girlfriend/boyfriend/farm-animal all hot and bothered (hey, I'm not judging), and life will be good. Dinks!

Edited by david.r34.gtt