SAU Community

Mallala Practice Days

Roy

Comne on ppl, im still keen, but even my interest is starting to wane...i have a sprint at Phillip Island the weekend before, and a Sprint at Calder a fortnight after...and i still want to make this trip, though i aint keen on the 8hr drive by myself to go to the track by myself, especially when there are so many Vic/NSW trac days the next few months...

Come on ppl, are there any ppl that can say for sure they will come up for a run in their cars?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, drift.  So based on response it appears no one is interested in cutting some laps around a circuit...only drifting?

Fair enough i suppose... more track time for me!

I'll be going up for a look if you are going to be there, as for running, I doubt it, got no spare cash to fix anyhting at the moment!

Stock radiator isn't too bad as long as it gets good airflow. Make sure you have your heater on full, it might give you a extra lap or two

I installed a oil cooler before I went out

Chances are your brakes will be the telling factor unless they are upgraded, as the first time I went out, I was only running 150rwkw and the brakes would shit themselves after a few laps

Tips would be -

Make sure you have decent brakes/pads

Run your oil level a touch higher to prevent oil starvation

Test the integrity of your fuel tank seals - both times I have been out, I have leaked fuel. Fill your car up and throw it around HEAPS, then check for leaks. Tighten and ensure the seal for your pump brakcet is seated properly, especially if it has been replaced at some point

Make sure your happy with your tyres - if they feel shit on the street, they feel way worse on the track. Put a extra few PSI in them

Do one complete cool down lap, low revs with minimal braking to let everything cool of

Its great fun, I hope I can make it out!

Chris

I can't speak from 1st hand experience, but i have been "pit crew" for RowdyR32 at Sandown, he's pretty blaise about this stuff and went out with stock radiator and no oil cooler. Just did an oil change before hand (2-3K old oil anyways), checked brakes, tyres, etc. (should of paid more attention to the susp. on his GTR before going out but that's another story) and bought some high-quality brake fluid.

As these were super sprints, 6 laps or so long, temps weren't too bad.

But the brake fluid was the problem, as he didn't change it over before hand, so by lap 4-5 his pedal was pretty much on the floor coz he'd boiled the old stuff. So, between each session I had to help him flush the brakes, and top up with the high-quality stuff.

So i know the one thing I'll be doing for certain before hand, if/when i get out there, new brake fluid!

Another thing is, if this is a CAMs event you'll be required to have an extinguisher, but even if it's not I'd still carry one (maybe even two). I've been meaning to get one even though all i do is drive on the road.

You can if you have a certain level CAMS license

My understanding (and 2nd hand expereince once more) is that it's up to the event organisers more than anything. A lot of events allow passenger runs in the first warm-up session, where driving must 80% of ability, but once the main game is on passengers are a no go.

If petrol prices keep going up, it'll be an expensive day out :)

Hmm, around 1700kms round trip, so 4 tanks of gas. One tank of gas at the track. So about $350 in fuel. Plus accomodation and entry to the track. Including the service on the car this is going to set me back about $800 :D

So are you guys 50:50? Better odds? There is a good chance in early November im going to be back in Thebarton with work, as they place i was working at is being audited by the TGA again. So that means work will pay for my fuel and accomodation :)

Would Friday 11th November be a better time, the extra 5 weeks to get things sorted on the car. Big thing for me is expenses can be covered by work, and its after Sandown, which is the day i really want to lean on the car to see how quick it is with a good hit of boost.

So is it a case of now or never, or a few more weeks to get organised?? No SAU-Vic folk will be comign as there is the annual BBQ, another thing id liek ot go to that weekend :)

November the 11th would be much better.

Only 2 days after my birthday. :D

Maybe some on in the family can get me an oil cooler. :)

So all up, what do we need.

Stack hat.

Whats it cost to enter?

Any other fees?

Edited by Cubes

November the 11th would be much better.

Only 2 days after my birthday. :O

Maybe some on in the family can get me an oil cooler. :)

So all up, what do we need.

Stack hat.

Whats it cost to enter?

Any other fees?

Yeh stack hat from motorcyle place will set you bac $100, or can try and borrow one.

...and thats it really, ill ring Mallala over the next week or so and confirm licence requirements, clothing etc, unless someone knows already?