SAU Community

R33 Gt-r V Spec Alsd Strength

Hi all. So, I'm currently in the process of finding the right R33 GT-R for me to buy. I'm familiar with the differences between v spec and normal spec cars (lower, higher spring rates, ALSD, different front rear torque split versus lateral G force map, takes vertical Gs into account according to some sources etc.), but was slightly worried by one recurring comment about the ALSD being weaker than the conventional LSD. Now I'm not entirely sure yet if I want to modify my car or keep it stock (looking to buy stock or close to stock either way probably), but this does worry me if I do decide to pursue mods. Is this assessment of the ALSD's strength correct? How much of a problem is it? Are we talking just more regular maintenance and parts or catastrophic failure if pushed past a certain point? Are there any guidelines as to limits of the ALSD? If it's fine I'd probably slightly preference getting a v spec car, if it's a problem I might avoid them. Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry for asking - I have tried searching both this forum and the Internet more broadly for a solid answer but couldn't find anything definitive.

Easier all round just to avoid V spec - although i don't know about their relative availability where you are. On the other hand allegedly properly maintained ALSDs are fine (but no one ever seems to maintain them).

• 3 weeks later...

Never had a problem with mine, always seems to lock up when need be, ran 400hp at the wheels for years bout 50,000km with out problems, now have 550hp n still haven't had problems, saying that mite die next week or do another 50,000km, (car currently has bout 160k on the clock)

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, thanks for the advice everybody - gave me the confidence to buy a non V-Spec car and not worry about missing out :). I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.  I've had an offer accepted on a car subject to it passing an inspection, so exciting times!