SAU Community

C34 Mirror disassembly

Moistcat

C34 Mirror disassembly

Hey, I got a replacement drivers mirror and since it's the wrong colour I wanna repaint the housing. I've it apart for the most part, but haven't got the wiring out of the rubber. Wanting to know if any here knows how to get completely apart.

Where I'm at.

ee27bc972c.jpg

Where I'm stuck

eca1760242.jpg

Any tips on this part would be great.

12 hours ago, D-750 said:

I assume the plug needs to come off? Then pull all the wires through. Is that what you are asking?

Yeah, sorry if my question was poorly worded.

10 hours ago, Duncan said:

eb6fd9219b0d612dd5b58c1581ca74fbaa1a754b

Just wrap it in tape. Yes you could unpin the plug and pull it through but you can break the fitting doing that, and you might put it back together incorrectly...

I took a photo of the wiring order so that ain't a problem. This happens to be the first mirror I've worked on that has electrics.

7 hours ago, daneprostamobrown said:

Yea correct procedure would he take the pins out but that's tough. If you tape the connector and lube it up just gently pull it through 

I may have to try that. Worse comes to worse I may just cut the wires and solder them back together afterwards but I'd rather do it the proper way.

well if you want to depin it, the rear half of the connector will swing up and around which will unlock the pins.  use a sharp pick to lever it up then out of the way.  then each pin will have a plastic locking tab, get the pick under it and the pin will slide out of the connector.  Reassembly is much easier, just push the pins back in then clip the locking tab back onto the rear of the connector...keeping in mind if any pins is out of order you will probably fry something.

Definitely no need to cut

• Like 1

On 9/24/2016 at 7:22 PM, Duncan said:

well if you want to depin it, the rear half of the connector will swing up and around which will unlock the pins.  use a sharp pick to lever it up then out of the way.  then each pin will have a plastic locking tab, get the pick under it and the pin will slide out of the connector.  Reassembly is much easier, just push the pins back in then clip the locking tab back onto the rear of the connector...keeping in mind if any pins is out of order you will probably fry something.

Definitely no need to cut

I did that and it worked!

6049d4bf2c.jpg

Success! Now I can go repaint the housing :D

I've gotta figure out why my passenger side mirror is loose.  Any drive I take, the wind pushes the mirror in slightly, and it's at a point where the power motors can't fold it back out again.  Not sure if there are gears in there or springs to hold it in place, but something isn't working as it should...