SAU Community

M35 LED high beam retrofit

Zaphod

M35 LED high beam retrofit

Pretty happy with the M35 low beam. I just replaced the discharge lamps with some cheapies from eBay and they work a treat. So much so, that the high beam (H4 halogens) look pitiful. Has anyone replaced the low beam lamps with LED types? Which ones? I don't trust all the sellers on eBay to accurately quote the correct figures. 

Most of the fleabay H4 LED (and more than a few of the arc discharge) retrofit kits are pretty much as good as their price would lead you to believe - terrible...

There are a few LED ones that I have seen for other vehicles that are actually decent performers but these are built using the same gear that you see used on a lot of high end Porsche / Audi vehicles and have the price tag to match. My suggestion would be to go for one of the quality brands - The Philips Ultinon ones appear to be be decent but as you have seen the from the wildly varying prices and claimed specifications that it is definitely a minefield and completely unregulated.

1 hour ago, baron_von_bootsector said:

Most of the fleabay H4 LED (and more than a few of the arc discharge) retrofit kits are pretty much as good as their price would lead you to believe - terrible...

There are a few LED ones that I have seen for other vehicles that are actually decent performers but these are built using the same gear that you see used on a lot of high end Porsche / Audi vehicles and have the price tag to match. My suggestion would be to go for one of the quality brands - The Philips Ultinon ones appear to be be decent but as you have seen the from the wildly varying prices and claimed specifications that it is definitely a minefield and completely unregulated.

I replaced the low beam with eBay ones and they work very well indeed. That said, I checked the seller's rep and it all looked pretty good. The replacements (Chinese made) are significantly brighter than the 15 year old originals. So much so, that I now realise the standard M35 high beam is crap. Hence, I am trying to locate something to match the excellent low beam. I was wondering is anyone had actually replaced their high beam with LEDs in an M35 and which lamps they used. I want to know if there are any physical limitations inherent to some LEDs in the M35. 

Edited by Zaphod

FWIW - I haven't used them on an M35 but I have used the H4 Philips for low and high beam on my daily and was happy with the results and its a similar reflector type to an M35 - there is a nice review with comparison pics on http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-lighting-electrical/603282-h4-philips-x-treme-ultinon-led-headlight-bulb-review.html and http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-tacoma-2nd-generation-2005-2015/1254065-my-opinion-philips-x-treme-ultinon-led-h4-headlight-bulb-review.html

I have found in the past from experience with a few kits that cheap LED kits give great light but its reliability where they fall over with a number of the kits I have played with either dying quickly or the lights working on a intermittent basis (although not nearly as bad as arc discharge ones). Your mileage may vary of course!

Edited by baron_von_bootsector
Additional link

2 hours ago, baron_von_bootsector said:

FWIW - I haven't used them on an M35 but I have used the H4 Philips for low and high beam on my daily and was happy with the results and its a similar reflector type to an M35 - there is a nice review with comparison pics on http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-lighting-electrical/603282-h4-philips-x-treme-ultinon-led-headlight-bulb-review.html and http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-tacoma-2nd-generation-2005-2015/1254065-my-opinion-philips-x-treme-ultinon-led-h4-headlight-bulb-review.html

I have found in the past from experience with a few kits that cheap LED kits give great light but its reliability where they fall over with a number of the kits I have played with either dying quickly or the lights working on a intermittent basis (although not nearly as bad as arc discharge ones). Your mileage may vary of course!

Thanks for the links. The Philips lamps appear to be decent enough. 

I bought a set of fleabay H4 LED globes, 9000 lumens. When they turned up they were only 4000 lumens. Got my money back. I fitted them out of interest, and found buzzing through the radio from the cooling fans in the globes. Bought a set of 55w HIDs, never looked back! Just saying.....

HID in reflectors, wow. Glare everywhere. LEDs, just as bad.

Look at Philips Racing Vision H4 or Osram Laser H4.

Also, H4 is dual filament, are you sure your M35 takes H4 high? Because H4 high beam only doesn't exist. Low beam discharge (a.k.a. HID), what did you buy? Don't expect them to last long (which is why you get Philips or Osram replacement, costly but you pay for the quality).