SAU Community

Boost issues, will EBC solve the issues?

robj

Hi,

Having few issues with boost on my S14.

Standard ECU, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Walbro fuel pump, that's about it.

I made an Autospeed manual boost controller (Set up DIY #2... http://www.autospeed...Part-One&A=2836 ) setup for my S14 years ago and it worked fine when l had the boost set around 16psi.

But having moved to a warmer climate (QLD)
, I turned the boost down to around 13psi. Problem is now below 4500rpm, it only has 8-9psi, and then creeps up to 13 psi.

Is buying an Electronic Boost Controller going to fix this issue?

Set the car up with short pipes to the Intercooler, kept stock T28 etc for quick boost, but now not really getting boost.

I've spent copious hours researching different EBC, but can't see if it will fix it. Seems the type of solenoid or how the EBC is mounted effects the performance.......

Looking at eBoost2 or eBoost street... but want to ake sure it will do the trick.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: boost controller.JPG

I made (years ago) and used (for many years) the same boost controller.  I liked it, but ultimately found in the end that like all non-EBC boost controllers it wasn't completely consistent.  So I replaced it with a Profec.  The Profec is much more consistent, as you might expect.

In your case, I would ponder whether you should not just be adjusting the relief valve in your controller a little to increase the ramp rate.  You might have maladjusted it a little when lowering the main boost reg, or maybe the way the relief valve works depends on the setting of the reg.  I know when I was setting mine up (a few times) I set the boost reg first, then brought the relief valve up until it was coming on boost as hard as I wanted, then had to adjust the reg again to get the right target boost (because the relief valve affected the target a little too) and then once more back to the relief valve to get the ramp right.

With your turbo and your desired boost levels, it won't matter what EBC you employ, nor the solenoid valve type or where it's located.  Anything should work.

Or check the exhaust gasket from manifold to head also the turbo to manifold gasket.

Have seen them blow out on SR20DETs many times causing turbos to be come extremely lazy.

Partially how the turbo is mounted is the cause followed by most aftermarket dump/down pipes are unsupported