SAU Community

PowerFC warning light / car dies at 4000rpm

Last night I started having a problem with my car, a 1992 R32 GTR. The car has HKS GT2530s and standard camshafts and comes on to hard boost around 4000rpm.

When the car is coming onto hard boost at 4000rpm the car just "dies" and looses all power and the power fc warning light in the dash comes on and stays on solid. I know if it flashes in 3 increments at 0.5 second intervals it means detonation, and if the intervals are longer its the injectors maxing out, but this is just staying on solid and the injectors are nowhere near maximum (Sard 700cc) and the knock level is 1. The car is also still getting fuel as it comes flooding out the back of the exhaust (occasionally in a pretty orange/white burnt form), but I just cant figure it out. Spark plugs seem ok and are gapped at 0.8mm. It also has Z32 AFM's which were cleaned about 2 months ago. The car is running 1.2kg/cm2 boost.

When the car dies it sort of just splutters but doesnt sound like its misfiring.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks.

Yeah the rev limiter is set to 8250rpm (factory rev limit). I forgot to mention this setup has been working faultlessly for the past few months, nothing was changed on the PowerFC, it just all of a sudden started doing this.

Thanks for your suggestion though, appreciated :)

Could be Ill add that to my list of things to check, thanks. Any other ideas?

When it "dies" it doesnt stall it just stops revving, tested it this morning and this time it sounded like its hit a rev limiter sort of thing. My main concern is that the light hooked up to the power fc to blink if theres a problem is coming on and staying on until a few seconds after i back off.

First test, put the Commander into Monitor mode and watch the display closely at 4,000rpm. It may pay to have the passenger do it or point the video camera at it then play it back for analysis later.

Second test, fuel filter and/or fuel pump, check the fuel pressure at the rail.

My best guesses :(

Just as an update, the CAS was loose, tightened that up and the car hasnt played up since. It has also fixed the hunting for idle problem I was having too.

• 4 weeks later...
Just as an update, the CAS was loose, tightened that up and the car hasnt played up since. It has also fixed the hunting for idle problem I was having too.

sorry to bring up a old thread and ask a dumb question, but what is the "CAS"