SAU Community

GIMP image editor

tridentt150v

Anyone else here using GIMP? 

Its a free image/photo editor written by a heap of geeks.  I have used Photoshop CS4 ages ago but GIMP is just as good for general users like me.  Plus PS was a pirate version cos the actual software package cost was huge for a hobbyist. Its a pretty impressive package given that it is free.

Anyway, I have just done a couple of designs, made some vector art, transparencies, and some photo editing.  It also has some great 'how to' tutorials on youtube .

Was wondering if anyone else had used it. 

Yeah, I've had it for a while, not sure how long but maybe 2010-15 sometime.  I really like what it can do, nice to know I'm not the only one.

Not cars [working on a coffee mug setup for my missus for Xmas actually]...but the spotted horse wasn't originally in this photo...hard to tell he wasn't though.  I haven't quite got the comparative size - I think he has to be made a bit bigger [which is easy to do]  - but I'm still working on it.

The four amigos.jpg

LOL, my newest laptop computer is about 8 years old and mainly lives in the bottom draw.

It comes out every so often to resize pictures and rip new music cd's so I can throw them on a hard drive.

No GIMPS for me then.

Cheers

2 hours ago, tridentt150v said:

not sure but I think GIMP will still operate OK on XP and up,  used to anyway.

I don't think he was talking about how old the PC is wrt to whether the GIMP will run on it.  I think he was saying that he is so "hella modern" (TM) that he uses his phone for everything and only pulls the laptop out on rare occasions.  Which is his perogative.  If my phone had a mouse and keyboard and 24" monitor, I'd use it for everything too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

I don't think he was talking about how old the PC is wrt to whether the GIMP will run on it.  I think he was saying that he is so "hella modern" (TM) that he uses his phone for everything and only pulls the laptop out on rare occasions.  Which is his perogative.  If my phone had a mouse and keyboard and 24" monitor, I'd use it for everything too.

More like the computer is so old it takes 15 minutes to do anything after clicking on something.

My phone makes phone calls and does the googles, but sometimes I take a pic and they are too big for some forum pages.

The computer has that editor thingie that makes the pics "smaller".

I would rather spend money on car parts and alcohol than get a new computer, which will sit in the bottom draw and only get used when I rip discs or want to resize  a pic.

I've never really been a computer person, I was hoping for a easy fix using my phone.

And if I ask the missus or kid to use their one they would be all like "see, I told you you need a new computer", which would make me walk outside and yell at clouds....