SAU Community

Fitting a Garrett to a stock rb20 manifold

I’m gonna be looking at purchasing a turbo in the near future and I’m on the fence with either a hypergear or mambatek or also a gtx2860. So my question is has anyone ever fitted a Garrett to their stock rb20 manifold and if so what all did you have to modify to make it work? I was thinking about purchasing the five bolt flange and just have that welded to the tomei 3” downpipe instead of its six bolt flange. Like so 

5B5B85CE-9963-42B1-B141-EEDC5818D8CB.png

B48B6762-40C4-429C-9EE6-77999FB670E5.jpeg

14897ADB-B729-4C0D-908B-DBEC34ED82AE.jpeg

9D2D2BE4-19FD-4091-B5B2-C1EADD412C94.jpeg

The manifold side is easy, per Josh's point 2 above.  But I think the OP question is more to do with the dump pipe side.  In which case, don't f**k about with cutting and shutting a new flange onto the Tomei dump if you don't already own it.  If you do already own it, it might be doable.  But I would just get a new dump made up.

Right my question has to do with just the dump side. Or would it be do able to use the exhaust housing side from the stock turbo and switch it over to the Garrett turbo to keep the six bolt flange and not have to do any cutting welding or making s new dump. And no I don’t have the tomei dump in my possession. 

yes do what he ^ said.

If you really feel like f**king around then the garret 5 bolt is the same as SR20 so you could buy an SR20 dump and then cut it 30cm down from the dump where its a 3" and try and make it fit.

but don't do that. Do what GTSBoy said.

if you're keen, I have a ATR45SAT with a 3" v-band rear, 3.5" dump/down pipe, cat, 4" intake & oil catch can to suit.

Just need to weld on an external to the rear housing OR onto your manifold and done. Everything bolts up tits, maybe just need to mod the cat back to line up.

$1300 + supporting mods = 400kW+

And I’m in the states as well. Shipping could be a pain. And we don’t need a cat where I live. Emissions free zone ???

8 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

if you're keen, I have a ATR45SAT with a 3" v-band rear, 3.5" dump/down pipe, cat, 4" intake & oil catch can to suit.

Just need to weld on an external to the rear housing OR onto your manifold and done. Everything bolts up tits, maybe just need to mod the cat back to line up.

$1300 + supporting mods = 400kW+

You almost never get better results (or results that are worth it) from cutting any corner ever in a turbo setup.

If making a dump pipe up is too expensive/hard/unfeasible due to cost the best answer is wait, or get a highflow turbo made up and shipped by Hypergear (though I am not sure what he suggests for a RB20DET).

In all my boosted cars I’ve never cut corners especially with boost. I e mailed Garrett and am seeing if they can make a gtx2860 with the Nissan hot side. If hypergear has one in stock instead of me having to ship them my turbo I’d be okay with that. 

6 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

You almost never get better results (or results that are worth it) from cutting any corner ever in a turbo setup.

If making a dump pipe up is too expensive/hard/unfeasible due to cost the best answer is wait, or get a highflow turbo made up and shipped by Hypergear (though I am not sure what he suggests for a RB20DET).

The thing is, ultimately if "I have to get a dump pipe/exhaust fabricated" removes the thing from being a viable choice... then sad to say it/budget is not ready. The rest of it requires far far more time, money and thought than the dump pipe fitting up.

"Just get a dump made up" is about as much as anyone thinks about this particular issue because it is a 1 second throwaway, obvious answer at no/minimal cost. I get that it may be harder to obtain in the USA or find a fabricator where you are, but that just means all the more expensive, more complicated stuff is going to be equally hard or harder to find.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kinkstaah said:

The thing is, ultimately if "I have to get a dump pipe/exhaust fabricated" removes the thing from being a viable choice... then sad to say it/budget is not ready. The rest of it requires far far more time, money and thought than the dump pipe fitting up.

"Just get a dump made up" is about as much as anyone thinks about this particular issue because it is a 1 second throwaway, obvious answer at no/minimal cost. I get that it may be harder to obtain in the USA or find a fabricator where you are, but that just means all the more expensive, more complicated stuff is going to be equally hard or harder to find.

Fair point. I guess I’ll have to stay stock turbo than.