SAU Community

R32 GTST Rear End Upgrades..

I scored a great deal on an S13 rear subframe and decided I'm going to build this up completely on the side and swap it out when I'm done with it.  I already purchased gktech reinforcement plates, solid bushings, and adjustable traction rods, toe arms, and camber arms.  Was thinking of just getting a set of nismo lower control arms to complete the assembly.  Now I am trying to figure out the best route to upgrade the axles.  I was thinking of getting a tomei lsd but wanted to make sure that if I just got one that was for my car, that I would be able to upgrade the axles as well.  If that's not an option, what do you guys recommend for a diff/axle swap that would work well on the gtst?  I saw some things about q45 diffs and z32 axles but there was so much conflicting information that it was hard to follow.  So I started my own discussion.  This will mostly be for street but we do have some drift events that I may try out now and then.  I also plan on putting in a cd009 with a solid aluminum driveshaft so if changing to a different diff is a recommendation, I can get the driveshaft made to suit.  I am currently building my RB20 to have some fun and will probably get my hands on a neo at some point to completely build on the side and swap that out later.  That's kind of the reason for building up the rear now so that that part is done when the time comes.  Any info or constructive feedback is appreciated!  

IMG_1604.JPG

S13 rear subframe is the same as the r32 one while reinforcing etc etc is good if your going to do something like that before starting maybe look to upgrade to an s14 subframe with improved geometry (anti squat built in etc) and go from there. All your arms will still fit just need offset solid bushings as the holes are circa 10mm difference in spacing - you can also buy these from gktech

Imo no need to upgrade axles, I have run over 500++ rwhp on any dyno for drift, circuit for over 10 years with only 1 axle being slightly bent (after 5 years, replaced and still going after another 5) 

no need to change diff also, just put a new centre into what you have... work out what you want to do with the car and buy appropriate centre ie: 1, 1.5 or 2 way and then nothing else has to change ie: axles (if you end up going s14 rear subframe you'll just have to change the backing plate of your current r32 gtst diff to a s14 or gtr rear cover

So - 

do your subframe (but preferrably an s14 / r33 one)

do your rear arms

do your diff

this will cover 95% of applications up to 500 ++ rwhp in the most effective, cost efficient, proven manner

done

6 hours ago, bcozican said:

done

I was looking for an s14 but couldnt find anything local and the money people wanted for shipping was insane.  I picked up that s13 frame for $325 shipped to my door.  Which was just a little more than a true hicas delete kit (which was basically what I was after).  But after watching one of Adam LZ's youtube videos of him doing up an s13 frame for his gtst and having it powder coated with all new arms, I decided I would do the same and freshen it up back there.  

As far as the diff and axles go, thats great information.  I was thinking about a tomei 1.5 or 2 way, so I'll just look into going that route and see how it goes.  I appreciate the info man!

• Like 1

$325 for a subframe seems insane but anyway, bcozican pretty much covered it all.

Diff: Keep standard R200 and use nismo/kaaz/tomei etc centre of your choice.

Axles: Keep standard 3x2 or 5x1, they rarely brake if your ride height is correct.

LCA: Don't bother with changing them, the benefits of changing them doesn't outweigh the high cost of new ones.

Gearbox: What kit are you looking at to adapt the CD009? Nothing on the market currently looks and good in my opinion. I just swapped a CD009 into my S13 with SR20 using the mazworx bellhousing adapter kit and it is excellent.

33 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

$325 for a subframe seems insane

That $325 was including shipping.  One guy quoted me $420 just for shipping so that seemed like a steal to me lol.  There are others listed for $500 plus freight.  This is USD btw.  

Only reason I was going to get some LCA's was to get a set powder coated with my other arms before I put the whole assembly together.  If there's no real benefit, I'll just see if I can find a cheap oem set instead of grabbing some nismo's.

Speedtek Racing will apparently take a cd009 bellhousing and adapt it to fit the RB's with no adapter needed.  I recently came across this option and was going to look into it more.  See picture below.  And then I was going to get the gktech shifter relocation kit to pull the shifter forward closer to oem location.  

IMG_0428.JPG

9 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

I would highly highly highly highly recommend googling speedtek and also searching this forum for speedtek. 

oh shit...I'm guessing that immediately says that's a bad idea.  Glad I mentioned it, and glad you asked the question!