SAU Community

Need tuners help! R33 nistune tune failure. Potentially AFM. Need tuners close to Canberra who can help diagnose and tune

Good morning all,

yesterday i went to get my car tuned by one of the only shops in Canberra that do Nistune and was unsuccessful. They were unable to get the AFRs to quickly drop to a safe level while boost was beginning to build without making the fuel map overall too rich. IE the map was either far too rich IE 10:1 or AFR whilst boost was building/peaked at 10psi was still 13-14:1.  The shop questioned the authenticity of my AFM which i know being a z32 they're have been a lot of fakes. However I bought mine new through EFI solutions (AKA TAARKS) along with my injectors which have the counterfeit code and holographic seal etc (injecotrs that is AFM didnt). I have bought many parts from them including genuine nissan, and think they are a genuine dealer, and am hesistant to go buy another one.

The tuning shop did admit it had been a while 6months since they had done a Nistune and i don't tune as many of these older basic setups like mine. I am at a bit of a loss at what to do as i dont really want to throw more money at it without knowing the problem, and would rather take my car to a tuner who is more familiar with my setup (will describe below)/ Skyline who can help diagnose and tune.

My current setup is as follows:

R32 Nistune ECU with latest feature pack

EFI solutions Top fuel rail kit, runnig stock FPR with Bosch 0 280 157 187 495cc Injectors (off the shelf GM LSA injectors)

Bosch Z32 AFM from EFIsoltuions, new in Blue Box (pic below)

Hypergear G2 21U Highflow

Greddy Profec OLED EBC

Custom Hard intake pipe joining to stock Airbox, Return Bov

GTR BOV

NPC clutch

SPlitfire coilpacks

Standard Walbro 255 with the wiring mod. 

NZ EFI AFM adapter harnes

Car setup history

I did purchased the nistune software and cable to get running, although Matt from Nistune did set it up for my injectors and AFM. Had to increase the Kvalue by roughly 60% to get stoich AFRs at idle and light cruise. Car runs  pretty well off boost but richens to at least 10:1 (minimum of my PLX wideband) when making positive pressure.

I have also conducted leak test prior to tune.

This morning check fuel pressure was 3bar at idle wit no vac line approx 39spi with vacc line.

Looking for advice on what to next and tuners close to Canberra who being familiar with this setup can diagnose and tune without throwing a huge amount of money at it.

Cheers

z32 pic2.jpg

z32pic3.jpg

z32 pic3.jpg

One thought was  maybe it could be the AFM adapter as i  did notice some people wiring pin c of the z32 afm to chassis. However probing the Z32 AFM pins C and D(signal ground) are linked so connecting pin c to chassis would essentially put the "signal ground" to chassis which sounds wrong.

Nissan-AFM-Adapter-Harness-R33-S2-and-R34-NEO-to-Z32.jpg

1 hour ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Not saying you got it wrong but just posting up some info from PaulR33

Plus you may have a fake MAF - should have Nissan in the box (actually read the whole thread to get a better picture).

http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?t=1431

(attached)

Installing Z32 AFM.doc 105 kB · 2 downloads

Hey there, thanks for your response and taking the time to read. I did think that too and have looked at a few counterfeit threads including nistunes one.

Bosch have produced a newer z32 afm with no logo in the box, which was updated in Nistunes Afm counterfeit PDF. 

I did also think to check with Paul's wiring diagram and that some z32 wiring plugs have 4 pins and hence to link wires c&d.  However pins c&d are linked together on the z32 afm itself so essentially the same thing

So on the weekend Matt from Nistune sent me a base map set with 495cc injectors and a Rb25AFM.

Uploaded it and attached my stock RB25AFM and same thing, had to increase Kconst by around 55-60% to get it to run, could also do the same with TIM(Total injection Multiplier)

Also did another pressure test with a more accurate gauge. 39PSI with Vacc line same as before 48PSI no Vacc(made a mistake in first gauge reading was increments of 2 not 1 so first gauge reading no vac was 46PSI).

Slightly higher reading are not suprising, considering I'm running the wire mod to a walbro 255.

Also applied 18psi to FPR and Fuel pressure gauge went up to 67PSI so pretty linear.

Also swapped in another z32 afm this one a Genuine Nissan and needed less that 5% adjustment in Kconst between that and my Bosch.

Did a few log runs and between genuine nissan z32AFM and Bosch z32AFM and nothing stood out (from my very limited experience/knowledge).

Maybe the Nissan z32AFM, AFRs drop a bit faster when creating positive pressure compared too the Bosch but would have to do some more runs of tighter controls. Was thinking that maybe a scaling issue too.

Welcome to trying educated ideas, or sending logs or maps too anyone who would be willing to help.

Basically want to diagnose if there is a problem or if it was a tuner issue before spending $150-$200 a hour, get halfway through a tune to realise it won't work.

Cheers

IMG_20190728_132610615.jpg

IMG_20190728_132559472.jpg

IMG_20190728_132759793.jpg

The only thing that occurs to me is that your injectors seem unfashionably small. People today would go for more like 1200 or 1600s especially if considering E85.

What duty cycles are you reaching (and for that matter what is your power goal)?

23 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

The only thing that occurs to me is that your injectors seem unfashionably small. People today would go for more like 1200 or 1600s especially if considering E85.

What duty cycles are you reaching (and for that matter what is your power goal)?

Yes i know :) was wanting to stay as close to my old tune in terms of response and daily drive enjoyment (200rwkw with SAFC). New setup should make 230-250kW.

Max injector cycle 57%. I've attached pics of AFR down peak. Boost response is close to stock turbo. Making boost threshold (currently 10psi) roughly 3000rpm in 4th.

Max Duty Cycle  10psi.PNG

4th gear pull Peak afr 14.4_2200rpm.PNG

4th gear pull where AFR ramps below a safer 2550RPM.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

Got the car tuned by DVS JEZ, no issues with fundamental setup compared to previous attempt. 

Was hesitant to upgrade prior in case there was actually an issue but will now be looking at a new inter cooler and maybe a better cat as Jez couldn't get more out of it "too prone to detonation", note the 230kw run was abandoned.

IMG_20190817_130555392.jpg

I'll definitely do another one before trying again. Spent a lot of time doing a pretty comprehensive boost leak test before. Pumped up to 20psi took 20seconds to drop to 15.

Might be the limit of the turbo, turns out the result which netted 250 by Dr Drift had an ext gate, exh cam gear and maybe a ported manifold

The Nistune ECU assumes a constant fuel pressure, you need to duty cycle the pump at lower RPM/load if you don't want to run rich there. You might be able to tune around that problem but generally speaking you want to avoid confounding variables in your fuel tables as much as possible.

27 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

you need to duty cycle the pump at lower RPM/load if you don't want to run rich there

If your fuel reg is working correctly and your fuel pressure is correct based on your manifold pressure, i.e. the tip pressure is constant then there's no reason to reduce the fuel pump's flow capacity.

Stock Skylines do not run a deadhead fuel system, they're all pressure/vacuum referenced.

If you know what you're doing in Nistune you can get the car to idle at stoich.

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested with return flows, attached are the results for pressure drop, test points turbo outlet and intake manifold. This was done on the road not a dyno so the results vary a bit but can see the drop increase above 5000rpm

R33 Avo return flow pressure drop difference.png

Edited by Pattey21
  • Like 1