SAU Community

V35 Fuel economy problem?

Just a quick question, im getting about 380-410km on a full tank of fuel. and did about 200km on 32L of fuel which is quite high compared to my mates. he gets around 600km on a tank of fuel. So is my fuel needle off or is this just normal? Its an auto btw but use the semi auto (manual option) to drive.

Very common that the fuel sensor is dirty.

There are some Topics on this if you go searching

So if you find that when you fill up your tank (to the top) the fuel gauge doesn't go up and past the full line. You may need to clean the sensor.

Pull off the lower part of your back seat to get to your fuel tank pumps.

there will be one on the drivers side and passengers side. open both. pull out the pumps. get a cotton tip and clean the metal contacts.

Best to find the topic on this. there are pics ;) 

• Thanks 1

are you basing your figures on how much fuel you are actually putting in the car?  or what the fuel gauge says?  Fuel gauges are usually not accurate enough to use for judging economy when they are working well.

Fill the car, reset the trip meter, drive for a few hundred KM then fill the tank again, you can then work out your economy based on the distance you travelled and the amount of fuel used.  My 6MT is usually in the mid 10L/100km with 100% light urban driving and mid 7s on the highway.

If you are really only getting 200km from 32L of fuel, this is quite bad, coming in at 16L/100km unless you are almost always in heavy peak hour traffic.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:45 PM, Classic_Aussie said:

Just a quick question, im getting about 380-410km on a full tank of fuel. and did about 200km on 32L of fuel which is quite high compared to my mates. he gets around 600km on a tank of fuel. So is my fuel needle off or is this just normal? Its an auto btw but use the semi auto (manual option) to drive.

I was having similar issues with my v36. Was getting about 300-325km per tank.
Annoyed me enough to do the following

Cleaned MAF Sensors, Replaced filters, Reset ECU

unsure if the ECU on the v35 is "self learning" like mine but when you reconnect it all, Drive in (D) only for about 50km (drive like a f**king grandma, slow and steady)

I did this and now i get atleast 500 to a tank. i got 700 on the highway before i filled up.

Also as fun as it might be to drive in Tiptronic, it will make your economy worse. I only use it every now and again.

22 hours ago, sonicii said:

are you basing your figures on how much fuel you are actually putting in the car?  or what the fuel gauge says?  Fuel gauges are usually not accurate enough to use for judging economy when they are working well.

Fill the car, reset the trip meter, drive for a few hundred KM then fill the tank again, you can then work out your economy based on the distance you travelled and the amount of fuel used.  My 6MT is usually in the mid 10L/100km with 100% light urban driving and mid 7s on the highway.

If you are really only getting 200km from 32L of fuel, this is quite bad, coming in at 16L/100km unless you are almost always in heavy peak hour traffic.

I did that and drove for 200km then used that info with the L filled up and got 15L per 100km. But if that’s the case would that mean i can drive past the Empty (E) o the fuel gauge since its inaccurate. ?

I did that and drove for 200km then used that info with the L filled up and got 15L per 100km. But if that’s the case would that mean i can drive past the Empty (E) o the fuel gauge since its inaccurate. ?

3F939F75-2590-4197-803D-9C44C1C4FE6C.jpeg

Technically yes, but don't assume you can use the entire 80L tank capacity, once you drop below about 5L remaining you are going to start sucking air in corners/inclines.