SAU Community

The RB powered Silvia I test drove

QuickR33Melb

I'm having a look for a new car and I thought I'd take a squiz at this 1992 Silvia for sale with an RB20DET engine. The car looked nice from the outside and when the owner told me that it keeps up with GTR's I was thinking "Yeah whatever"

Anyway I took the little sucker for a spin and because he was working out the back of Broady in an industrial estate I could drive a tad faster than on the open roads.

Anyway this thing is mind blowing! I thought I drove a pretty faster car but this thing shot up to 100km/h like you wouldn't believe!!

Have any of you ever driven an RB powered Silvia? What do you think?

I can see the reason people drop an RB into an s13 (buy an old auto Q for next to nothing). But i still think its pointless if it had an sr20det to begin with, the performance differances are not that great, its not even a rare conversion anymore. I'd rather spend the cash differance on mods for the sr20. And some would argue (maybe even harder) that the differance again in price would be better spend on a ca18...

I know this is a pointless statment on a skyline forum but anyway... :)

RB20 powered sils.... Vs thier SR20 equipped counter parts are slower.

The SR20 is a better motor than the RB20.

get into an SR with the same mods as that RB20 and the sil would go way harder and have a much better mid-range

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Google tells me that's a Japanese Rat Snake... 2m long? Man I think Australia has traumatised me to think all snakes are dangerous unless they're pythons. Also... "16 years later..." is that a record on SAU @PranK?
    • Yep, I really miss mine. I dont, however, miss it's understeer. Hard to find a genuine 'Sport' model these days. That sounds awesome! Good fun and great result!  I'd love to do a 1/4 in mine now that its reasonably healthy with the tune. I last did a run in my white GTR, I think it was a 12.3 and I can't remember the mph and I think the little E90 might be quicker.
    • FWIW, I made 372kW on a Mainline dyno, with a stock motor (bar head studs & usual bolt ons) on E85 (pretty timid timing in the mid range) and it blew up after a year of track use. Probably got like 5~6 Wakefield track days and 1x skid pan somewhere in between.
    • Plus, if you want to shoot for over 300rwkW, the Z32 won't really cut it and retaining the PowerFC is getting to be a poor choice. You're going to be much happier with management that can actually see what's going on and have a hope of stopping it from going bad when something breaks (think oil pump). So, the $$ situation is probably different to what you think it is.
    • 350-400kw will not keep that basically stock motor basically stock very long, especially for track only use. It will decide to need a rebuild pretty quickly. I'd go smaller, and not cheap out with a Pulsar item based on older tech. Get a G25 550/660. Just better in every way. Don't think about changing a turbo until AFTER you change your injectors (S15 injectors x6? What CC are those?) and coils/fuel pump. They won't keep up with any aftermarket turbo.