SAU Community

R33 clutch engagement

MindlessR33

Hey guys, 

Just bought a R33 today and I've never had such a hard time driving a car. The drive itself is fine, feels super healthy, but the clutch is super aggressive. It has a OS Giken of some sort according to previous owner. The issue I'm having is that it engages almost at the top of the pedal and it's instant. Seems like there 1-2cm of distance between full engagement and disengagement. 

Is there anything I can do about that? I've been driving manuals for 10+ years and I stalled this car 30-35 times today at red lights. 

Check it is bled properly.

On a different car I moved the pivot point and ussed an adjustable rod to get the take up point where I wanted it and a wider range of modulation, so there are things you can do, but it will never drive like a stock clutch.

Just now, Ben C34 said:

Check it is bled properly.

On a different car I moved the pivot point and ussed an adjustable rod to get the take up point where I wanted it and a wider range of modulation, so there are things you can do, but it will never drive like a stock clutch.

Ok, as long as I can get a bit more modulation out of it I'll be happy. If the revs aren't high enough there's no saving it when it starts to stall. I'll check it out tomorrow and see what it seems to be, was too dark by the time I made it home. 

unfortunately with this sort of clutch you have to be aggressive with them, meaning you have to get the revs up or you will stall it every time.i have the same problem with mine as they get warmer they grab instantly. but I had no option as I was needing something to handle lots of grunt,i am use to it now but you get a few funny looks from some people as you take off.

4 hours ago, MindlessR33 said:

Ok, as long as I can get a bit more modulation out of it I'll be happy

As said above. You'll not get any more modulation out of it unless there is some left at the top of the travel, in which case it will be eating itself as you drive it now. All you'll be able to do is move the takeup point somewhere else.

9 hours ago, robin schembri said:

unfortunately with this sort of clutch you have to be aggressive with them, meaning you have to get the revs up or you will stall it every time.i have the same problem with mine as they get warmer they grab instantly. but I had no option as I was needing something to handle lots of grunt,i am use to it now but you get a few funny looks from some people as you take off.

Yeah, I'm feeling much better about it now. Found some hills out in the country this morning and practiced for a bit. I almost always get it now and if it feels like I'm not giving her enough I just let the tires bark. Thanks!

Good to see you persisted and now you're getting the handle of it, now you get my last comment I chirp the wheels all the time just to get the thing moving, on the flat its fine but once you take off on a incline its more challenging, great to see you didn't bag the clutch its just what it is.mines a ceramic clutch which can handle a lot more heat, I use mine down the strip so I needed something to handle the launches.