SAU Community

R33 GTR upgrade from Nismo S-Tune

RB335

Hi Guys.

I've got Nismo S-Tunes in my R33 GTR.  I like the ride comfort and handling but at times you can still feel the car could do with something better.

I'm hoping to retain good comfort that the S-Tunes give but get better handling.  Has anyone here on a R33 GTR personally switched from S-Tunes to something else
and can give feedback?

I have read reports from a guy who went from S-Tunes to Ohlins and loved the difference in both handling with still soaking up the bumps well.
Having heard that feedback they will have to be the go, unless there is something locally produced in Australia that can be just as good if not better

Other option is MCA Reds which always appear to get recommended.    Oddly, Nismo and Ohlins have spring rates almost even, while MCA have the front almost double of the rear.

Hell even if the entry level MCA Comfort-Pro's are going to be better than dated Nismo design, I could start with them.

The car also does have 700hp, currently grips perfectly with no wheelspin, I was thinking to go the Ohlins as they aren't too heavy spring rates to help give some squat under power

Any advice appreciated keen to hear your experiences

Cheers.

Edited by RB335

Going off spring rates alone to gauge how harsh/firm they are doesn’t tell you much at all. You have valving and fluid used also to consider.

The springs in my current setup are 15 mm front/9 mm rear and are much better at soaking up a bad road than a set of “softer BC’s” (which feel like you have railway sleepers as suspension) and even Nismo S tunes.

You get what you pay for here and a $1099 set isn’t worth the box they come in. Might be 36,000 way adjustable but it’s hard, hard, hard, harder and hardest.

Bilstien PSS9’s and the Ohlin DFV’s are probably a good place to start or as you have already said, the guys at MCA. 

FWIW, I’ve had stock, Nismo S tunes, Nismo R tunes and the current setup which is Modified PSS9’s. 

• Like 1

Do you have standard sway bars? If you do, and you're currently happy with the Nismo's, upgrade the sway bars first before looking at different shocks. They'll make the car more planted, especially during spirited driving, and if you get adjustable ones, you can tune the cars handling characteristics. How's the rest of the steering/suspension set-up/condition? Tyres etc. Must be okay if it hooks up with high h/p?

1 hour ago, White GTS-T said:

Do you have standard sway bars? If you do, and you're currently happy with the Nismo's, upgrade the sway bars first before looking at different shocks. They'll make the car more planted, especially during spirited driving, and if you get adjustable ones, you can tune the cars handling characteristics. How's the rest of the steering/suspension set-up/condition? Tyres etc. Must be okay if it hooks up with high h/p?

Whilst this is all true, it will conflict with MCA's approach, should you go down the path of getting coilovers from them. They are very much more in the "control roll with spring rate" camp rather than "control roll with bars" camp.

I can see the benefits of both approaches. Loss of independence side-to-side from using big bars is a negative. Hasn't stopped me from putting big adjustables on though. But then, mt spring rates are only in the 5kg/mm range.

16 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Whilst this is all true, it will conflict with MCA's approach, should you go down the path of getting coilovers from them. They are very much more in the "control roll with spring rate" camp rather than "control roll with bars" camp.

I can see the benefits of both approaches. Loss of independence side-to-side from using big bars is a negative. Hasn't stopped me from putting big adjustables on though. But then, mt spring rates are only in the 5kg/mm range.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to hint towards. If the OP is currently happy with his Nismo's, upgraded sway bars might be just the thing he is looking for. Put it this way, it is cheaper and easier to upgrade the sway bars first, than go all out with some new shocks.