SAU Community

What do you think of my build so far??

Hey, everyone!!

I’ve got a 1989 GTR. Bought a stock Rb26 out of a 99’ and I’m currently rebuilding it now while it’s outside the car.

so as of right now, I’ve got on the motor:

Garrett 2860R- 5’s with HKS oil restrictor 

ported stock manifolds

HKS turbo elbows

tomei VALC cams with 254 duration and 9.15mm of lift 

Radium Fuel rail

800CC injectors by Deatschwerks

new OEM timing belt idler pulley, tensioner spring, tensioner pulley

HKS adjustable intake and exhaust cams 

new OEM water pump

full HKS exhaust

HKS downpipes

extended oil filter housing with -10AN fittings to an oil cooler

Breather hoses to an oil catch can from the valve covers 

Nismo thermostat

Fuel pressure regulator

All new HKS gaskets

Tomei timing belt

tomei oil gallery orifice

tomei oil pan baffle

N1 Oil pump with spool forged gears 

Tomei valve springs and retainers

everything else on the motor is pretty much stock that I haven’t listed here. Stock rods and pistons.

the chassis is completely built. It has a full GKTech suspension and BcForged coilovers, fuel cell in the trunk with dual high flow fuel pumps, battery relocation to the trunk and a full heads up AEM display with an AEM infinity ECU. 

i think my question would be, (being new to the RB26 motor) would be, how solid is this build? I’m honestly looking for a reliable street car. Looking for a realistic 300-400 horsepower reliably while also being able to have fun driving in a spirited way. Not looking to bounce off the rev limiter. 

im hearing that the RB26 has some oil issues and I’ve read up on the N1 oil pump. I feel confident in my build in so far but I’m not too sure about the n1 pump with those spool forged gears. Is that enough to reach what I’m achieving assuming I’m not a jackass bouncing off of the rev limiter??

I’ve included photos of my motor bay and the car as well.

thank you all in advance!

warm regards,

justin

87B6DCF2-B897-4B35-AF01-38823D2B6731.jpeg

4038C87B-1474-4610-A82F-6205CA8BF7FE.jpeg

EFE1515B-FFE5-4C4A-B854-3F9D9B2E7367.jpeg

6543E7AE-B150-4995-BBAB-38A77FD6CB18.jpeg

C218A1E0-3365-4EA3-89EA-F7FD4DB21229.jpeg

66F7707D-07DE-43D4-9C15-9DB1C7EBA731.jpeg

• Like 3

and im going to save you here before you get eatn alive... 300-400hp well you already have that off the shelf....reliable is a wierd word in this world. usually comes down to the driver and the maintenance not the hp level mate. 300-400 is peanuts for her. n1 pump ive never been a fan off. seem like you have good capability mechanically.. with those turbos you could get much more and still be well reliable as you would say. nothings reliable really its a twin rb single that thing while you got the motor out. sell the twins. you will understand later they just suck.

Nice color, I like it!

Not sure if you plan to run stock intercooler, but the story of stock intercooler good for 600hp is BS.  I would recommend adding an aftermarket intercooler.  There is no clutch mentioned in your list, so I would also suggest a new ATS carbon twin plate.  

If your goal is a robust 400hp, I think the -5s are not the right choice.  They hit the 400hp mark at later RPM and are meant for more.

• Like 1