SAU Community

LED Headlight Bulb install?

On 5/3/2022 at 12:44 AM, GTSBoy said:

What you talkin' about Willis? You can v. easily buy LHD Morimotos..... and there is nothing on the outer lens to change the cutoff/beam shape created by the projector and its internals.

I've seen some photometric data on Morimoto projectors like the Mini H1 and it can be pretty awful. It's hard to say in the absence of data whether the OEM R33 projector is any good but it at least met presumably UN/ECE standards with the RHD cutoff shield. So I had an LHD cutoff shield made for the OEM projector and I have my fingers crossed that is at least remotely SAE compliant.

The only correct answer is to replace the shitty halogen projectors with something modern, D2S projectors very easily go into the housing. It's literally a no brainer unless you're dumbe enought to believe that some shitty LED bulb will give you a better output.

We may well be at the point where even the shitty LED bulbs are actually better than a halogen bulb in the original projectors. I cannot, however, get past the need to have a crappy heatsink hanging out the back of the permanently unsealed rear of the projector in order to use a crappy LED bulb.

What I'd like to look into next, is.... what is the OEM LED projector from some common car that will serve as well as the HID projector out of the old Honda Accord and be easily retroable?

Koito low beam projector out of various Japanese cars should fit without too much trouble, just need to fab up a bracket. I have a bunch of projectors to try, haven't got around to it yet...

There's also the Morimoto M-LED 2.0 which is basically almost a bolt in projector, easy peasy LHD LED projector with probably the best aftermarket output available.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:08 AM, niZmO_Man said:

Koito low beam projector out of various Japanese cars should fit without too much trouble, just need to fab up a bracket. I have a bunch of projectors to try, haven't got around to it yet...

There's also the Morimoto M-LED 2.0 which is basically almost a bolt in projector, easy peasy LHD LED projector with probably the best aftermarket output available.

Isn't that M-LED projector worse than the Mini D2S though for light output? I feel like I remember reading that somewhere. Also not a fan of the need to clearance the housings to fit the cooling solution. I'm sure LED is better if properly utilized but it seems like a lot of the solutions out there are limited by thermals.

I am considering reporting the above 2 posts as spam. First reason.....seems not to know anything about the projector housings that we're talking about. Second reason, link to masturbatory content suitable for Boostcruising or some similar ESL version of same.

Upvotes?

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 1:08 AM, GTSBoy said:

I am considering reporting the above 2 posts as spam. First reason.....seems not to know anything about the projector housings that we're talking about. Second reason, link to masturbatory content suitable for Boostcruising or some similar ESL version of same.

Upvotes?

Guaranteed to be spam, the pattern is super obvious to spot. First post is vague and seems maybe relevant, then they start linking random crap.

On 5/17/2022 at 7:27 PM, Robzilla32 said:

Morimoto state that the M LED 2.0 bolt pattern is the same as the Mini D2S 4.0 so is this bracket likely to work with the M LED 2.0?

https://lightwerkz.net/collections/retrofit-brackets/products/nissan-r32-to-d2s-brackets

Looks like it. I believe I saw a kit a while back that was M-LED specific and was identical to the Mini D2S other than a metal mounting bracket while the HID one was something else. Fitting an M-LED could be interesting. A Morimoto engineer(?) mentioned that it is possible to easily meet FMVSS and add OEM-style squirrel spotters, they just don't because the market demands a certain look to the projectors: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/general-discussion/leds/1464681-mled-2-0-is-out-thoughts

So I hadn't got any notifications for this topic for some reason lol

But anyway, yeah TurboTapin summed up my view point tbh. Not a perfect improvement, but an improvement over what it used to look like. Which, for reference, in my case used to look like 2 candles in jam jars on the front of my car 😂

To the perfectionists, don't stress, I do intend to pull the lights apart and do a proper job in future lol. 

But for now, I just modified the bulb holder to take the LEDs. Don't have any pics of the light currently, I'll try get some soon, beam cut off is nice and defined though so I don't blind everyone. 

So yeah not very hard, just a bit of modification required with a dremel mostly for anyone curious, here's a photo of what it looked like before and after. LED slides in and the silver collar locks it in place, leave the collar attached to the bulb holder so it can be clipped in first. 

IMG_20211202_145030.jpg

When I first got my R32, I put in a H3 HID kit. It had a defined cutoff, but lots of glare because of the design of the projectors. Also had two thin columns of light, so it was worse than with halogens in it.
Swapped in FX-R and never looked back. Mini D2S is piss easy to do with the brackets (so would the MLED 2.0 by the sounds of it).

IMO there's no point trying to shoehorn in a crappy LED bulb when you can just replace the whole thing with a far superior unit for not much more money and effort.