SAU Community

Viper Alarm System 855 xv 7142v fob

TreeFrog108

i have an old honda civic 1998 which came with an aftermarket viper alarm system. the brain says 855wv the fob says 7142v

i lost my fob. it fell off my key ring. i was looking for the valet button. i'm not sure i have one. can anyone help me looking at these photos? i'm not sure what the little black box is. could it just be to do with the window smash sensor? 

trying to work out how to program a new fob without a valet button or transmittor on the rear view mirror i saw in some youtube videos. Please help! thanks!

viper 1.jpg

viper 2.jpg

21 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Not having a valet button is just a matter of.....wiring up a valet button, no? Surely that alarm is supposed to have one....

yes i guess. just thought it may be there and i was missing it. 

or thought somone might recognise what that black box is, .

Up front: I don't know much about these things.

But I was wondering, isn't the whole point of alarm systems that you can't disable or disarm them unless you have the keyfob? I would think that the valet button only works after disabling with the fob. Otherwise it would defeat the point, right?

Personally I would consider reaching out to someone who works with this stuff. Possibly someone

- who installs alarm systems

- or who deals with lost key situations like a locksmith

Surely this happens all the time :)

58 minutes ago, soviet_merlin said:

Up front: I don't know much about these things.

But I was wondering, isn't the whole point of alarm systems that you can't disable or disarm them unless you have the keyfob? I would think that the valet button only works after disabling with the fob. Otherwise it would defeat the point, right?

Personally I would consider reaching out to someone who works with this stuff. Possibly someone

- who installs alarm systems

- or who deals with lost key situations like a locksmith

Surely this happens all the time :)

thanks Soviet. The valet button is used to program a new remote. the programming will only work when the key is turned to 'on' and the door is open.. so its not like its a way to get around the security

• Thanks 1

thanks for your input. 

the other thing i'm wondering are how interchangeable are the fobs? 

i want to make a new one to have spare.. i can source the same model as the one i have, on ebay, from USA. expensive, expensive postage and longish wait time, they seem quite generic ... ?

On 12/9/2022 at 3:26 PM, TreeFrog108 said:

i want to make a new one to have spare.. i can source the same model as the one i have, on ebay, from USA. expensive, expensive postage and longish wait time, they seem quite generic ... ?

Perzactly what I had to do recently when one of my original pair shat the bed after 20 years of use.