SAU Community

Manual 370gt forced induction and power delivery options

Hey all,

Picked up a manual 370gt not long ago. Have purchased BC BR coilovers and will be doing new bushings all round and front & rear sway bars shortly.

My car is just shy of 200k kms but she still pulls hard and feels very tight all round. 

I was hoping to get your opinions on what FI route I should take.

Option 1: Replace gallery gaskets and mid mount single turbo my existing VQ37. Using SOHO motorsports' single turbo dyno as a guide, I'd be looking at approx 600WHP and 600nm wheel at 5k RPM. Ride this motor out till it dies then put in a new VQ when the day comes.

Option 2: Sell my VQ and do a VR30DDTT swap. I've been extensively researching this swap and know of 3 370z swaps, two 350zs and one 350gt (US so G35). I can't see why a 370gt should be too different to a 370z. The OEM motor mounts can be retained, I'll need a z1 adapter plate for my JK41A transmission, q60 ecu, harness, engine room harness, CANBUS module, custom intakes, lower downpipes, heat exchanger and tune. This will net me less HP - approx 450whp but more torque at lower RPMs for more RPMs - 675nm wheel at 2.5k to 4.5k.

Putting aside sourcing parts, labour and installation timeframes, what would be your preference for a daily driver/occasional track visit car?  Boosted VQ for 600WHP with a lower,  shorter, later torque curve or a VR30 with 150 less HP but significantly better torque delivery?

Any shop recommendations in Sydney, Wollongong, Newcastle or Canberra?

Would love to hear your thoughts

Al

Edited by VQ37AF
Tags

Cheers Duncan! I'm definitely leaning towards the VR as I think the torque band would allow for more fun street driving. I'm writing off first gear for both options because of traction but second gear would be way more usable in the VR because at 2.5k rpm I'm only at about 40-45 kph. Turbo VQ only picks up at 3.5-4k and at that point I'm doing 60 already. 

If second gear was much shorter and sat at 3.5k rpm at 40 kph I'd go the VQ route no question. It's a shame custom gearbox gearing is so expensive. 

Dyno comparisons for reference: 

First is SOHO single turbo for the VQ37 and second is an AMS' "Red Alpha stage 3" for the q50/60 VR30. 

What do you guys think looks better for a daily?

VQ37 single turbo dyno SOHO.png

AMS stage 3 VR30 dyno 4900 aud.png

On 12/9/2022 at 11:39 AM, VQ37AF said:

Hey all,

Picked up a manual 370gt not long ago. Have purchased BC BR coilovers and will be doing new bushings all round and front & rear sway bars shortly.

My car is just shy of 200k kms but she still pulls hard and feels very tight all round. 

I was hoping to get your opinions on what FI route I should take.

Option 1: Replace gallery gaskets and mid mount single turbo my existing VQ37. Using SOHO motorsports' single turbo dyno as a guide, I'd be looking at approx 600WHP and 600nm wheel at 5k RPM. Ride this motor out till it dies then put in a new VQ when the day comes.

Option 2: Sell my VQ and do a VR30DDTT swap. I've been extensively researching this swap and know of 3 370z swaps, two 350zs and one 350gt (US so G35). I can't see why a 370gt should be too different to a 370z. The OEM motor mounts can be retained, I'll need a z1 adapter plate for my JK41A transmission, q60 ecu, harness, engine room harness, CANBUS module, custom intakes, lower downpipes, heat exchanger and tune. This will net me less HP - approx 450whp but more torque at lower RPMs for more RPMs - 675nm wheel at 2.5k to 4.5k.

Putting aside sourcing parts, labour and installation timeframes, what would be your preference for a daily driver/occasional track visit car?  Boosted VQ for 600WHP with a lower,  shorter, later torque curve or a VR30 with 150 less HP but significantly better torque delivery?

Any shop recommendations in Sydney, Wollongong, Newcastle or Canberra?

Would love to hear your thoughts

Al

Well i love driving my q60 and i wouldn't go back to the v36.

But i don't drive track so..... 

If actually going to track it, I wouldn't bother adding power. 

Quality after market radiator and big oil cooler (pwr or setrab) as they suffer from high temps after a quick lap. My 370 gets 1 hot lap and need to back off.

If set on boost look at the BTW r35 turbo kit. As that is the best value and uses most of the factory parts like heat shields and intakes. Needs like 1 or 2 after market elbows. That way can use all aftermarket bolt ons.

• Like 1