SAU Community

VL Turbo Water and Oil line connection

Could someone please help me with what goes where. 

Attached are pics.
Which are:
- Coolant feed
- coolant return
- oil feed 
- oil return 

Can only see 3 lines from the stock turbo. Where does the water return connect on the turbo please. This is from a RB30 VL.

Thanks heaps

3D107E88-7EC4-400F-A313-A48630D1B098.jpeg

4151FA75-8BF8-45C4-AE61-A471B1F4BCE6.jpeg

Yellow is the oil return. Oil supply will be on the opposite side (the top, which is underneath the turbo in the photo.

The other two are water in and out, and it probably doesn't really matter which is which on the turbo itself (seeing as they are arranged horizontally) but obviously one will line up with the block fitting via its hard line and the other will go to the supply, likely via some extra (longer, possibly missing) lines, as stated by @Duncan above.

4 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Yellow is the oil return. Oil supply will be on the opposite side (the top, which is underneath the turbo in the photo.

The other two are water in and out, and it probably doesn't really matter which is which on the turbo itself (seeing as they are arranged horizontally) but obviously one will line up with the block fitting via its hard line and the other will go to the supply, likely via some extra (longer, possibly missing) lines, as stated by @Duncan above.

Which is water in and out please?

Reasonably sure its the port on wastegate side thats the coolant out.

Also doesn't really matter. It just flows across the core.  Ideally the out port is a bit higher than the in port to get some thermo syphon action when engine shut off, but wouldn't lose sleep over it

Have you got your head around the oil feed and return yet?

What do you mean top or bottom connection on block?

You have posted a picture that clearly labels the ports on that side. There is one for coolant and it's the supply. What bottom connection are you talking about?

Im sure thats the same water gallery with both plugs.

You can't have the feed and return at the same place, there would be no flow.

There is a reason why the factory have the return go elsewhere.

Hi all, in the process of putting the afm in the intercooler piping 2.5 inch, could someone please let me know how they have connected the afm in the piping? Did you use some kind of an adaptor? If yes, what is it called and where can I get it from ? TIA.

red Vl is a sample of how I would like to setup my AFM. Thanks 

C70FC0F5-5BCC-4C9B-AE96-83BA11D1FF8A.png

0ADEF13F-53A2-459C-A284-ADA326589683.jpeg

Don't put the Z32 in the cooler pipe. (Is that a Z32? It doesn't look like a VL AFM, but my memory for them is not great). You have to cut the plastic housing up and find a way to glue/hose clamp it onto the pipe. There are no useful "adapter" for something that has a hose barb at one end and a 4 bolt flange at the other.

You could make a matching 4 bolt flange that has a hose barb on it and insert the whole AFM into the boost pipe using 2x silicone joiners, but then you would have 4 more hose clamps heady to pop off. And the hose barb on the AFM is not intended to clamp a hose against boost - it's designed to live on the suction side of the turbo.

The correct course of action is to buy a blade style AFM (ie VQ or VR) and an alloy mounting boss (available off the shelf almost everywhere) that can be welded direct onto an alloy cooler pipe.

Don't argue. There are a bunch of real shit ways to do this, and a good way.

• Like 1