SAU Community

BNR32 cluster lights on/off intermittently

vjm99

Hi guys!

I want to finally finish my interior but one thing is driving me absolutely nuts.

The cluster lighting just gives up intermittently. It can be any one or multiple of the 5 bulbs. It occurs mostly on the left side, speedo/fuel gauge, but not exclusively. Then they suddenly come back either by themselves or by twisting the headlight switch back and forth a few times.

I have replaced all 5 bulbs, cleaned the connectors on the bulb housing, headlight switch, and the tracks behind the cluster using isopropyl alcohol. Still happening. I don’t see any loose contacts except that my headlight switch is a bit “sandy” feeling and sometimes doesn’t click into place in a satisfying manner.

To add to that, sometimes only one (can be left, right, or none) headlights work. I need to play around with the headlight switch and find that “sweet spot” where both headlights work. Could be a bad switch of course, but that doesn’t really explain the cluster problem. No issues with my taillights or any other lighting either.

Would appreciate any help! Removing the dash and cluster over and over again is getting boring image.gif.c3384e5907bdeb191ea808775cd2d401.gif

Cheers,
- Vincent

2 hours ago, vjm99 said:

Hi guys!

I want to finally finish my interior but one thing is driving me absolutely nuts.

The cluster lighting just gives up intermittently. It can be any one or multiple of the 5 bulbs. It occurs mostly on the left side, speedo/fuel gauge, but not exclusively. Then they suddenly come back either by themselves or by twisting the headlight switch back and forth a few times.

I have replaced all 5 bulbs, cleaned the connectors on the bulb housing, headlight switch, and the tracks behind the cluster using isopropyl alcohol. Still happening. I don’t see any loose contacts except that my headlight switch is a bit “sandy” feeling and sometimes doesn’t click into place in a satisfying manner.

To add to that, sometimes only one (can be left, right, or none) headlights work. I need to play around with the headlight switch and find that “sweet spot” where both headlights work. Could be a bad switch of course, but that doesn’t really explain the cluster problem. No issues with my taillights or any other lighting either.

Would appreciate any help! Removing the dash and cluster over and over again is getting boring image.gif.c3384e5907bdeb191ea808775cd2d401.gif

Cheers,
- Vincent

You sure it isn't a bad headlight switch? I need to look at the R32 wiring diagrams to be sure but I'm not sure those issues are as independent as they seem.

We talked about this a month ago including posting the wiring of the switches

Headlight switch is a common failure point on R32, attempting to clean is an option but I would (did!) replace the whole switch as they are readily available new, and you won't have to worry again until 2055.

If you still have issues with the dash lights after replacing the switch I'd check the loom between the headlight switch and dash for continuity issues or loose/damaged pins, and it is possible (but less likely) if there is a single ground for the dash lights and nothing else that has an issue.

10 hours ago, vjm99 said:

Could be a bad switch of course

Definitely is a bad switch. Duncan linked to the recent thread where I gave advice on this.

As to the dash lights, get the wiring diagram and check it out closely. You want to understand where each section of the dash lighting gets its 12V and its ground, and pursue those into the circuit board and wiring, to see if you can find the culprit. Just randomly cleaning stuff only works if the stuff you're cleaning is the dirty culprit. If the problem is a bit further back in the wiring, you solve nothing.