SAU Community

Should you buy cheap Chinese tyres?

Should you buy cheap Chinese tyres?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Agree with Bogan bloke above. I like running quality tyres on my street driven cars. Wife's daily as well as my daily have Michelin PS4, good tyre that does everything you'd expect without fuss and reasonably priced for popular sizes that aren't enormous.

Skyline had Yokohama on it for many years but have recently fitted zestino tyres. Just did a quick Google and they're actually Chinese made (jap designed apparently). Surprisingly they grip really well, wet and dry and haven't died, YET. Obviously on the higher end of CCP tyres but still China nonetheless. 

Chinese parts can be good, it's all in the quality assurance, and materials, but, that costs more, but, typically not alot more, it is up to the customer who is getting the parts made, some are happy to pay more for quality good QA and materials because the savings are in the cheap labour costs, so they can sell a quality product at a lower price point, other customers who are getting parts made give no farks and want their products to be as cheap as possible for maximum profit, so minimal QA and average materials 

Hence why some Chinese parts are crap, whilst other are good

Much like parts and other stuff made in different countries around the world, including "made in Australia", "made in Japan", "made in 'Merica" branded gear

• Like 3

On 15/4/2024 at 10:05 AM, Kinkstaah said:

I should restate, after watching the video I feel bad about my 'Maybe' vote and want to revoke it. My 'Maybe' was basically dependent on scientific testing to know for sure.... and now I know for sure.

So just don't. I don't doubt that some time in the future there will be good tyres that come out of there like pretty much any developing place.

lol I felt the same, I have been lucky being recommended the GOOD cheaper tyres cause I was doing it tough and rego was up. They did well but I gave them the respect of a stripper lover and just chilled in my everyday car.  My Skyline will only ever have capable street tyres

Edited by Watermouse
Correcting statement to read clearer
  • Like 1

On my commuter B Class merc I run Winrun R330 run flats. They feel the same as the Michelins they replaced and so much better than the Pirelli PZ4's that my mate runs on his A Class. The road noise is marginally more according to the noise app on my iPhone at 80km/h by 0.3db. I've heard Sailun's are pretty good too. There are good Chinese brands and ones with terrible QC. There's also heaps of non Chinese brands that manufacture in China. Buy tyres from someone local that you can have a decent warranty and quality conversation with.

Why not... tyre compounds and tech have come a long way since we used to question if Kumho's were any good in 2010. Plus I'm not picking up the tab of the corporate motheship sponsoring the F1 or other sporting events.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/04/2024 at 11:48 PM, PranK said:

Seriously? How can anything be terrible when it has "claw" in the name? What a let down.

I have almost wanted to buy them just for the name; sounds like old episodes of Get Smart. "The craw?"  "It is Woad Craw!"

• Haha 3