SAU Community

interior make over

astroboi

oh btw becareful of the air con vents

Amen to that. You can tell where Nissan saved pennies on the R32 dash :cheers:

Out of interest, does anyone know of a place that makes or can supply aftermarket R32 air vents? I was thinking of seeing if I can get some replacements made out of aluminium or similar: would make a vast improvement and last a lifetime IMHO.

Lucien

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to that.  You can tell where Nissan saved pennies on the R32 dash :cheers:

Out of interest, does anyone know of a place that makes or can supply aftermarket R32 air vents? I was thinking of seeing if I can get some replacements made out of aluminium or similar: would make a vast improvement and last a lifetime IMHO.

Lucien

you could get a metal fabricator do do it for you

but IMO it wouldnt be worth it

just get some brand new ones are they will last long enough

They still look and feel like they are worth $0.05c though. Any metal fabricators on here who care to hazard a guess on how much it would cost?

Another option I have been playing with is fabricating some fiberglass versions...

Lucien.

• 1 month later...

I did the dash of my lancer and it came out very good so good in fact that people commented on that they did not know that it was a factory option... when painting plastic parts you must give everything a really good clean with a scrub/toothbrush then use a very fine sand paper to just rough up surface so that Plastic Primer will stick but before priming use some Prepsol to wash it down to remove any grease -wax dirt etc.. then several light coats of colour (acrylic) you can go to to an automotive paint supply place and they can custom make colours for you in an areosol can then after the paint has set then several light coats of clear after it has dried (24hr) use a mild cut and polish and apply to surface this will help to remove any minor dust and give the clear a high polished finish my interior parts lasted 3 years with no scratches or chips make sure you paint when it is warm and no dampness is in the air and place can of spray paint into bucket of hot water this will ensure when you spray the paint it will be thin coats and will not splatter onto surface

any tips on getting all the consol off successfully without doing any damage??

wanna give this a try but dont wanna fk anything at the same time, never pulled the consol/dash out before

anyone with a 33 that has done it please post steps??

thanks

well I had a try at pulling my interior apart on saturday and was surprised at how easy it all was and have finally decided on the colour looking at the PPG type paint that changes colour looking at red/blue/purple.... doing the gear boot and E brake in a blue micro sauede which will be followed through the rest of the interior and the seats will be grey and blue...

just need to work out how to remove the trim around the power window switch from the main part of the door handles and also the trim just under that were the door pockets are

any tips here :rofl:

• 1 year later...

whats the best way to remove all that rubber sort of material on the standard dash? ive tried to sand it down using medium, but it doesnt seem to work?

is there any easier way to do is? or should i resort to hard/rough grade sand paper?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with you man...Who needs air vents??

post-11392-1162480667.jpg

post-11392-1162480755.jpg

To paint the interior panels I did a very half-assed sanding, cleaned with a quick wipe of metho then painted with a coat of touch-up paint primer, then with a sliver metallic touch up paint, then with a clear coat again, from the touch-up-paint section! Over a year now and still shining.

• 1 month later...

(Done on a 96 r33 series 2) CAMERA ISENT GREAT, so may be a bit blurry. but you get the idea of how it looks and how smooth it is

have done my dash and all interior. after trial and error, i found the only and best way to do this is:.. sand your plastic till all the paint is of and it feel smooth. (i used 240 to 400 grain sandpaper) then primer with gret plastic primer, (dont use clear primer!) i done about 3 coats, but to be real, just look at it and make sure the hole thing looks good, and the primer is all the same shade of grey all over the plastic. THEN..

paint, i help my bits in the air, so i could spin them with my hand to get it evan, and so there wasent light patches and everything was sprayed!.. again, i sprayed, held it for 1 min, then sprayed again, i kept going to it all was one color (shake can well to get it heated up, hotter the paint the thinner it is, so no spots or dark patches)

let it dry, then i sanded it with a 1200 grain sandpaper, very light motion with your hand, dont press hard, just hand weight on the paper, make sure you sand all of your bits, in sides, were the clock is, any little hard to get place, just rub your finger over each spot you have sanded and make sure its smooth, it should come out the same color you panited with but a little lighter, this is only to smooth out the paint.. now paint again till it looks good.. now that shoulds look smooth.. i sanded mine again, real light, then painted, the more you sand lightly, the smooth it will get... i painted, then sanded with 1200, thenm painted, then sanded, then painted . after this, do a cut and polish, i used a all in one, $8, rub it on, then rub off, then rub of with a clean cloth, now wet the part with water, and now clean with that clean cloth. make sure to get it real clean. now! that will make it shinnty ann super smooth. no one can do it beta..

i painted everything.. dash, side door, vents, window controls, door handle, the part above the speedo cluster, gota take everything out for that.. also painted the steering colum, looked crap without that painted. and painted key hole.. put my boost gauge in vent for the moment ..

i had a black sheet of plastic under the cd deck, just waiting to put some gagues or boost controller in there to make it look beta then the piece of crap tray i had there before, which looked out of place.. "

hope this helps any one. cause i fooled around a bit to get it perfect!..

(CHECK OUT WHAT THE ORIGINAL DASH LOOKED LIKE) i can never go back to that boring thing.. fells nicer to driver now and alot more modern from what people have been saying when they get in..

im still changing things to match. boot/handbrake / shift knob and seats.. wish i could use a silver momo wheel. but damn air bags!!

Edited by seriesII

how do you get that centre console out? i had a try on my car. undid the screw behind the ashtray, but i still couldn't get it out. felt like i was going to snap something if i pulled too hard.