SAU Community

Vehicle mods in ACT

timbar32

Well, been told by a mate that's a copper, that EVERYTHING I can do is illegal, from my pod, to future turbo upgrades, to my cars height. Apparently all aftermarket computers are illegal as well. As I said, it's not the cops I'm worried about, it's paying 2k a year for insurance that may be usless. Anyway, cheers, I'll check with Dickson registry and if I can score a full list, I'll let you guys know.

Insurance will insure you with an aftermarket ecu, however they are illegal now unless you get the car emission tested to see if the new ecu complies with emission standards. This comes at a pricey cost (of last time I asked) $4500 and is carried out by Ford.

You can order a set of the Australian Design Rules, as long as you keep to those you should be ok, just tell your insurance company everything you do, and if they dont like it, dont do it.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to mod your car and concern about illegal. Then you better get a engineer cert for all of your mods. The engineer will tell you what can do and what can't do. He will write a report to comply your mods with ADR. Better ask before mod. There is a very nice engineer can do the cert. in ACT, John Wilson. I did mine with him... very good bloke.

Cops mightn't know what's legal and what isn't,but ANYTHING changed from the factory is enough for you to get sent "over the pits"-and THAT'S what you should fear most!Be nice to the Police-98% of them are top blokes that are just doing their jobs-I know I've been let off numerous times for not being a smarta**e/admitting that I was doing wrong...

Seriously,you can get sent a defect for simple things like:non-standard fittment tyres,a tissue box on the rear parcel shelf(THAT ticks even me off...),an aftermarket stereo installation,a seat cover...and the list goes on!SO:see an engineer,don't try and slide anything past them OR the Constabulary if you get ''yanked'',and just be happy that we're all driving nicer cars than most...

I've seen some pretty full-on rides that have been 100% certified.My l'il beastie is already well engineered;when it's fully done,it'll be a MUCH harder hitter,AND it'll be legal!!