SAU Community

Team Wang Phillip Island Report and Pics 19/09/04

JAMESW

well here are my pics, these ones are just from my cheap digital camera and more better quality ones to come when i pick up my film tomorrow night.

Im sure the boys can and will fill you in on the lap times and stuff when they get back, so here are the pics.

James.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was a blast, unexpected BBQ's aside. After getting absolutely owned by the STi on its sticky rubber at the start of the super sprint I was circulating very nicely but developed a turbo flange leak, and now the gasket is stuffed after the drive home so up for a new one. My best I saw was a 2:00.55, on road rubber and dropped boost to 10psi, but maybe a better time in the sprint.

I'll allow Duncan to say what his next best time was...............the Honda is a great little machine though. Thanks for the pix.

Ok - I'm totally buggered and have heaps of work so this initial report is going to be a little less informative than usual.

Saturday - MSCA - Snowman, Scotsman, Duncan - Cloudy

After some inital difficulties getting Duncan to the starting grip we finally got ready to race. As per usual the MSCA events were filled with mostly older cars with no "driver assistance" technology - this meant that just about every session we had to wait for half an hour for some dick to be dragged out of the sand.

And the size of the fields on the track were extremely small - so that meant more groups to circulate through. There were 8 groups in total and by the time 2pm had come I had only had one run. By the later part of the day half of the older cars had broken down and we finally got some better track time - me and Duncan got 4 runs and Chris got 5.

The highlight for me was my times. I went into the day with a previous best time of 1.51.4s. In my first session I managed to beat that with a 1.50.8. Followed in my 3rd session with a 1.50.1. So I was pretty edgy as my objective at the start of the day was to get a 1.49. But in the final session I put it together to get 2 laps in the 1.49's - best being a 1.49.3.

Scotsman bettered his previous best from a 1.52.4 to a 1.52.02. So close to that 1.51! Duncan was having a lot of fun coming to grips with the awesome VTEC power of the S2000. Turn 4 was a favorite of his. I "think" at the end of the day he managed a 2.03 something - putting him second in his class. Not bad for a first effort at the Island in a stock car he doesnt know.

Sunday - HSV - Snowman, Scotsman, Duncan, Emre, Skylinegeoff, Crazy Frank. - Sunny.

The weather gods smiled on us and turned on a beautiful day. The HSV guys were kind enough to put us all in one group for the day so we got to play a little - although after the first session we tended to go out in order from fastest to slowest so we didnt hold each other up. For those that don't know Crazy Frank he has one nice car (White R33 GTR). He managed to beat his PB with an awesome time of 1.47.6s. Emre had some issues but smashed his previous PB from a 2.00 to a 1.55 on his first attempt (gotta love stickies).

There were a few issues during the day. Emre's power fc defaulted back to the original settings causing him to miss most of the day. Geoff had a minor turbo pipe / exaust fire situation. And there was a bit of off track circle work from Emre and Duncan.

The final session was a "Super Sprint" in which we had a standing start at the start finish line. Me and Emre were lined up next to each other and had some fun launching it off the line together. Kinda sucked a bit for me seeming as though I went the whole weekend without 2nd gear. LOL

But one of the best things for the day was the level of support from SAU members. Big thanks for the turnout from Beck, Al, Shivram, Dave (and Mrs), Rianto and James (appologies if I've missed anyone here)

Thats about it for now. Although I will just say - Duncan's 1.57 is HIGHLY disputed! LOL

It was a great day! perfect weather too... Great to watch the guys in action... the green HSV that hit the wall was a highlight for me... ouch! i was also surprised that Skylinegeoff's brake lights were still working lol... :D

LOL sounds like a great day!! shame someone was coming to look at the soarer on sunday otherwise i would have come :D

so what were the holdens times like? would have been more fun thrashing them than being in the samegroup wouldnt it? :P

Well, another great weekend is over and I'm back at work and so tired. :coffee:

Hope that all the others who ventured down to Phillip Island had as much fun as I did this weekend, it was great to see some other spectators/photographers down there.

Chris - Thanks for scaring the **** out of me on my flying laps around the track - just kidding it was awesome :D

Andrew - Congrats on your lap times (i know you got what you wanted out of this weekend)

Geoff - After a small but scary hiccup - still some great lap times - well done (PS.hope the cosmetic surgery all goes well)

Emre - Again great lap times - well done (i bet your glad you got those tyres)

Duncan - Nice to meet you, produced some grat lap times in a car you didnt know -pity about the brakes by days end - but hey it's not your worry any more.

Oh yeah and I'm real keen to see some of the 400+ photos that I took this weekend.

So thanks to all of the above who made it a great weekend, plus Shiv, Al, Adz, Dee and others.

Catch ya all soon. :headspin:

I had an absolute ball on Sunday. Can't say enough about how good it was. Wished I had my damn car by the end of the day..

Anyways had a quick look at the footage and theres a lot of editing to do so after I get it done, i'll get in touch with you guys and see who wants a copy.

So so so tired when I got home. I fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow last night!

Thanks to everyone who came - we rock.