SAU Community

Water Methanol Injection Installation - Pics

I've installed water methanol injection. I got the shits with our 95 ron fuel here, and wanted something worth tuning to. The Results were fantastic - able to put in up to 7 degrees advance on full load, and 2 psi more boost (GT30 at 18psi)

This kit is a detonation destroyer.

Car runs like a nut case now.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

I didn't want the kit on all the time so I hooked up a relay, and pinched a signal wire from the washer bottle motor power. The Washer bottle motor power comes on as soon as you turn the key.

As for the Washer bottle itself, I cut the larger half off (it's such and overkill anyway!) and had it plasti welded up for $70. That way, I could retain the wiring, mounts etc. It was suggested I buy a smaller washer bottle but I would have hd to wire it up, and find one with dual motors (for the rear windscreen too). It was much easier reducing the size of the original bottle. The Dude that welded it even welded in the original lid!

The jet - Since the cast is fairly thin, I opted to drill and tap a hole through one of the mounts where its a little thinker. It was a little too thick (the jet only has so much thread, plus it's tapered) so we had to grind the mount down a little. The jet MUST be flush with the inside of the pipe.

These systems work even better on 98ron fuel......... Can't wait.

I have a mate running one with av gas - Supra with over 500hp at the wheels.

Let me know what you all think..

Edited by The Mafia

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent job mate! Congratulations great system i always new they did the job, i have used one on a supecharger setup, huge difference power wise heaps more timing and boost, funny thing is do you actually need an intercooler because i didnt?? Also what ratio are you running 50/50?? You could also put some nitro in there to give it a little more kick ;)

funny thing is do you actually need an intercooler because i didnt?? Also what ratio are you running 50/50?? You could also put some nitro in there to give it a little more kick ;)

Definately need an intercooler. I'm in the process of installing a 225ml\m jet before the intercooler. THis will greatly inprove the intercoolers performance. The methanol will drop the intercooler temperature by a heap, improving its performance.

Yeap, 50% Water, 50% Methanol. When you say Nitro? What do you mean? Nitrous Oxide or somethin else that I can put in the water methanol mix? Always up for "secret" additives. Are there any downsides to it?

How much was it if you dont mind me asking?

The Stage II Kit can be had from Full Throttle Performance for $850. (http://www.full-throttle.com.au/Engine/Boost%20Cooler.htm) I know thats a fair amount, but put it this way. The Pumps they use are shureflow pumps - They are worth at least $300 on their own, and they are considered the best on the market. (my dad is a cane farmer, and he was even shoked to see the kit come with that particular branded pump, and straight away said they are very high quality pump.) The jets are also of excellent quality, they mist the water meth mix so well, it almost looks like steam. As for the variable controller - You'll never find an activation point like that. Gradually feeds the car water, not dumping it in giving the car flat spots. They also have controllers that read MAF voltage. The more air, the more water.

How does this system actually work.

what does it do?

This sytem injects water and methanol into the air intake. The Water stabilises the fuel burn preventing detonation) and the methanol drops your inlet tempteratures by about 15 degrees.

Other good side effects - It cleans everything. Open up a motor that has had water methanol injection and you'll find it'll be much cleaner then a normal motor.

Edited by The Mafia

Hey good work.

If your car is now tuned for water/meth then what happens when you run out?

heh...It pings its nuts off on boost.

So, its simple. You don't let it run out. The 2l mix lasts for about 1 tank of fuel. Soits easy to keep topped up.

There are 2 things to be careful with this setup hydrolic lockup, if not set up correctly water can seap into the cylinders and if you do run out of the methanol mix and your car is tuned to run it :D it will ping and blow the pistons to pieces. You have to make sure the tank is at the lowest point possible and that you have a non drip nozzle or water injector. Have attached a simple diagram below of a system easy to setup yourself guys and as mafia has noticed a good power gain from more timing advance and boost!

You can add nitro methol instead of methanol ;) gives a much better explosion when burnt you can get it from any speed shop im pretty sure thats what they run in the supercharged v8's.

post-26467-1153022859.gif

The Boost cooler has these options.

1. SolenoidValve to stop it syphoning on vaccum, or bleeding under weight when the car is off.

2. Reverse Check Valve. Stops boost blowing back to the pump.

I don't need to worry, as my tank and pump a mounted well below the nozzle.

Excellent job mate! Congratulations great system i always new they did the job, i have used one on a supecharger setup, huge difference power wise heaps more timing and boost, funny thing is do you actually need an intercooler because i didnt?? Also what ratio are you running 50/50?? You could also put some nitro in there to give it a little more kick ;)

It is still better to use an intercooler, howver - you do not need to go to a big front mount. We tested the same kit on our circuit car with no intercooler, and found that on the longer straights, temps were well controlled, but on tighter, on/off throttle situations, and on partial throttle where you are not using much/any boost, the water alone was not able to give a consistant inlet temp.

We have just installed a new intercooler - not huge, and already we have seen lower intake temps and higher HP figures on the dyno.

Mafia - the pic of the contol module shows you having both dials set at the same amount (approx 5psi)..... is this how you are running the system in the car? You should have the full PSI set at about 14psi in your application (assuming you are running 18psi)...this will then allow you to run a larger nozzle to add more water/meth at the top end.

Mark.

Mafia - the pic of the contol module shows you having both dials set at the same amount (approx 5psi)..... is this how you are running the system in the car? You should have the full PSI set at about 14psi in your application (assuming you are running 18psi)...this will then allow you to run a larger nozzle to add more water/meth at the top end.

Mark.

Nope, got the water on full at about 12psi - 14psi - Just remember that list dial is very sensitive. 5 - 15psi in that tiny little bit of adjustment.

Hi why are you running 18psi with the stock bov they start leaking at 10.

allso how much is the methanol per 2L

I just bought a drum of methanol - 20l for $40

DO NOT RUN NITRO.. if its the stuff that im thinking off.. a few people i know as a joke decided to run some in there lawn mower.. f**k it went hell hard.. didnt start again after that tho :banana: even tho using the nitro in this case wouldnt use stuff all compared to the lawn mower.. it will still f**k your engine eventualy just keep it simple and run it as watermethanol.. wat it was designed for.

Mafia,

hey good to see someone else enjoying the benifits of water & methanol injection.

It would have to be one of the most overlooked, engine safety devices, & cheap horse power available, and dates back to the 1st world war or before, still around & it works.

I got a coolingmist kit from the US. no flash controllers, just boost operated microswitch, 3.9 US Gallons per Hour Nozzle (360-500HP rated), 150PSI Pump, one way check valve. easilly upgradeable to a dual stage as HP increases. http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=02P

i purchased it for the same reason as yourself, except we only have 91 octane here..................nothing else!! (unless i run Avgas all the time $$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

currently running 1.2bar (17.4PSI) with the water/meths cutting in at 0.95bar (13.8PSI)

fantastic stuff................................

can feel the difference, even when running Avgas with the water/meths

versatile, when u run out of Methanol, just run water, still cools the intake charge & minimizes pinging.

i use 60/40 or 30/70 water & Metholated spirits, metho is 95/96 pure Ethanol & i can't buy Methanol in PNG anyway. but even if i cant get metho, i can use Isoprply Alchohol, Xylene, pure Ethanol, toluene............

Question,

have you had any problem with Ignition Breakdown at low boost?

what plug gap are you running?

Any plans to have dyno tuned?

i would love to see a run up on no water/Meths (keeping an eye on knock of course) & then a run with!!

that's be awesome, please post it if you do.

i only have a innovative motorsports A/F meter & at the moment so can only log A/F, RPM & TPS nothing like a dyno unfortunately, but at least allows me to see what my engine is doing as i add mods.

here's pic of a log file at 1.1bar, WOT run 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th with the water/meths inj turned on.

you can see distintly where the water/meths kicks in. i have quite big laggy turbo's that don't start to spool up till around 0.7bar, (then all hell breaks loose :D ) so you can see at around 75% of the max revs in each gear where the A/F dropps (richens) is where it is kicking in & doing what i't supposed to.

post-29939-1153115166.jpg

unfortunately i can't monitor Knock at the moment, (but have an Apexi Power FC to put in soon), & i'm running the Std RB26DETT timing. so real keen to get the FC in so i can monitor knock & play with the advance.

Mafia, would love to hear of any further tests or results with regards to water/meths injection.

Nice. I used similiar systems but alot bigger on inlet cooling of gas turbines a few years ago.

Just make sure the nozzle doesent start dripping droplets of water into the intake, especially since the pump will be going on/off all the time.

Mafia,

hey good to see someone else enjoying the benifits of water & methanol injection.

It would have to be one of the most overlooked, engine safety devices, & cheap horse power available, and dates back to the 1st world war or before, still around & it works.

I got a coolingmist kit from the US. no flash controllers, just boost operated microswitch, 3.9 US Gallons per Hour Nozzle (360-500HP rated), 150PSI Pump, one way check valve. easilly upgradeable to a dual stage as HP increases. http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=02P

i purchased it for the same reason as yourself, except we only have 91 octane here..................nothing else!! (unless i run Avgas all the time $$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

currently running 1.2bar (17.4PSI) with the water/meths cutting in at 0.95bar (13.8PSI)

fantastic stuff................................

can feel the difference, even when running Avgas with the water/meths

versatile, when u run out of Methanol, just run water, still cools the intake charge & minimizes pinging.

i use 60/40 or 30/70 water & Metholated spirits, metho is 95/96 pure Ethanol & i can't buy Methanol in PNG anyway. but even if i cant get metho, i can use Isoprply Alchohol, Xylene, pure Ethanol, toluene............

Question,

have you had any problem with Ignition Breakdown at low boost?

what plug gap are you running?

Any plans to have dyno tuned?

i would love to see a run up on no water/Meths (keeping an eye on knock of course) & then a run with!!

that's be awesome, please post it if you do.

i only have a innovative motorsports A/F meter & at the moment so can only log A/F, RPM & TPS nothing like a dyno unfortunately, but at least allows me to see what my engine is doing as i add mods.

here's pic of a log file at 1.1bar, WOT run 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th with the water/meths inj turned on.

you can see distintly where the water/meths kicks in. i have quite big laggy turbo's that don't start to spool up till around 0.7bar, (then all hell breaks loose :wave: ) so you can see at around 75% of the max revs in each gear where the A/F dropps (richens) is where it is kicking in & doing what i't supposed to.

post-29939-1153115166.jpg

unfortunately i can't monitor Knock at the moment, (but have an Apexi Power FC to put in soon), & i'm running the Std RB26DETT timing. so real keen to get the FC in so i can monitor knock & play with the advance.

Mafia, would love to hear of any further tests or results with regards to water/meths injection.

Hi Png Godzilla,

I too have purchased a cooling mist system - mine being the one with computer controlled cooling mist controller, clog nozzle detector, bronze check valve etc. The cooling mist controller is pretty cool as you can adjust your maps via laptop if you want.

I'll be fitting it around december time and I was just wondering if you've installed your nozzle before the intercooler or after like Mafia?

Cheers

hey gtst25,

so you've got a cooling mist kit also!!

i got the clog nozzle detector, bronze check valve ect, just not the controller. Clog nozle detecor works well, light stayed on once & that's what it was.....................clogged nozzle!

Mounting..............they said to me as far back from the intake plenum as possible, but on the out side of the intercooler, so i've got mine on the first bend on the out side of the FMIC. i got the M3 injector, which was too big & caused ignition breakdown until i put my new garrets on, more huff, now it works fine :wave:

nozzle behing front drivers side spoiler grill

post-29939-1153121502.jpg

digital intake temp gauge & LED for when Water/Meths is activated under right corner of Gready boost controller

post-29939-1153121525.jpg

Digital Tem Gauge probe, boost controlled microswitch & header tank

post-29939-1153121553.jpg

in hindsight, after reading Mafia's post, i will take the nozzle out & turn it 180deg, (or maybe just swap the IC pipe over so the feed is facing down, also relocate the clog detector to somewhere below the nozzle. less likely to siphon that way.

don't want to hijack mafia's thread, but would love to hear more about the variable controller, i opted out as i wanted something simple. but sounds like it might be the go.

what nozzle did you get??

no info anywhere on Water/meths inj on skylines that i've found, hopefully we can all share experiences :(

I've installed water methanol injection. I got the shits with our 95 ron fuel here, and wanted something worth tuning to. The Results were fantastic - able to put in up to 7 degrees advance on full load, and 2 psi more boost (GT30 at 18psi)

7 degree's is roughly what I experienced between 91ron and 98. :wave: