SAU Community

Water Methanol Injection Installation - Pics

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

png godzilla........ the boost cooler variable controller allows you to run a larger nozzle (I assume Cooling mist is similar), without ignition breakdown at low revs/boost. The symptons you described earlier sound like too much water too early in the rev/boost curve. This is the difficulty with on/off style systems. The variable controller limits the amount of water being injected at lower boosts, which stops this problem, and then increases the amount of water as boost increase.

Boost Cooler also have a MAF system which can be plugged in to most 0-5v airflow meters. This is even better than running off boost pressure as it is actually using the amount of air passing through the engine and adding the correct amount of water accordingly.

Another advantage of Boost Cooler is the nozzle design, we are yet to have a reprt of a blocked Nozzle. They are a dual chamber nozzle which gives incredible atomisation.

We are running an extra 8 degrees of timing in my race car......would never look back now.

Mark.

Water injection is a long-proven knock inhibitor. The old school tuners used it years ago, before cheap effective intercoolers were available as they are now.

My Dad ran a pretty potent combination in the 80s with water injection, worked like a charm. The comments about minimal carbon build-up is accurate too.

Mafia's setup with alcohol mix should provide extra benefits, and I like the safety factors built in with anti-syphon and anti-blow back. I would like to see the kit come with a simple warning light for low water level, but if it's a simple one for one consumption ratio, just pull the bonnet each time you fuel up, and top up. Easy.

Keep us up to speed with any dyno runs Mafia.

well, WE have a test and tune on this friday if the weather permits. I'm trying franticly to get a set of Semi slicks to borrow. Hopefully I'll manage so easy 12's if I find some.

I did 13.9 at 108mph (no traction AT ALL) without the water meth, and I think I've picked up about 30rwkw with the water meth all over the rev range above 3000rpm, so hopefully I'll make some 110mph passes? And the semi's will get me into the 12's?

All hopes here!

Does anyone know if 15 inch rims fit on the back of Skylines?

Gidday PNG Godzilla,

Not too sure which injector I got as I'm travelling overseas atm. That's why I haven't fitted it. Will definately be doing a write-up when I tune again with water/meth - atm it's running 254rwkw and pretty rich. What I really want is that cold night feeling you just don't get in the Queensland summer.

Injector size isn't supposed to be a problem with the cooling mist controller (I hope!)

Good to see a few people using Water meth - I noticed a few guys were getting good results on ns.com a few months ago when I purchased the kit from US.

What size tank have you got and how long does it last? I also see you've set it to start pretty late (13psi) - have you tried it earlier?

Cheers

hey gtst25,

so you've got a cooling mist kit also!!

i got the clog nozzle detector, bronze check valve ect, just not the controller. Clog nozle detecor works well, light stayed on once & that's what it was.....................clogged nozzle!

Mounting..............they said to me as far back from the intake plenum as possible, but on the out side of the intercooler, so i've got mine on the first bend on the out side of the FMIC. i got the M3 injector, which was too big & caused ignition breakdown until i put my new garrets on, more huff, now it works fine ;)

nozzle behing front drivers side spoiler grill

post-29939-1153121502.jpg

digital intake temp gauge & LED for when Water/Meths is activated under right corner of Gready boost controller

post-29939-1153121525.jpg

Digital Tem Gauge probe, boost controlled microswitch & header tank

post-29939-1153121553.jpg

in hindsight, after reading Mafia's post, i will take the nozzle out & turn it 180deg, (or maybe just swap the IC pipe over so the feed is facing down, also relocate the clog detector to somewhere below the nozzle. less likely to siphon that way.

don't want to hijack mafia's thread, but would love to hear more about the variable controller, i opted out as i wanted something simple. but sounds like it might be the go.

what nozzle did you get??

no info anywhere on Water/meths inj on skylines that i've found, hopefully we can all share experiences ;)

• 1 year later...

Hey Mafia,

I know its an old thread, but was wondering if you could possibly update us with maybe things your learnt since running the kit? Things you would change, do differently?

Thanks !

Tings I learnt? A lot :D

These kits are worth their weight in gold when it comes to power.

Managed 314rwkw on the stock Exhaust manifold and 0.63 rear housing (GT3037). Couldn't get anymore power, even with bigger water meth jetting due to the absolute extreme limit of the standard exhaust manifold and the little 0.63 rear housing.

Interested to see if the 0.82 rear allows me to run much higher figures.

I can safely run 12.8:1 AFR's at 20psi of boost too. Standard ENgine so I'm being careful.

Really upgrade? to what?

Iv got an opportunity to purchase a Rice Racing pneumatic setup (no electronic pump) They're 100% reliable with no chance of pump failure (duh)

12.8 @ 20psi with the stock m.fold and .63 housing is great

a while ago he was talking about upgrading his system to one that controlls the water by a map sensor or something.

Really upgrade? to what?

Iv got an opportunity to purchase a Rice Racing pneumatic setup (no electronic pump) They're 100% reliable with no chance of pump failure (duh)

12.8 @ 20psi with the stock m.fold and .63 housing is great

yeah I was considering it but at the moment I'm not working full time and need to save my money.

I'm happy with this kit anyway, it hasn't failed and seems to do the job fine for me, it manages all that power without stressing the internals too much. The Map sensor one also had a solenoid just behind the water nozzle which pulsed like a fuel injector. Very nice water delivery.

I can still remember the day I installed it - gained nothing until I increased the timing advance by 12 degrees. What a kick in the pants.. Massive improvement.

how does this kit your using now triggers?

Where have you got the nozzle installed?

Would triggering a high pressure pump with a good nozzle with a hobbs pressure switch work any good?

I used to run water injection years and years ago but it was a low pressure system. I want to use a high pressure one now.

at the moment it uses a Map sensor device. Its part of the kit. You plug a boost line into the map sensor and set your start and finish psi.

Then it ramps the pump pressure up with the boost, for example, my Start PSI is 4psi, and my finish PSI is 22psi.

So at 4psi, the pump is at 1% pressure, and at 22psi the pump is at 100% pressure. It scales up the flow.

The problem with on\off switches is the car stutters when the water cuts in, and your putting the same amount of water in at all RPMs and boost levels. This can make the car a bit boggy when it does start spraying.

Trust me, buy a decent kit, its well worth the $$.

I use a Snow Performance Boost Cooler kit. Worth every cent.

• 1 month later...

how labour intensive is it to install/tune these kits? eg how much would you expect a workshop to charge for installing something like this

http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx...=controllerkit2

or

http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=8

or

http://www.full-throttle.com.au/Engine/stage1.htm

http://www.full-throttle.com.au/Engine/stage2.htm

getting a 3076r installed on my internally standard rb25 at the moment and curious about this setup

• 1 month later...

here are the pics again, for some reason I can edit my original post.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

oh, and no, it isn't labour intensive, if yopu plan what you are going to do the night before, should only take about 2 hours, and f**k all work.

Edited by The Mafia