SAU Community

Had a run with a GTIR!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a 2.2 prelude, with 147fwkw?

this is the H22A (or something) engine right?

you sure that's not HP?

Please list the mods that pushed this engine to 147fwkw....

I'm very curious now as I have "SOME" understanding and knowledge with Honda engines and not seen many streetable NA honda's with that sort of power.

also, what is the factory quoted power at the engine on that prelude in standard form?

I've got 2 mates with GTi-Rs....one modded one stock, I'd say the stock one would have more trouble keeping away from a stock GTS...the modded one would give a stock GTS a caning.

Both cars I end up feeling edgy in because of the speeds you can hit corners in compared to my R34...I'd literally be hard sideways and still not be able to keep up with either.

The power delivery is a bit more urgent in the GTi-R I think this defiantely makes them feel quicker to drive than a Skyline as well.

Seriously though I've seen Lantras that'd cane both cars...it just comes down ultimately to mods and drivers.

And for some strange reason both GTi-R's I've been in remind me of a tractors...just the way the engine sounds??????

you sure that's not HP?

I'm very curious now as I have "SOME" understanding and knowledge with Honda engines and not seen many streetable NA honda's with that sort of power.

also, what is the factory quoted power at the engine on that prelude in standard form?

no way that he pushed that much out of a naturally aspirated H22A without doing internal modifications.

to answer your question though, the prelude made about 190hp(141kw) measured at the flywheel in the 4th generation. in the 5th generation, it received a output boost up to 200hp(149kw) and also gained a bit of weight as well. which caused it to actually be slower than the 4th gen.

The Honda VTEC thing is completely overrated...you'd be surprised at how slow a naturally aspirated Prelude is and how quickly it runs out of steam. well, driving it, you would think it's fast...but racing against another car might broaden your horizons.

i'm not saying that the guy who stated he had a prelude had achieved 147fwkw output is lying...i'm just stating that to achieve that, one would have to do internal work on the H22A.

i know my honda's simply because they're the #1 candidates to be turned into rice mobiles here in north america. not a day passes when i do not see at least 10 or 20modified civics on the streets. and 80% of them don't even have more than 130hp measured at the flywheel..but they sure do make a lot of noise with the fart canisters...LMAO

GTI-R will always be quicker on a traffic light derby no matter how much power the skyline makes, how would you plan to get traction in anything rearwheel drive with over 200 rwkw.

My idea of a trafficlight derby is say, to the end of third gear. The only cars that would compete would be impreza, lancer or gtr.....

My previous car was a Pulsar GTi-R, fmic, exhaust, 1 bar and i was never beaten by an r33 gtst standing or rolling start. I once raced a slightly modified JZA80 TT Supra and was slightly quicker, rolling start.

Needless to say, i upgraded to the real deal.

My old R33 gtst had a terminal speed of 106mph for it's low 13 pass. The GTiR's terminal speeds are lower but, due to the fantastic take off they cut low times. i have beaten one in an R33 gtst over the 1/4 but it took me out off line before I caught it and only just beat it by the end of the 1/4.

In a rolling start you might head one off. On a standing start if you beat it then either the GTiR is rooted or the driver was missing some skill.

In general a healthy GTiR with a little tweaking is more than a match for a mild gtst as a rule of thumb. There are always going to be 'clapped out' versions of cars getting around but, with a healthy example of both the odds are in favour of the GTiR every time.

GTI-R will always be quicker on a traffic light derby no matter how much power the skyline makes, how would you plan to get traction in anything rearwheel drive with over 200 rwkw.

My idea of a trafficlight derby is say, to the end of third gear. The only cars that would compete would be impreza, lancer or gtr.....

My previous car was a Pulsar GTi-R, fmic, exhaust, 1 bar and i was never beaten by an r33 gtst standing or rolling start. I once raced a slightly modified JZA80 TT Supra and was slightly quicker, rolling start.

Needless to say, i upgraded to the real deal.

you sure that's not HP?

Yeap, running a JDM H22A from a Gen4 Prelude... rated at 200ps stock @ flywheel.

So as to not pollute this thread too much with non GTiR-Skyline stuff, a link from not long after I sold it with other people who know about Hondas and tuning them etc (in it contains a link to EVEN MORE people with Hondas and tuning them). I have been told there is no way my current car makes as much power as it does with the mods it has by non-Nissan owners, I guess its just what you know aye?

"Quick" Preludes?

"Quick" Preludes 2

In the end they are two different cars entirely. The SR is rough, urgent and angry. The RB25 is tactful, refined (dull in stock form?) but urgent and torquey.

The build quality in both cars is great - the GTiR was a homologation car (as stated previously) and has cool things like the cool drink holder and the cool seat belt holders. On the other hand the liner will have a bigger frame and more weight so it's really a bigger car and importantly 2wd.

They're really 2 different things. I've driven both (not mine) and I'd take the pocket rocket over a 33. But I don't particularly like 33's so that's just my opinion.

I don't know about who racing what we've all seen crazy assed cars but when I'm driving my mate's GTiR that's totally stock (except beast suspension put in it) there's nothing yet pulled up that can't be beaten - closest thing so far (funnily enough) was a falcon of some sort xr6 most probably.

Also in the hands of a capable driver rated 45km corners become takable at 150km - such is the power of the 4wd and (lack of) weight. Crazy little things they are.

I test drove a standard GTIR one day from a car yard and was very disappointed with it. There was a complete lack of power in it, but it could be due to the fact that it was a dodgy car dealer that has been known to sell stuffed cars. Having said that I have seen some very quick ones around once they have been modded, but have also left quite a few for dead in both my Skyline and my old Integra, mainly once moving though. Took one from a standing start in the skyline and once into second started pulling away easy. CAr does have mods though and according to my (I think inaccurate) dyno reading 238.5rwkw.

The reason i did not get a gtir pulsar was because of the weakness of parts, and lack of them. Also if your clutch goes, which it will if you do these 6000rpm launches that was suggested a few posts back than you have to almost take out the engine and gearbox, and thats no JOKE. Also i found the gtir pulsars to be to small, a R33 is just a nice package, you can cruise to the coast and take your mates, were as you couldnt even fit a primary schooler in the back of a pulsar. In the end its up to you. Remeber there is more potenital in skyline in my opinion, There are down sides to both of the cars in question, but for best value for money you cant go past an r33 gtst. Remember you cant drift in a Gtir pulsar.

P.S And all i ahve heard is how theres no way a r33 could beat a Gtir pulsar, well im sorry to hurt your feeling s but it did, as simple as that. NO buts about it!

Keep deluding yourself buddy. A stock 33 GTst will not beat a stock GTiR in a standing start if both cars are driven by people who know what they are doing. The skyline is 15 odd kw less powerfull and aproximately 300kg heavier and it is just that simple. The fact that you won that "race" is insignificant to the overall picture. I am not saying that you didn't win, I am just saying that your stock car (if it actually is truly stock) will not win against a stock GTiR driven properly. More likely, the driver was thinking about his gearbox and licence at the time. On that matter, the GTiR gearbox is an awesome strong box but like any box it can be broken if you really pump some power through it or drive it without respect. I am currently putting out twice the stock power at the wheels in mine and it is handling it. You have to be careful in your choice of clutch and use a bit of slip when launching. I have been through 3 gearboxes in my car over the years but considering the car is 12 years old and powerful, I think it is doing pretty well. Compared to the GTR's gearbox, the GTiR box would have to be at the very least, equal in strength. A GTR is not even truly 4wd at launch and they still manage to regularly destroy boxes. Yes you have to be pumping more power through it but there would not be many GTR's or GTiR's out there unmodded. A mate ran a 12.8 at 109mph last week at AIR and the ONLY mod's he has is a 3in exhaust and 16psi. DO THAT IN YOUR 33 GTsT!

Mate you really need to get your facts right, theres no way in hell a gtir gearbox is as strong as a GTR gearbox. Also the R33 gtst doesnt make 15kw less, it makes 15kw more and as for 300kg heavier i dont think so maybe 190kg. Also i never said that my car was stock, Coz its not i have done a few mods, anyways the big picture which i assume you havent got, is that i beat one weather or not it was stock or the driver was handicaped I STILL BEAT IT. And as for maybe he wanted to keep his lisence, what a crock of poo. Dont get me wrong, they are great cars, i never said they wernt, and im sure a nicely modded one would eat me for breakfast.

This is of little consequence but one thing you people are forgetting is drivetrain losses. The 33 might have only 15kw more at the flywheel stock, but I guarantee there is likely to be a hell of a lot more difference at the wheels where it matters, due to loss of power through the 4WD. Isn't it getting pretty close to 40% loss with most 4WD's?

They have a LAUNCH! Thats all they have thats that incredibly special, though I guess in NZ we have heaps more nasty Japanese import cars running around on our roads. GTi-Rs are no more special (in most cases, less...) than a WRX, or EVO. They have a huge launch and accelerate fairly well once they get going - seeing as the 60ft time is almost a defining factor of a drag race... that launch means HEAPS. The SR20DET is quite good for making a lot of power, but the power tranmission fuse that is the gearbox isn't so keen on it.

I know plenty of people that have owned them, and sold them on for EVOs etc.

Thats what i mean, i understand that they are quick, but the simple fact is that i beat one. The guy probably didnt know how to launch properly, but i still beat him at rolling starts from 60kms onward every time. The main reason i didnt get one was because of the problems i heard about the gerabox, clutch etc, and becasue they are not practical in my case.