SAU Community

Changes to 15 year rule is out public told officially next month,

DRIFTT

it was a nice spam though across nearly every section - I liked it ;)

Nothing over 15 years is a bit of a big blow though if this is the case. Means many of the "classics" are just dead in the water and we'll never see them on the roads over here in Australia :rofl::rant::D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly a lot has to be clarified how it will work and we will know more closer to Christmas and we will put it out as soon as posible.

Will series 6 Rx7's be eligible for import in a couple of years time

As far as we know NO they wont be allowed as they came out full volume.

RAWS workshops will be happy as a potentially greater market share for them. Sad day for the true enthusiasts.

The true SEVS scheme was never for a car yard to be a RAW or have a yard full of imports, I personaly know 3 RAWS that will still do the eligable cars for the public.

Nothing over 15 years is a bit of a big blow though if this is the case. Means many of the "classics" are just dead in the water and we'll never see them on the roads over here in Australia

We think pre JAN 1989 vehicles will be open to anybody as most of the good cars in Japan have been taken and the prices that people will be fighting to pay for them will drive the price beyond making it viable for the dealers.

Bring in the GTR's while you can

You will still be able to bring them in and remember 1990 had a lot more GTR's produced so you will have more choice.

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/sevs/sevsindex.htm will show you the eligable vehicles.

I was called today about a NSX but they were full volume here, but we think HONDA Australia released them at a later date than Japan so you can submit to have it put on the list under the same ruling how the S15 is eligable for the first month of production.

Cefiro's and Laurel's may be eligabe under SEVS now for the 15 year ruling but until it is in stone we will wait and see.

The true SEVS scheme was never for a car yard to be a RAW or have a yard full of imports, I personaly know 3 RAWS that will still do the eligable cars for the public.

You've missed the point. Based on what you wrote, this will be the situation for Jan 89 and later vehicles:

- no more personal imports (other than possibly 12month+ cars owned OS)

- supply will be limited

- all cars must now be imported and complied by RAWS. Everyone will have to go to RAWS...RAWS=SEVS, SEVS=RAWS.

Whether you like to admit it or not, RAWS are NOT the enthusiasts, they are in it to make money and having spent a lot to gain RAWS licence (ISO 9000, etc).....well, it's pretty simple supply and demand economics, I don't need to spell it out.

You've missed the point.  Based on what you wrote, this will be the situation for Jan 89 and later vehicles:

- supply will be limited

- all cars must now be imported and complied by RAWS.  Everyone will have to go to RAWS...RAWS=SEVS, SEVS=RAWS.

Whether you like to admit it or not, RAWS are NOT the enthusiasts, they are in it to make money and having spent a lot to gain RAWS licence (ISO 9000, etc).....well, it's pretty simple supply and demand economics, I don't need to spell it out.

Personal imports were always 12 months or more, do you mean bringing in your own car of choice, well curretly you can do it for SEVS vehicles so why shouldnt you be able to do it next year.

The whole idea is to limit the amount of cars coming in not how they come in.

A RAW makes a bit more off the public compared to the dealer who screws it down to the bone compaired to the Public buyier who will pay what it costs because he wants that car.

Do you think these dealers bring in GTR's because they love that car well I dont think so, people who love them bring their own one in.

A lot of dealers will be left out in the cold when this rule comes out because the RAWS will go stuff you I can do that earn more for compliance and sell it for a better price.

Personal imports were always 12 months or more, do you mean bringing in your own car of choice, well curretly you can do it for SEVS vehicles so why shouldnt you be able to do it next year.

Mate you need to be a LOT clearer in what you write. The above contradicts what you said in your first post:

Only a RAWS workshop will be allowed to import a maximum of 100 eligible vehicles.

'Only a RAWS workshop will be allowed to import......'

I think we all better wait for the official announcement, too many ambiguities here.

'Only a RAWS workshop will be allowed to import......'

I think we all better wait for the official announcement, too many ambiguities here.

Sorry about being vague, only the RAW can submit the import approval for 15 year cars as they do now for SEVS cars and will be limited to 100.

That is the way they will limit numbers.

Ah that makes sense.

RAWS get to charge a bit on top but it possibly may actually streamline getting import approval. At the moment RAWS get import approvals in 8 days and private importers wait 20 + days.

Then again RAWS will now be limited to 100 cars per year so there income is going to be restricted by the new rules. Therefore they are probably going to have to charge a bunch more money to stay afloat.

Yes but you can use the RAWS to help you bring in that car and no need to pay a broker, you will get what you can out of the workshop, they need to charge a fair price or nobody will bring the cars in.

Volume is the key, why have 100 plates and only sell 40, people will pay a fair price not a giant butt tax so you will have to price accordingly.

The whole idea is to limit the amount of cars coming in not how they come in.

A RAW makes a bit more off the public compared to the dealer who screws it down to the bone compaired to the Public buyier who will pay what it costs because he wants that car.

Do you think these dealers bring in GTR's because they love that car well I dont think so, people who love them bring their own one in.

A lot of dealers will be left out in the cold when this rule comes out because the RAWS will go stuff you I can do that earn more for compliance and sell it for a better price.

IMO...once this is in place, RAWS will also be the car dealer...and theres no guarantee of "better price". There will always be the excuse of high compliance costs, high demand pushing cost up the roof, etc...etc... :spcartman

IMO...once this is in place, RAWS will also be the car dealer...and theres no guarantee of "better price". There will always be the excuse of high compliance costs, high demand pushing cost up the roof, etc...etc... :spcartman

Well if a RAW says it cost more to comply next year tell him he is full of (you know what) and walk out.

You've missed the point.  Based on what you wrote, this will be the situation for Jan 89 and later vehicles:

- supply will be limited

- all cars must now be imported and complied by RAWS.  Everyone will have to go to RAWS...RAWS=SEVS, SEVS=RAWS.

Geoff is a TOP BLOKE!!

True, although the quality of the vehicles imported will be controlled, no more major damage or sub-standard vehicles will be able to be imported. The vehicles that leave a RAWwill be of a higher standard .As the demand in Jay for popular models ie: 32,s Zed,s S-13,s decreases so will the prices. You may indeed find that you will be able to walk into a Dealer inspect, test drive and pick yourself up a quality vehicle as oposed to sending money to Jay, paying a broker and playing Russian roulette with the describtion of your vehicle.

Worth considering

If anybody thinks its in a dealers "best interest" to sell quality cars above everything else, its not... it's to make money - which involves getting the cheapest car possible and putting the largest mark-up that the market will bare on the vehicle.

Sure, it may mean they are not able to bring in completely shifty / dangerous cars and sell them off like they did pre SEVS, but that doesn't mean necessarily people are going to get quality cars at great prices and its all nirvana! Prices will simply go higher, putting these cars out of the reach of a number of the population, which over the last 5 years has made them so popular.

Prices have gone up a significant amount in the last 12-18 months, and with less options, less supply, this is only going to shoot up even further.. this is a sureity in my eyes. How could it work itself out any other way?

You may indeed find that you will be able to walk into a Dealer inspect, test drive and pick yourself up a quality vehicle as oposed to sending money to Jay, paying a broker and playing Russian roulette with the describtion of your vehicle.

Well I'd rather take the gun thanks.. and have those extra thousands there to glue my head back together if something did go wrong. I would rather still import a car privately, take some risk, and know the ball is in my court (for the most part), rather than trust some dealer trying to make as large a profit as possible. That $3-10k that a dealer charges over privately I would rather have in *my* pocket, using *my* knowledge of this industry to be able to get good deals on new engines, spray jobs, and other things that goes along with owning a second hand car... not some dealer lining his own pocket and many of his buddies.

I laugh when I see some of the stickered prices in import dealerships for the quality of the cars sometimes - and this is only going to get worse now, if things pan out a few here are suggesting, into making imported cars a "dealers" game.

It's like anything.. if you are willing to take the risk, why should us, the public be given restricted options? That is what this issue is about, restricting *our* rights as a buyer to do whatever the hell we like. We can go take a chance and import privately, go buy from a dealer, go buy from somebody else locally, or go buy a damn commonwhore, but we should at least be given the OPTION. Instead our wonderful ****ing government decides they wish to restrict our options for whoever ELSES best interest - it stinks!

If anybody thinks its in a dealers "best interest" to sell quality cars above everything else, its not... it's to make money - which involves getting the cheapest car possible and putting the largest mark-up that the market will bare on the vehicle.

NOT all RAWS are Dealers!!!

What it to prevent anybody from importing there own vehicle, as they do today either through a broker or by what ever means, and having a RAW comply it on there behalf?????

The amendments to the ACT are about a "Quality endorsed company" being accountable for the importation , inspection and compliance of a vehicle to current Aust ADR,s .

I doubt that when these changes were invisaged that DOTARS were concerned about how much mark-up a dealer may put on his stock!!!

Its about safety and accountability.

rather than trust some dealer trying to make as large a profit as possible. That $3-10k that a dealer charges over privately I would rather have in *my* pocket, using *my* knowledge of this industry to be able to get good deals on new engines, spray jobs, and other things that goes along with owning a second hand car... not some dealer lining his own pocket and many of his buddies.

I would love to see a dealer who can get $10,000 on a 15 year old car or even a SEVS one you would be lucky to make that much on a good R34 GTR.

Let them charge what they want, it dosent mean you have to pay it.

I knew this had to happen: my 1989 GT-R is actually being fitted with a compliance plate as part of a pilot program, so I guessed this was coming.

Shame because I would love to get my hands on some of the cars that will now not be able to be brought in, and I think it puts far too much power in the hands of RAWS to extort customers unless there is a sudden explosion of RAWS approved workshops that will increase the number of plates available.

LW.