SAU Community

Wohoo my car didn't blow up!

someonestolecc

too_much what would you recommend for my car?

if I decide on the BB any chance I can drive your BB equipped car to make sure it ain't hell rough?

A lot of people say BB is np others say it's pointless. I'd rather get a tougher clutch to put up with some abuse but on the other hand my knees are fragile enough.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree! BB clutches arent that bad at all!  I learnt to drive a manual with a BB clutch.

If you don't mind chirping the wheels every time you take off :P

Seriously, if you think about the design of BB clutches you can see why they are just not a good idea for the street. Sure some are better than others -- apparently the centre spring can have some impact on the ability to slip them -- but at the end of the day they were not designed for slipping so the more you slip the more you wear them out at an excessive rate.

IMHO you are better spending your money on something else, especially since you are hardly pushing out massive HP.

LW.

If you don't mind chirping the wheels every time you take off :P

Thats an old wives tale. Neither of my cars chirp when taking off.

Also, my last BB clutch in my sil80 lasted 2.5 owners having the hell thrashed out of it (MYS013 was one of those owners). It got something like 40-60,000km

After owning a bunch of cars with BB clutches, i'd recommend them, especially if you are going to drift. Organic clutches don't take too kindly to snapping the clutch in third to kick the car out leading up to a corner.

I don't mind you taking either car for a spin if you don't mind the long drive to my place

No worries Anthony - thanks.

Can you hook me up with the BB clutch you got as well should I need one? I just don't wanna get some other sort of BB clutch and plate doo-whacky only to find out it's totally different than yours.

I heard the organics do well up to 200rwkw.. I'm looking for over 200rwkw and can't afford a twin :P

And if my guy says I need a new clutch I'll drive out to ya - so long as I don't get rioted or rolled *packs glock into the glovebox* heh

yeah, there's nothing wrong wid BB clutches... i'm running one in the GTR now (now that i'm keeping it)... never chirps on take off unless i want it to. years ago they'd be very harsh and always chirp but they're much much better now. the first few drives on mine while i was bedding it in where very bouncy and touchy but after that it's sweet :P can be a lil boucy in first but that's kool... just use 2nd to take off :)

CC: if you want you can take my car for a spin some time, being reasonably close to my work.

My clutch is a very heavy solid centre (unsprung) 5 puck brass button, and I have no problem with it on the street. I can do hill starts on slippery roads in the rain and it hasn't been a problem at all.

Now that I have the n/a engine though I might put something a bit softer in as the current one is overkill. I need an excuse to pull it out cos the thrust bearing is mega noisy and needs replacement :P

Hey thanks DumHed what a legend.

Can you please PM me your phone number? I'll give ya a buzz over the weekend or whenever you are free.

If you do end up takign the clutch out, it's in good nick and reckon it'll go well in my car I'd be interested.. Since buying a clutch that you've tried is a bonus :P

Cheers!

CC my cefiro had a 5 puck unsprung bb aswell if you remember what it was like to drive. It did take me a while to get used to. but from what i remember you drove it with no porbs.

i still have that amp and button for u :)

Hey Mr Danger,

I had NO idea it was BB - I expected those things to be savage, yours was like driving my mates organic, just a little bit more bite if I recall but yeah I thought nothing of it.

Well if that's the shizo I can get that's what I'm getting - yours was nice to press as well.

Come round this weekend man - Sez and I would like to see your new ride :)

DumHed if the offer is still open I'll still take ya up on it I'm sure there is merit to what Iwells is saying that they're savage - and if so I'd like to try more than one BB clutch if possible.

I guess there are savage BB and tamer BB clutches out there.

Cheers guys!

Thanks Dumhed for letting me drive your car today and for that solenoid! I put it in but wasn't able to grab a T piece.

Thanks heaps to CEF11E too for helping me out and stopping me from giving up half way haha

Funny thing is when I moved the car around into the garage CEF11E mentioned he heard a rattling, turns out it turned into a bad cluttering comign from somewhere around the gearbox.

When you put the clutch in it goes away.

Time for a gearbox recon haha!

CEF11E said it sounded like the thrust bearing or shaft or something... does that sound about right?

I thought it was stuck when we were working on it cos it wouldn't go into 1st, 2nd, 4th was squishy and I couldn't get up the hill in 3rd :D

It'd be nice if I KNEW what was wrong.

Gees CC been reading thru all this on going saga and all i can say is KUDOS to you dude!!! I have a 88 Ceffie on the way from the land of Japan, due here in a few weeks and i have everything crossed that it doesn't have half the issues you are having.......If i was you the car would of copped a verbal abusing then a endless beating.......sure it doesn't fix the problem...but you feel oh so much better afterwards......anyways i live in the same area (chatswood) so once she lands i will have to come say g'day to everyone and maybe drop by and check out this car i hear so much about........I'd wish i could help out but i'd say my mechanic skills leave a little to be desired...but hey i got 2 hands so i can only learn!!

Good onya mate hopefully my car will be on the road in April sometime with a new clutch and possibly new gearbox.

Actually I'm confident I've fixed up all the dodginess and the car is sweet now so it's just a matter of putting finishing touches on it (extractor heat shield, pod box, amp, speaker placement etc).

Once the new clutch goes in and it's engineered it'll be NOOOICE... the day I've been waiting for for 6 expensive months.

I thought straight away cool I'll have someone to cruise with but now that I see your avatar your car looks great and it will take too much attention from mine with that nice colour :(

Lemme know when you get it I'd love to have a look.

Mate what u on about......ur ceffie is HORN!! I actually had the pic of it infront of the house as my wallpaper for ages.(when on meggala's site)...then i found out u bought it. Mine is all pretty stocko.....RB20, exhaust, roll cage, wheels and yes paint job. It supposedly a mix blue / purple depending on lighting.....im sure both cars will look quite nice together....

Yeah should catch up once its here....good luck with the engineering, im sure it will all be passable!

Wooo! CC we gotta have a cruise day. My new turbo is in its just getting tweaked (new braided feedlines) and then tuned with the new computer so im itching to get out and have a thrash!

I got the Rb25 rebuilt with a GT28 cartige and Hiflowed (apparently good for about 400-450hp) and a plug and play wolf3d.

I just talked to my mechanic and it should be ready tomorrow ;)

Thanks deviat - I still reckon yours looks madness. Lemme know if you don't want the cage.

Basket - nice one good to hear you got your new stuff - am I to take it your engine was rebuilt also? Sounds exxy.. You'll get 200+ easy now, and a nice torquey curve also methinks.

CC - Mate i think the roll cage will be staying, but if i change my mind will let you know for sure!

Basket - Dude did you drop the RB25 into it, or did u get the car already with the RB25? Looking at dropping same engine in and i know prices for the engine but just wondering on costs for installing it all?

Cheers