SAU Community

R33 Series II - M Spec or not?

Hi, Guys. I thought I had worked all this out, but from looking at some dealers' websites and stuff, I am now confused. Some have suggested that all Series II R33 GTSTs are M-Spec. Which was news to me, but I thought "OK". I have now seen others suggesting that you could get R33 Series IIs and R33 Series II M-Specs. Previously, I had seen people suggest that there was only an M-Spec version of a Series I, and that all Series IIs got whatever goodies the M-Spec had (whatever they were).

My main interest in this is to determine what spec my own car is, which is a 1997 Series II. Can anyone help me with which is what?

I have tried to download the Nissan FAST software, but failed miserably.

I understand that the M-Spec has a limited slip diff as standard (supposedly). As I have just had to replace my right rear tyre (loads more wear than the left), I suspect that mine is not a limited slip diff.

Any thoughts/pointers would be welcome (and I have got nowhere with the search button on this one! And I have long since read the Series I vs Series II threads).

Cheers. :D

P.S. I think I have demonstrated my confusion by writing a really confused question! So, in summary: Is there a Series II M-Spec? If so, what distinguishes it?

yes there is an R33 GTS25t series II M-Spec.

and an R33 GTS25t series I M-Spec.

and no R33 GTS25t non M-spec.

There may have been a difference in R32s (try a search on that exciting question :D )

What you may find is that there was a mechanical LSD option on gtsts, some have the diff from the GTR VSpec. All other GTSTs have a viscous limited slip diff.

Re right rear tyre wearing faster....unless you have been doing lots of 1 wheel burnouts (commodore style) that is not the problem. What you need is a wheel alignment, most likely the toe or camber is out at the rear.

BTW if you want to post or pm me your VIN I can check it out for you

Duncan, thanks for the detailed reply. If you see two of these posts - it's because everything stopped when I hit the send button and I appear to have lost the first version!

Anyway, would you clarify one point for me: you said "No R33 GTS25T non M-Spec" - does this apply to both Series 1 & II, or just to Series II?

Thanks for the tip about the toe/camber. I will get that checked out. From my limited reading on the topic, I understand that the viscous coupling type LSD allows more slip than a mechanical LSD - hence the latter being fitted to V Spec vehicles.

I am pleased to say that I don't usually do Commodore style burnouts :) - or any burnouts for that matter. When I have booted it turning out of a side road, or wherever, I thought that I have had both wheels spinning at one time or another - maybe one at a time, but it certainly seemed like it has happened both sides. However, I haven't gone back to look at any black marks.

Meanwhile, my VIN is ECR33 130758. Thanks for offering to look it up.

If it helps at all, the Model No. is GGKBRTFR33VDA-A--A. The number beneath that, which I understand is for the transmission, is FS5R30A RC41.

Thanks again for your help.

Ahh well you already had the model number, that is the main thing, it can be decoded to tell which options were factory fitted to your car. FAST also recorded it as GGKBRTFR33VDA-A--A. There is a thread somewhere with some of the decoding, try a search.

Your car:

built in 02/97.

5speed manual

model: GTS25TM

And yes, all R33 GTS25t are M Spec, series I and II are the same.

There are 2 issues with viscous limited slip diffs....1 they have a low locking rating so 1 wheel can still spin in extreme conditions, and 2 they wear out, becoming an unlimited slip diff :D. Mechanical diffs like the v-spec diff use clutches and generally have a much higher level of lock up

Duncan,

You're a star! :nowigetit Thanks heaps for the info, mate and spending the time to look it all up. Very much appreciated. Now I can rest contented in the knowledge that I too have an M-Spec! :( The fact that everyone else does who has an R33 simply means they don't have something that I don't (terrible double negative, but hopefully you get my drift!)

I will chase up the decoding thread.

Thanks for that.

Bah... you're ALL wrong. It's "Type M". lol

Thanks, Rezz. I want to get this kind of stuff totally right - otherwise I shall simply become another who spreads shite under the guise of knowledge! :D

And I am sure that Duncan knew that - I simply led him astray by the expression that I used in my question!

So, if they are all "Type M", why bother making the distinction?

Cheers.

i thought the difference between type m and no type m was that the type M has a factory bodykit!! you all know wat im on about?

No even the cars without sideskirts were Type-M.

What about the Sedans? Were all GTS25t four door cars also type-M?

I have a copy of CAR SENSOR straight from Japan here. For every series 2 it says:

R33 GTS25T M-SPEC 2

:werd:

It is possible that there was a difference in bodykits with R32 only. There have been about a million threads over the years on that one, I'm not sure what is correct

I still can't beleive I said a skyline was named after a hondah

Type R

Type S

Type M?????

I have a copy of CAR SENSOR straight from Japan here. For every series 2 it says:

R33 GTS25T M-SPEC 2

Please truust me on this one mate: It's R33 GTS25-t Type M.

What you saw in Car Sensor was R33 GTS25-t "Type M.... Spec 2"