SAU Community

:( Need your thoughts

Guys yes it happened, I dont have my pistons out yet but I have no compression in number 1-2-3-4- and alittle in 5, number 6 seams to be ok.

I was driving home from the movies last night (not particularly hot), had the miss's and the bub so was no pushing it. went to change to go arround a corner and she died, would not re-start, no kick.

After a quick investigation the throttle cable had came off and hence the valves were all closed = no fuel or air = no fire.

re attached it...

it kind of spluttered and ran and was making a loud lifter noise and then came up to speed then stopped. then would not start at all. no fire.

tow'd it home, rough compression test indicated nothing in 1-2-3 very small in 4-5 and pretty strong in 6.

checked the plugs and 1-2-3 were light brown, 4-5-6 were pretty dark, but NOT oily. Plugs are in good order.

checked cam belt, which seams fine and tight.

I think th eonly thing left is to assume some swiz pistons? anyone else got any ideas or suggestions?

only thing that is interesting is a week ago one pod cam adrift and was running one pod and one with out (both AFM still attached) so I would say that thr fron three were the one with out a pod and hence got more air? could this have caused it or did it just fail?

Guss I just want an idea of what happened....

Cheers guys!

The pods/turbos merge into a single pipe before the intercooler so its not setup as air intake 1 serves cylinders 1-3 and air intake 2 serves 4-6.

From the sounds it was making and what you explained happened I would say something is dead in the bottom end, possibly pistons. It doesnt take much detonation to fry the standard ringlands, you can do a search on the forums and see its a common problem. It didnt have a knocking noise (so you say) indicating stuffed bearings so crankshaft + rods should still be ok. Id be betting my money on blown pistons, but youre unfortunately not going to know until you strip her down.

As I said, if you can do it yourself you will save ALOT of money in labour, otherwise Ed will be more than happy to do it.

EDIT: Oh and with the spark plugs its showing cylinders 4-5-6 were running richer than 1-2-3 (or 1-2-3 were just burning better, and maybe there was an ignition problem on 4-5-6).

I think I can take the engine out but the rebuild will have to get some one else to do.

Yep doing this alone will save you over $1000 in labour, it is a bastard of a job though. If you need any assistance (not this weekend though) give us a call and im more than willing to come and help out where I can.

Id reccomend www.proengines.com.au for rebuild, they did my engine, did whytrys engine and also did deans engine. Greg who works there is an awesome guy, very fair prices and stands by his products.

EDIT: Just also saw your post on pistons, have a talk to Greg he got me an excellent price on mine. Arias and Wiesco are around the $1300 mark for all 6. Wiesco from my understanding require a bit of machining work, but the Arias are good as gold to put in.

Also do NOT buy the pistons until the engine is stripped. If the cylinder walls are damaged the block will need to be bored out and honed, so standard size pistons will not fit (you will need slightly oversize). Also if its already had a rebuild somewhere along the line and the bore is 87mm instead of 86mm and you buy 86.5mm pistons, youve just wasted $1300.

Suss out the damage first and what exactly has gone wrong, and go from there. You never know, it may end up cheaper than you think :rolleyes:

ANOTHER EDIT: Ill talk to Ed tonite and see if he has compression/leak down tester so we can go and double check the results on your engine before pulling it if you want.

Oh, That sux man!!!

Hope you sort it all out...

And again, Ive had some experience in mechanics (2nd yr Apprentice) so if you need a hand... ill be happy to help....

I say Party at stirlo's place, bring ya tools, grog and meat :D... we can all do our parts.

heres what we have done...

checked cylinders for compression with a good guage...

all have a fair amount of compression, except no#2

now... the engine turns over fine/smooth/ and cams operate fine/smooth

how ever when turning over checking compression, there is no fuel comming out of the cyclinders??????

maybe this is why it wont fire or run? even if the compression was down it should still fire and idle, but it wont at all, ignition has been checked and all are sparking fine.

I can only put it down to no fuel?

A mechanic I have been talking to has suggested that its more likely that the fuel is the issue and the compression in No#2 was probably always an issue, and could be caused by burnt valve/seats, which can be fixed by taking the head off and grind/polish/shining the valves and seats.

Given that I was not giving it much and the main reason it stopped was the throttle comming off, it would be very wierd for the piston to ping (run lean), how ever there is a fuel issue here but I susspect at this point that it is why the engine wont fire or run at all, I dont want to pull the engine out replace the pistons and find it still wont run..

unfortunatly I dont know much about the injection system or which wires are which up there, so no I havent, I cant under stand why the throttle comming off has up set it so much, is is possibly an ecu thing? there is an electrical box on the side of the throttle, but I dont know what it does.

thats the tps, maybe check that out got a link for ya (just gotta find it)

on the gtst the injector loom has a plug at the front of the fuel rail i guess you could try there with a multimeter etc...

but now you mention it, it may be the throtle coming off has stuffed the tps maybe?

Let me say firstly I dont Know sh!t. However

Iv'e got a GTR Fuel Pump you can check with (replaced yesterday with a bigger unit).

Have you checked if Fuel Pump is earthed/grounded properly. If it's not the motor will turn over but not run. Do you have power at the injectors as asked earlier in this thread? You can place a globe in the end of the injector loom and check (Ed's got one).

Both No fuel and/or No spark can be caused by the above.

May be obvious but have you checked fuses?

Last suggestion - ask Ed. His advice is free has been my experience.