SAU Community

R30 Brake Upgrade

I'm looking at doing some sort of upgrade on my R30 hatch. ATM, it has a single-pot floating caliper over a ventilated disk.

I notice from the DBA catalogue that the 280ZX has a similar size disk. But it has a 'centre hole' diameter, whereas the R30 is a 'hub type'.

Are these 2 compatible ie can I fit the ZX disk on the R30? Could I just fit the ZX caliper (if its a 2-pot type)? (I can probably get the disks and calipers from a wrecker)

Short answer is no, or at least not easily. 'hub type' means that the hub and disc are cast as one piece, but the 280ZX disc requires to be bolted to the hub - with the R30 disc/hub arrangment there's nothing to bolt to. But your not alone, locally built non-GTS R31 Skylines use the same arrangment.

There are ways around your problem, but they are dependent on your mechanical and perhaps machining skills. For example, you could see if a hub from a different Nissan model can be substituted and this opens up the range of discs you can use. For starters look at 240K, C210 Skyline or even 240Z/260Z. It should be possible to adapt the 280ZX disc to these, or possibly something like Z31 discs.

As far as calipers are concerned, suggest you look at late Toyota Hilux cals for vented discs which are 4-spot and bolt straight up to Z cal mounts (I think R30 is similar, but not sure). These cals are cast iron and heavy but give vastly improved braking. Another possibility is 6-series BMW cals which can be bought very cheaply, but require some modification.

Good luck.

It was the moustache that gave you away....

Chris will be at Calder on Sunday, so might be worth a talk to him as he's done a fair few brake conversions, but no R30's that I know of. I've got a spare set of 240Z hubs that you can try if you like.