SAU Community

Timing Belt Change - Some Help Required

Scooby_Steve

Hi,

I was just wondering if the process to change the Timing Belt in a R33 Skyline Series II is complex?

Where can I buy this timing belt from? I've got a mate who probably can do it but I dont want to ask him if it's going to be a lengthy task.

Also, what price should I be looking at if I was to get this done via a workshop/mechanic? Any suggestions on where to get it done (ultratune?)

Lastly any suggestions on what should be replaced so that it will save me Labour cost in the future (eg. water pump?)

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Regards

Steve

Also get the idler and adjuster bearing sets. There is a thread on these in the forum but if they go, then the engine goes. Mine had done 120000km and were pretty ordinary. About $120 for the NSK set. Use the search feature. Also might be worth changing the guide plates @ about $10 for the pair and the woodruff keys if they look a little worn for a couple of bucks, both from nissan. Ring NSK direct for a local supplier but don't use nissan for the bearings as they will ask for your first born and 2 fingers :D

also get the waterpump checked while they are in there. It will save you a couple of hours labour in case if it craps itself only a few thousand kms later and all the same stuff has to be pulled out to get at it again.

Have done the job in about 5 hrs with a mate (including farting about) the timing belt got from nissan the idler and tensioner bearing after market (got sell a kidney if you want nissan items) the cam and crank seals are all the same can get them from ACL changed water pump while was there saves headache later on careful pulling of the balancer it will be tight but does come off make sure to mark the sensor on the cam and when you take the front part of the vvt unit off on the inlet some oil will come out and its spring loaded dont loose the bolts

Hi,

I was just wondering if the process to change the Timing Belt in a R33 Skyline Series II is complex?  

Where can I buy this timing belt from? I've got a mate who probably can do it but I dont want to ask him if it's going to be a lengthy task.

Also, what price should I be looking at if I was to get this done via a workshop/mechanic? Any suggestions on where to get it done (ultratune?)

Lastly any suggestions on what should be replaced so that it will save me Labour cost in the future (eg. water pump?)

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Regards

Steve

When doing a timing belt replacement, its good practice to replace the water pump, and the idler bearing & tensioner bearing, and fan belts, eg power steering, alternator, so on. As it’s much easier to do it now once it’s apart, especially water pump. Because you could get the timing belt changed and your water pump could die in one month’s time.

And then it’s back into the garage pulling everything off again.

Idler and tensioner bearings you can get at any bearing place (Alard Bearings), Cost any where from $60 on wards. And as for the timing belt just go genuine, cost should be around $100 for a timing belt.

The biggest cost would be labor, as it’s a time consuming process. And that really depends on what your mechanic charges.

Hope that helps.

Steve the part numbers are PBT15 $40.00 and 56TB2801B01 $64.00 and the brand is called PART TECH if you take the numbers to a bearing place like CBC bearings etc.. they should be able to match them up the place i got them from is Mekong Spare Parts 9724 0691 if you any problems let me know

didnt you guys see the post were the dudes waterpumped housing sheared in half and threw the fan blade into the radiator, he reckond the belt was done up too tight or there was a stress fracture, it was nasty

• 3 months later...