SAU Community

reversed fmic piping....

franks

was at dyno day yesterday and the guys from DNA were out there with a couple of guys sporting their kits. quite impressive i must say.

if you haven't seen their kit, here are some pics below. most noticeable about this kit is the pipework. its reversed, inlet from the left, outlet from the right. the idea of this was to have the outlet pipe not go over the hot section of the car - in effect keeping it as cool as possible. DNA say their fmic keeps inlet temperature atleast 5 degrees cooler than conventional fmic kits...

anyone have any comments on their system? from what i can see:

-the pipework length and amount of bends is pretty much the same as any other conventional system.

-the idea of running the pipes that way is quite ingenius

-quality of parts and workmanship looks fantastic

-cost of kit ($1950) is extremely competitive.

-why havent the japs gone this way?

-will running the pipes over the hottest section of the car heat the air so much as to make the i/c inefficient enough to cope?

DSCN1702.JPG

DSCN1703.JPG

DSCN1704.JPG

DSCN1705.JPG

DSCN1696.JPG

DSCN1695.JPG

Guest Boxhead

ooooeeeerrrr... that looks smirfy...

umm well i could be wrong, but this is the way im thinkin... you dont really mind what temp air is before it goes through i/c.. you just want it cooler coming from it.. so.. if you have the air heatin more after it goes through, it would end up hotter then if you had hottest pt before the i/c... if the heat was worrying you, wouldnt you buy a bigger i/c? so it could cope?

its a nice idea.. and i dont think anyone will be able to just come on and say yay or nay, i think tests shoudl be done.

Well here's my 2c.

Either way there is bugger all extra heat saving. The ambient underbonnet temps will see to that. I notice this car doesn't have a cold air box either.

The nice long and very hot 'boosted' inlet pipe is going to get the underbonnet temps right up there. Heating everything from the front timing cover to the intake manifold, radiator hose and belts (No thanks).

Thermo wrapping the pipes makes the argument void. So everyone lets just do that no matter which way you put the pipe.

:cool:

Whats the dna cooler flow like? It looks well made.

Why didn't they go the extra mile and take the pipe across the front at the bottom of the radiator where it's in the airflow instead of up high where bit just adds heat to the engine bay. That's how my ARE setup is done.

:eek: OMG so many 90 degree bends! BLASPHEMY! LYNCH EM!

lol its smart, but like usually heat under a bonnet is taken as an ambient temp innit? as in hotter air will move towards where corder air is, so theoretically the air temp in all the connected areas of the engine bay will be hot... unless of course they were partitioned.

What's the Kit include? What are the dimensions of that FMIC, does the kit include cold air intake?