SAU Community

Turbo/Manifold Stud Size/Pitch/Length

Hi All,

First off, some of you have probably read about my problems in another thread about leaking manifolds. To cut to the chase, I basically have a leak somewhere around the exhaust manifold or turbos on my R32 GT-R.

I have decided that I may as well be thorough and replace most of the gaskets, studs and nuts as I go. Anyway, I have (or will have tomorrow) everything I need except the studs, nuts and washers where the turbo meets the exhaust manifold. Crows Nest Nissan can get them, but its going to be over $200 for the eight studs/nuts/washers which is just outrageous IMHO.

Speaking to SydneyKid, he said that the studs are just a standard metric size and should be available through a generic nut supplier. He also said the stud pitch and length/height is listed in the workshop manual.

I feel like a bit of a gimp, but I can't for the life of me find the details in the workshop manual. I have gone through every single page of the english R32 Workshop Manual and the only details listed (that I can see) are tightening torques.

Perhaps they are listed in the R33 or R34 manuals, or the Japanese R32 manual: unfortunately I don't have those. Does anyone know what the specs for the studs are, or know where they are listed?

Again, I feel like a bit of a fool for asking, but I have drawn a blank :Oops:

Edit: So people know what I am talking about:

turbo-manifold-stud.png

Cheers,

Lucien.

from memory they are M10 x 1.25 manfold studs

Interesting. They look similar to the turbo/dump studs I got from GCG today (they don't have the turbo/manifold ones :D), but seem a bit longer (which makes sense, since the Nissan part numbers are different).

Are you able to stick a ruler on it for length?

Cheers,

Lucien.

Richard: I have spoken to Lee Bros. already. They don't have a stud with 1.25mm pitch on both ends, but if I get desperate the can help with a 60mm stud.

My problem is I need the studs before I take the car apart. I won't bore you with why, but if I take things apart and don't have the right studs I basically have to dump the car for two weeks.

Anyway, spoke to a muffler shop in Leichhardt and he reakons he has the right studs so I will try there first :rofl:

Lucien.

well i could not find a ruler or a tape measure but i hope this helps tou out its bout 50--55mm something like that

but i just bought some today must be replaced everytime you take the manifold off

They must be replaced everytime you take the exi mani off? I re-used mine and they're fine (sr20). Is this only on the rb26 or all engines?

Should I be taking my turbo off and replacing them!?

The manifold to head studs are M10x1.25, but the turbo to manifold studs won't be that big (I'd be very surprised).   More likely M8x1.25.

Oh dear. The turbo to dumps are M10 according to GCG: wouldn't it make sense that the manifold to turbo one is also M10 (he says, looking at the M10 studs he just bought)?

blackrb20silvia: reakon you could line up that stud against a print out of the thread pitch chart I posted (about 4 posts up)? When printing in Acrobat, make sure scaling is set to None....

Edit: and the studs I just got are about 52mm long. Hopefully long enough :rofl:

LW.

Oh dear.  The turbo to dumps are M10 according to GCG: wouldn't it make sense that the manifold to turbo one is also M10 (he says, looking at the M10 studs he just bought)?.

Well they could be M10, seems rather big to me. Someone with a GTR turbo lying around should measure it - I can check tonight.

They must be replaced everytime you take the exi mani off? I re-used mine and they're fine (sr20). Is this only on the rb26 or all engines?

nah, as long as the thread on them is ok. it's your call. make a judgement when you remove/replace your manifold. if they are old and starting to deteriorate then replace 'em. I certainly wouldn't take your turbo or manifold off to replace studs that are working fine.

Lucien, if you get stuck there is no problem in cutting or linishing the studs. plus if they are just going onto the manifold/turbo flange then it probably wouldn't matter if they are 5mm too long.

The turbo to dumps are M10 according to GCG

Come to think of it, I'm 99% sure that's not right....the dumps on RB20/25 are attached by M8 bolts/studs, I doubt that RB26 would be any different esp with, I would think, smaller dumps.

ok first off when i posted there was no pic refering to the turbo flange bolts i posted bout the manifold studs which are M10 x 1.25 sorry to confuse

also it is highly recomended that when removing the manifold studs or turbo studs that they are replaced

1 because of the huge amount of expansion and contraction in that area

2 the last thing you want is when torqueing the bolts up is one to snap in the head if you are re-using

im sorry im just highly against reusing these bolts im not saying this to make money on it am i?

i have had alot of bad experiance with manifold studs and it is well worth the time and the money to replace when ever you take it off or it can cost tripple the amount if you snap them in the head please consider this when you change them please

what does a new head cost these days or the price of a helicoil kit or the labour of doing it what bout ezyouts well there not always ezy and if they snap too your in trouble

sorry to go on i just dont want iwells to have to pay twice when things go wrong!!!!

Trust me, I don't want to reuse the studs/nuts. So these M10 1.25s are actually for the exh manifold->head? :)

I just need to know exactly what the specs are for the turbo->manifold and turbo->dump studs.

LW.

LW - Did you see my PM? All the info you need should be in there..

Yes, sorry, I was racing around and didn't have time to reply.

Again, I can't see any description for the pitch or size in the R33 manual, just like the R32 (unless I am blind). I guess it just assumes you will be purchasing them from Nissan.

LW.

FWIW the part numbers are:

turbo->manifold studs: 14064-05U01

turbo->manifold nuts: 14432-0B700

Dump->turbo studs: 14414-17F00

Dump->turbo nuts: 14432-0B700

Note that the nuts used are the same in each case, so the thread will be the same also.

Yeah, as per the other thread, I ran the part numbers by Crows Nest Nissan (hence I found out for the the 8 turbo->manifold studs/nuts it would be ~$200). I agree it means the width is the same.

And I think your right about them being M8s too. Hmph.

LW.