SAU Community

How am I meant to fit a heat shield in this mess?

Burns

I purchased my car without the air box and with an unshielded apexi pod filter.

When I was fitting a trans cooler today I had a bit of a look around to try to work out how to shield the pod and get some cold air to it. It doesn’t look like I will be able to fit a stock air box back in there with the intercooler piping so my best option is probably to fit a stock snorkel to feed it cold air with a shield cut and shaped out of aluminium or a plastic sheet (ABS) but there is just so much crap in the way. I don’t think it will be able to get a good seel if I have to cut out holes in the shield to fit around all the crap and I’m not sure how I can relocate some of it to make it all a bit cleaner. The intercooler pipes, oil catch can, boost controller solenoids, carbon canister and coolant overflow are all cluttering it up.

Dose any one have any ideas on how I can make something effective without heaps of stuffing around?

1246RIMG0896.JPG

1246RIMG0898.JPG

if you relocate that boost controller you should be able to fabricate something up to slot between the IC pipework, and the filter then bring it back to the strut tower ..

this is all very nice but where is it going to get its cold air feed from ????

/me shrugs

Wooohoo, that is a test of ingenuity.

Personally I would;

1. move the catch can to the RHS, behind the battery.

2. move the boost control solenoid to behind the LHS strut tower

3. remove the standard boost control solenoid

4. make up a cardboard template that is inserterd vertically from the power steering reservoir to the radiator and seals agains the bonnet when it is closed. When you have design that you are hapopy with, transfer it onto a piece of 1.5 mm alumium sheet.

5. feed the ambient air from the LHS bumper vent, up though a hole in the inner guard near the intercooler pipework. If you use the entire LHS bumper vent to supply ambient air there should be sufficient airflow such that (when the car is moving forwards) there is positive air pressure within the contained area. Hence the filter will not injest any hot air, like it currently does in spades.

Hope that was of some help:cheers:

sorry to hi-jack, but I want some advice too :rolleyes:

I currently have apexi pods on the GTR and I too want to box them in and add a CAI. BUT, my passenger side 'brake duct' is currently full with my oil cooler (it has a nice little aluminium partition built inside the duct). where else can I get a CA feed from? is there anywhere that has off the shelf partitions for a GTR with apexi pods?

sorry to hi-jack, but I want some advice too :)

I currently have apexi pods on the GTR and I too want to box them in and add a CAI. BUT, my passenger side 'brake duct' is currently full with my oil cooler (it has a nice little aluminium partition built inside the duct). where else can I get a CA feed from? is there anywhere that has off the shelf partitions for a GTR with apexi pods?

What model GTR?:rolleyes:

Looks like a bit of a challenge. You could try doing what I've done and use a heat resistant foam that you can purchase from Clark Robber, or any other foam place. The one I'm using is 1.5cm thick, and can be bent and cut any way you like.

Just like SK said, first make up a cardboard template (doing it in three or four sections is easier then one large one), cut out the holes for the piping and the air flow meter and then just transfer it onto the foam. Then just take everything off and put it through the holes, and you should get a very good seal.

Although it may not be a substitute for a proper heat shield, this stuff works well and should cost you less then $30 plus an hour or so of your time.

Cheers

Daniel

Shield1.jpg

Shield2.jpg

I think I might try making something up with the heat shield foam first using then make one up out of aluminium once I am satisfied with the design in the foam and use the foam to line it for better insulation.

Once it get all the crap out of the way it will probably be a bit easier.

1. There is not space behind the battery, it is full of fuse box but I think I might be able squeeze it in front of the battery right up next to the radiator.

2. The Blitz boost control solenoid should not be to hard to move but I will probably have to muck around a bit extending and rerouting the hoses and wiring.

3. Is it safe to remove the stock boost control solenoid? Will it muck up the tuning of the Blitz system? Will it give error codes and confuse the ECU?

4. Getting ambient air from the LHS bumper vent could be a bit tricky as most of it is full of intercooler pipe. I have thought about using a stock snorkel with air guide to feed air in thought a cut out in the shield but it looks like the intercooler pipes will get in the way, I tried with the snorkel of my R33 GTS-t and the pipes came up to high. Unlike the Skyline there seems to be a bit of a gap above and below the headlight that is blocked off by a cheap looking rubber flap it am thinking that if I remove this flap I might be able to get enough air flowing in around the head light and from gaps around the holes the intercooler pipes run through.

I think with some movements as SK said, and trialling taking temp sensor readings from different applications of the thermal foam you'll find a good path to run your aluminium end-product. But as for getting more ambient air into the sectioned off pod...

Getting ambient air from the LHS bumper vent could be a bit tricky as most of it is full of intercooler pipe. I have thought about using a stock snorkel with air guide to feed air in thought a cut out in the shield but it looks like the intercooler pipes will get in the way, I tried with the snorkel of my R33 GTS-t and the pipes came up to high. Unlike the Skyline there seems to be a bit of a gap above and below the headlight that is blocked off by a cheap looking rubber flap it am thinking that if I remove this flap I might be able to get enough air flowing in around the head light and from gaps around the holes the intercooler pipes run through.

Here's another option... dunno if its allowed in QLD - I know some states dont allow cutting into the bonnet - but WA does so check QLD rules and throw in the Abflug Stagea specific vent that is meant exactly for Pod application...

0034010001.jpg0034030001.jpg0034050001.jpg

And at only 9,240yen (about $100) I'll be ordering mine soon :(http://www.ab-flug.co.jp/indexf.htm

The WA rules will let me do this to get direct ambient air to my intake (woohoo) - this is from the WA rules...

No structural cosmetic change is allowed other than spoilers and bonnet scoops.  

1. The fitting of front and rear spoilers either of fibreglass or sheet metal is acceptable, provided it is not likely to increase the risk of bodily injury to a person.  

2. An air scoop fitted to the bonnet of a vehicle must not intrude into the line of sight. An air scoop must not have an unobstructed rearward facing opening (an incident such as the bursting of a radiator hose could result in the windscreen becoming completely obscured). The maximum air scoop projection should not exceed 60 mm

Oh and check all the nice PentRoof parts for Stageas on that site too... PentRoof WGNC34 Bilstein coilovers!!! :drool: Only $3650 :)

7934190001.jpg

:P

San Ni (32) ;)

R32GTR's have large square hole under the LHS headlight. Feed the cold air from in front of the LHS of the radiator though that hole and into the shielded area around the POD.:(

• 3 weeks later...

I have almost got it all sorted out now.

I moved the catch can to the other side just in front of the battery and the boost controller behind the strut tower and ABS module.

RIMG0992.JPG

I also removed the rubber crap that blocks the air flow around and under the headlight

RIMG0985.JPG

RIMG1015.JPG

Then I made up a shield out of heat shield foam from Clark Rubber after making a very crude cardboard template. It is still not quite right I cut a bit too much out in some spots so I am going to use it to make a more accurately fitting one.

RIMG1020.JPG

RIMG1019.JPG

I am planning to use the foam by it's self but with a bit of aluminum angle to reinforce it. Once I make version two it will give a very good air tight seal.

The only thing I'm a bit unsure about is if I should cut a bit of foam to seal against the bonnet or make a lid for it.

RIMG1014.JPG

RIMG1013.JPG

RIMG1012.JPG

All done now I ended up making 4 iterations of the foam shield before getting it spot on, it didn't help that the dog ate one. I will take some pics of the finished product and post them up tomorrow. There is absolutely no gaps around the foam it gives a really good seal the only place hot air can get in is the inch gap over the top of the bit of angle. I’m not sure if I will make up a lid for it or just trim a bit of soft foam to stick along the top of the angle to seal against the bonnet.

Pics bellow of the finished product. I’m yet to make a lid or a seal between the top of the partition and bonnet but that’s the easy bit.

I think I will just trim a bit of foam to size, paint it black and glue it on.

RIMG10121.JPG

RIMG1011.JPG

RIMG1008.JPG

RIMG10141.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...