SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

PSI_GTSII, I think you'll be happy with them. We just got results from the QLD Challenge - we were 3rd outright in Speed classification on the 595SS, with everyone else up the pointy end on semi-slicks. We made a bit of a mistake on one of the stages too, out on the grass/dirt on the outside of a hairpin, which would have cost a few seconds, and considering we were 2 seconds behind 2nd place that looks like it cost us a place. I'm pretty happy with the results for normal road tyres.

Excellent result, you've gotta be happy with that :laugh:

I was going to go the SS's but thought I'd always be thinking what if i'd bought the RS's......

So since the other half had given the go ahead I thought i'd seize the opertunity (since baby is on way and if I dont act now i'll never get em!)

Was going to enter WRXOC Track day at Collie on the 16 September but I think this is full already so looks like first test will be Track night @ Barbegello on the 28th...won this last time around (61 seconds dead) on bald import tyres, so should be good comparison.

emmmm, see i can get 275 35 R18 all around, and i dont think i will have much traction issues even with nexen....

for the same price, i can get 225 all around from bridgestone, and then i would have problems with traction.......

nope thats not true.....a good 225 *can* give you better traction than a bad 275 :)

nope thats not true.....a good 225 *can* give you better traction than a bad 275 :P

that is so true, a bad tyre in no matter what size will not be as a good tyre several sizes smaller, but why worry about telling people that, all they ever seem to wanna do is save money, and they will buy the tyre that is $2 cheaper because they think they are saving money, but the quality of the one $2 more is prolly twice as good.

I stated my opinion on Nexens and Sava's and if people wish to ignore that opinion it is there choice, but if i was shopping for tyres on a car that I valued and drove a little hard, the last thing i would do is get something that more than 1 person has said something bad about.

that is so true, a bad tyre in no matter what size will not be as a good tyre several sizes smaller, but why worry about telling people that, all they ever seem to wanna do is save money, and they will buy the tyre that is $2 cheaper because they think they are saving money, but the quality of the one $2 more is prolly twice as good.

I stated my opinion on Nexens and Sava's and if people wish to ignore that opinion it is there choice, but if i was shopping for tyres on a car that I valued and drove a little hard, the last thing i would do is get something that more than 1 person has said something bad about.

why did you have to take offence????? thanx for your opinion, and i was asking another question, as simple as that.

I was told the nexen has silicon compound tyres, and thats why i thought they were all right.

btw, we are not talking about 2 dollars difference here, lets try 400 difference for each tyre??? i do not want to spend well over 2000 for a set of tyres..............put yourself in the position, what would u do??

and i do know a certain GTR which is putting around 400AWHP running on 245 nankangs (which is supposed to be shit right?), and he does not have much traction issues at all.....

Edited by frankxinyu

hi,

i just got a new set of wheels and just wondering if my tyre profiles are right. i got a 235/40 R18 for the front and 265/35 R18 for the rear. i was just thinking as my rear tyres looks smaller than my front and will these different profiles affect the overall handling and ride as they are different in diameter..

My tyres are Nankang NS-II... although not fantastic but they are quite value for money as grip is pretty good, not sure for wet weather.

why did you have to take offence????? thanx for your opinion, and i was asking another question, as simple as that.

I was told the nexen has silicon compound tyres, and thats why i thought they were all right.

btw, we are not talking about 2 dollars difference here, lets try 400 difference for each tyre??? i do not want to spend well over 2000 for a set of tyres..............put yourself in the position, what would u do??

and i do know a certain GTR which is putting around 400AWHP running on 245 nankangs (which is supposed to be shit right?), and he does not have much traction issues at all.....

Hey only offered advice, and My main car is a VE SV6 commodore, and it is running 255 55 18's factory, and they retrail at around $550 a tyre, and there is no cheaper brands in that size, so i do know how you feel, but as i said, only advice, get the nexens, dont mean nothing to me.

and your certain GTR with 400 AWHP is running nankangs not nexens.

Quick update on mine.

Dunlop SP9000s 215/45/17s on the front. Really nice tyre. Quite, good ride, awesome in the wet, awesome in the dry. Just a wee bit exxy at $330 each in the above size.

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 235/45/17s on the rear. Also a really nice tyre, quite, good ride again, really good in the wet (ie 2nd gear at 4000rpm plant foot instant boost no wheel spin AT ALL in the cold and wet) quite nice in the dry. Fair bit cheaper at $260each in the above size.

That said I still rather the SP9000s and I would have got them for the rear but at over $350 each with a 4 week wait, just wasnt going to happen. I think the SP Sport Maxx are a nice compromise. They are better than the Brig G3s I've had on previously.

And to say $2k is too much for tyres, I dont mean to sound offencive, but $400 diff a tyre... dude thats less than half. I paid almost the money you would be spending on 4x 18inch rubber for 2x my 17s. At least try and find a compromise there somewhere. Thats on the verg of dangerous. Is your life your talking about.

And to say $2k is too much for tyres, I dont mean to sound offencive, but $400 diff a tyre... dude thats less than half. I paid almost the money you would be spending on 4x 18inch rubber for 2x my 17s. At least try and find a compromise there somewhere. Thats on the verg of dangerous. Is your life your talking about.

My thoughts too, I recond I can get retreats for about the same price as a nexen, and they will do the same job.

That said I still rather the SP9000s and I would have got them for the rear but at over $350 each with a 4 week wait, just wasnt going to happen. I think the SP Sport Maxx are a nice compromise. They are better than the

Hey mate, the sp sport maxxs are the updated replacement for the sp9000s so are meant to be the better new tyre, so saying they are not as good as sp9000s doesnt make too much sense! also ive noticed lately eveywhere was discounting the sp9000s heavily i assumed because the replacement model (maxxs) coming in.

About the nexens, true they are a cheaper tire, but money doesnt always buy quality in tyres, yes they are a silica compound tyre and most people that try them out find them to be great value for money, from feedback they are alot better then any tyre in the similar price range and higher, they wear out even, minimal road noise and you still get great performance out of them...

About the nexens, true they are a cheaper tire, but money doesnt always buy quality in tyres, yes they are a silica compound tyre and most people that try them out find them to be great value for money, from feedback they are alot better then any tyre in the similar price range and higher, they wear out even, minimal road noise and you still get great performance out of them...

exactly what i was told. oh well, it doesnt matter any more.

I wouldnt go that far... I dont think a nexen would delaminate at 120kmh :P

Yeah spose your right there, seen some nasty shit with retreads, but when i ran retreads once, they never peeled. just vibrated everywhere i went. got sick of balancing my wheels every 2 weeks. Put some real tyres on there, and they didnt vibrate again.

Hello,

Have run 245/45/17 Hankook 104's on my GTR.

Have changed my rims and now run 275/35/18 Hangkook 104's

With WORK XD9 18 by 10's in gunmetal

Hankook have just released there 107's but expect to pay $500 per corner.

Anyway 8000km on first set has seen almost no wear(rims are for sale with tyres)

Wet- 8

Dry- 9

Price - 10

Y rated

The maxima runs A539's by yokohama , not much driving done on this set approx.15000kms

Still good as new.

Wet- 9

dry- 8

price- 10

I had purchased them on sale 225/55/15 for $120 a corner 2 years ago

It is amazing to see how much tyres have increased in price over this thread.

Oil prices and steel prices,including some hefty commisions are being made.

We should all organise a group buy for tyres,pick a brand ,pick 4 to 5 sizes and organise the buy.

post-29124-1157634453.jpg

Quick update on mine.

Dunlop SP9000s 215/45/17s on the front. Really nice tyre. Quite, good ride, awesome in the wet, awesome in the dry. Just a wee bit exxy at $330 each in the above size.

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 235/45/17s on the rear. Also a really nice tyre, quite, good ride again, really good in the wet (ie 2nd gear at 4000rpm plant foot instant boost no wheel spin AT ALL in the cold and wet) quite nice in the dry. Fair bit cheaper at $260each in the above size.

That said I still rather the SP9000s and I would have got them for the rear but at over $350 each with a 4 week wait, just wasnt going to happen. I think the SP Sport Maxx are a nice compromise. They are better than the Brig G3s I've had on previously.

Further to siksII's comments I went to get new tyres with a friend and bought SP9000's for the front 235/45/17 and Dunlop Sport Maxx's for the rear 255/40/17 and to me the sport maxx's are definitely a better tyre. The wheels tyre test used the sp9000 as a control tyre a couple of years ago and it got destroyed by almost everything. The Sport maxx's were in the recent tyre test and did very well. They came first or second.

Next time you buy tyres go to eagle tyres at Granville you will save a motsa. Friend paid:

SP9000's 235/45/17- $200

Sport Maxx's 255/40/17- $240

Duncan- I have to retreat on my campaign against the sp9000's. I now have them on the front on some 17's with 235 on the front and they are very impressive. Guess the aspect ratio of the standard rims combined with a lack of width contributed to the horrible handling.

I have not changed the suspension at all and it is very nice. Turn in is sharper and there is now actually grip!