SAU Community

What fo you think of this situation?

B33st

My old man was up having breakfast on sunday at my uncles on the north side of brisbane (bridgeman downs) and took his young nephew for a run up the road in his XR6t, letting the blowoff valve off a few times.

Monday he's at work and his mobile rings and its some police officer looking for him, he's driven down to our place (loganholme) looking for him. Dad expains he's at work and cop get his details. cop then drives out to the work site where he is working, in beaudesert!, and issues him a fine for exessive noise. Only $200 and no points.

Turns out the cop was on his day of on the sunday and sitting at home had seen my old man go up the road and back and gotten his rego then tracked him down the next day!

yeah it'd be like a 3 hour round trip Bridgeman downs - loganholme - beaudesert and back. Plus whatever other time he spent looking for his details.

The cop also mentioned he was not usually involved in traffic fines and had to go pick up a fine book just for this occasion.

god!!! It would almost be worth the money to have a really good lawyer doing him over in court. Especially if the car is factory standard........almost tempted to start a fighting fund

Take it to court, if a cop had a grudge against you they could claim this sort of thing all the time...that's why it can't be done that way.

"that time last week when you did blah blah blah"

They have to fine you right then and there

The xr6t is modified, 320rwkw. It is also a little loulder than standard but i still thought the situation was a little wierd

Yep! As Dan says - where's the evidence? The cop claims your dad's BOV made excessive noise - your dad claims it didn't; so how is it resolved? The cop didn't get him on the spot, he can't prove anything.

Hell, if you really wanted to embarass him just take the BOV off, go to court and claim you don't even have one and invite them to check. And then ask for reparations for your time wasted going to court.

Excessive Noise fines are bullcrap! I should know, I got one on friday, couldnt say that I didnt deserve mine though....................... still mine was $240 with no points.

Hard to justify that when I could possibly kill people by travelling 15kms over the limit and get a $150 fine and 3 points.............

The system is farked, some police are bastards, and there is probably nothing you can do about it, sucks doesnt it!

heard of similar situations..

to be honest he probably wouldn't have much hope, as the cop will always put a hard case to the magistrate and the magistrate will most likely be middle-aged/older and sympathise with the noise impacting on others. Even though he wasn't on duty, he still has the right to book you. The ego of the cop and the "I'm always right" will also make him fight it beyond all reasonable purpose.

my old man is a mechanic, insurance assor and a private investigater, he also worked for the rta in the weigh bridges for trucks, he has told me that the cops have to have a qualification like a mechanic etc: or they have to have a meter to measure the noise level or a roller to defect u for a low car. if the cop is not qualified and especially if he had no meter to measure the noise level he cant make a fair and accurate judgement. 9 times out of 10 u will win in court. also if u get pulled over and defected for anything, ask them what there qualifications are, if they are not qualified the this puts u in front on the spot as they cant make a judgemet on what is legal or what in not as they have not been trained to know this and cant make a accurate judgemet.

my old man is a mechanic, insurance assor and a private investigater, he also worked for the rta in the weigh bridges for trucks, he has told me that the cops have to have a qualification like a mechanic etc: or they have to have a meter to measure the noise level or a roller to defect u for a low car. if the cop is not qualified and especially if he had no meter to measure the noise level he cant make a fair and accurate judgement. 9 times out of 10 u will win in court. also if u get pulled over and defected for anything, ask them what there qualifications are, if they are not qualified the this puts u in front on the spot as they cant make a judgemet on what is legal or what in not as they have not been trained to know this and cant make a accurate judgemet.

As much as you should stand up for your rights, and I kind of agree in theory. You would be nuts to ask what the cops qualifications are. They will very quickly show you a few of them.

And well, if they REALLY want to, they will pull out their little ADR book. Then your RS.

most cops by the time they get to traffic duty are fairly senior.. senior counstable or more likely seargent.. Unfortunately you are right there Dave, in that they do have a bit of training in that area. Although it might be about 2-3 years since they did the course, it's possible their memory is hazy.

ADR's are nothing to be scared of, most cars should pass if the obvious things are legal.

p.s.. deanx0r: unfortunately that would mean your nice bling 19" rims are 2" too large :P