SAU Community

R33 as a weekend track racer. Any good?

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and i am in the process of selling my Jeep Wranlger to buy a R33 Skyline.

Now i want this to be my daily driver but i also want to be able to use it on the weekend for some "fun" track racing.

Do any of you WA guys do track racing on the weekends or something? And if so...how often

Alot of ppl told me to stay away from a Skyline as a track car and i want to verify with you guys if these statements are true or not.

I've driven a MY04 WRX and i thought it's nowhere near as fast as a R33.

Cheers

Kris

Considering that a daily driver is your first preference, I think the R33 is a good choice (GTR or GTST?)

I remember reading somewhere that "A GTR is a track car, you can drive on the roads, whereas a GTST is a street car, that you can take to the track."

But overall, I can't see y ppl have tried to deter you from purchasing an R33 :(

I've driven a MY04 WRX and i thought it's nowhere near as fast as a R33.

it must have been a GTR in that case as a GTST would be very similar to a WRX (assuming that it wasn't an STi) Or could have been a modified GTST......

Yeah...the one i am looking at getting is a stock 1995 GTS-T. I can't find a R33 GTR in WA and there is no way i could afford id even if i did :(

Alot of ppl are telling me to get a Series III RX7 and spending some money on that and use it as a track car. They say it's lighter and it will perform better??? I call bulshit but these are guys who actually RACE their cars.

Yeah...the one i am looking at getting is a stock 1995 GTS-T. I can't find a R33 GTR in WA and there is no way i could afford id even if i did :(

Alot of ppl are telling me to get a Series III RX7 and spending some money on that and use it as a track car. They say it's lighter and it will perform better??? I call bulshit but these are guys who actually RACE their cars.

hmmm

see my sale below 1995, pretty much track prepped

/end shameless plug

That's exactly what i think. I just want something i can drive every day, be reliable and something that i can take to the track on the weekend and STILL be able to drive it back home.

It would be kewl to have something like a 1995 RX-7 but at $35,000+ i can't justify that. I can't imagine it being much faster than the Skyline anyway.

I'm new to sportcars so as you can tell, i don't know much about what is good and what isn't.

I ran my 33 gtst pretty much stock at track days for about 3 years, they are great and last really well. Of course if you want to do *heaps* of track work but a seperate car.

But if not, leave it pretty much stock, unstressed, put on great tyres, and run rings around pretty much anything :cheers:

Thanks Duncan for the info :cheers:

That's pretty much what i want to do. Leave it stock and race it every now and then.

Should i upgrade the clutch or not?

I was thinking of only doing a Stage 1 upgrade consisting of an aftermarket turbo back exhaust, up the boost to 10 PSI and get a bigger intercooler and a pod filter.

Apparenty i can expect an extra 15hp at the wheels from just that. Well...that's what the guys at www.c-red.com.au said.

Personally I think thats one of the great things about leaving it pretty much stock, you don't need to spend $$$ on upgrading stuff like clutches....I just used the standard one for about 2 years then it finally gave up. Was only making about 160rwkw but that is plenty in a great handling car :cheers:

Thanks Duncan for the info ;)

That's pretty much what i want to do. Leave it stock and race it every now and then.

Should i upgrade the clutch or not?

I was thinking of only doing a Stage 1 upgrade consisting of an aftermarket turbo back exhaust, up the boost to 10 PSI and get a bigger intercooler and a pod filter.

Apparenty i can expect an extra 15hp at the wheels from just that. Well...that's what the guys at www.c-red.com.au said.

those mods will give u a shitload more than 15hp at the wheels!

more like 70hp at the wheels.

car with those mods typically produces about 170-185rwkw and stock they produce around 130rwkw.

LOL

sorry but i dont see why you are so worried about clutches!!!!

chances are the car u buy would have an aftermarket clutch anyway.

if it doesnt, when the clutch slips replace it, till then, forget about it ;)

you wouldnt replace it with a stock one.

a suitable clutch for a mildly modded r33 should cost no more than about $500 plus 250 labour.

Well i don't know what is the weakest point of a Skyline R33. I mean....if i went to the drags on the weekend, and did the usual start by dumping to the redline, let it bounce off the rev limited and dump it on the green then i am sure something is bound to break......right?

Or am i just worrying about something i shouldn't?

Well i don't know what is the weakest point of a Skyline R33. I mean....if i went to the drags on the weekend, and did the usual start by dumping to the redline, let it bounce off the rev limited and dump it on the green then i am sure something is bound to break......right?

Or am i just worrying about something i shouldn't?

there is no point dumping at the redline u will just wheelspin, so forget about launching at the redline u will get nowhere!

in an r33 with a bit more power than stock, depending on tyres most people launch at between 3-4 grand to get a good mix of wheelspin/traction.

stock clutch will be fine if its in decent condition, in terms of other things that break you dont have much to worry about launching a gts-t the gearboxes and other components are strong.

good :( The less i have to spend on mods the better :thumbsup:

I just want to reach about 200rwkw and that's what i will leave it at.

What would be needed to achieve those figures?

Sorry for all the n00b questions...but i am a n00b at this :thumbsup: Also...where is the best place to get parts. I'm relatively mechanically minded so any bolt on stuff i can do myself.

read through the forum some more use the search function and u will find all the answers to these questions, but for now to get that power u need

turbo back exhaust 3" is fine (1200)

front mount ic(1200)

power FC (about 1500 including tune)

bleed valve (set to around 10-11psi) ($50)

that will give something around that figure. and u will be able to run low 13s given decent launch with that setup

most second hand cars have at least an exhaust anyway so u prob wont have to buy everything. sponsors on the forum sell stuff at good prices, otherwise second hand stuff is cheap on this forum.

if u want new cheapest and reliable from japan www.nengun.com although sometimes u have to wait a long time for parts and customer service can be slow.