SAU Community

Do you have 250rwkw-300rwkw ?

We have a single plate, and are producing 467rwkw...never been a problem...and its copped a fair bit of punishment too.....its a JIM BERRY special.

yeah, but a Jim Berry certainly isnt the run of the mill clutch by any means of the word.

His twins hold 600kw+ no worries ;)

everything has its price

IMO - go for something rebuildable.

Remember if you have one plate, two is going to cost more.

Im running an OS Twin, awesome clutch ive never had problems with. It was almost shagged and still gripped without issue.

Rebuild is $1500 (plates themselves around around the $600 mark give or take)

You'd think a single would be cheaper, but how long does it last?

R31Nismoid: That was one of my initial concerns and part of the reason why I posted this topic.

I do not want to install a single plate and have it die on me in a year.....then get a rebuild when getting a twin plate in the first place would have been cheaper.

But judging from the response I have got from this thread, I think a single plate would be sufficient enough for me.

i have an OS Giken twin plate in my car, but it's the hard core solid centre one, not the sprung centre. it certainly cops the punishment I dish out, but it's a bit of a bitch for city driving, and it rattles when your foot is on the clutch (makes people think your car is broken). Nick (blitz) has just installed a nismo twin into his GTR. I dunno if he's given it much punishment yet, but it sure seems a fair bit more civilised than my OS Giken one. can't fault the performance of mine though. plenty of 7000rpm launches (in both RWD and AWD), a few track days and no dramas. :D

Well I am getting a Jim Berry single! once that is in the car will be tuned again for 1.4 BAR and I'm sure to see 300awkw and from all reports, Jim's clutch will do this in its sleep....

for what its worth, my understanding is that a single has more meat on it that say a twin or tripple, being that it is still in the same space the single would take up... so I would say a good single will outlast a twin in most cases.... which seems to be backed up with the time frame most of jims clutches last over twins... and they seem to be half the price of a decent twin too :D:):):);)

oh and I think I must hold a world record!!! (Jim on and off the phone with clutch info and spec's etc in 6 mins 34 sec!!!!)

:)

Well I am getting a Jim Berry single! once that is in the car will be tuned again for 1.4 BAR and I'm sure to see 300awkw and from all reports, Jim's clutch will do this in its sleep....

for what its worth, my understanding is that a single has more meat on it that say a twin or tripple, being that it is still in the same space the single would take up... so I would say a good single will outlast a twin in most cases.... which seems to be backed up with the time frame most of jims clutches last over twins... and they seem to be half the price of a decent twin too :(:):):):)

oh and I think I must hold a world record!!! (Jim on and off the phone with clutch info and spec's etc in 6 mins 34 sec!!!!)

;)

Tell 'em the price sun?:(

but it's a bit of a bitch for city driving, and it rattles when your foot is on the clutch (makes people think your car is broken).

my os giken clutch rattles as well. Do you know if this is normal, as its quite loud.

my os giken clutch rattles as well. Do you know if this is normal, as its quite loud.

We have 3 X OS Giken multiplate clutches, 1 X twin plate in the GTST and 2 X triple plates in the GTR's. They all rattle when not under load, however they are what I call "competition" multiplates. I understand that OS Giken also have a range of "road" multiplates that have springs between the intermediate plates and the cage that stop the rattle.

I get might sick of people rushing up to me and telling me to turn the engine off as it has bad big end rattle. :chairshot

"It's OK, its just the clutch",wears a bit thin after 20 or 30 people per race weekend.:(

my OS twin only rattles with the clutch depressed

since rebuild its a lot more quiet as the plates arent as worn and its definately rattling less

I have an ogura racing super single cerametallic. Had the centre plate replaced due to a destroyed spring, but may need to look at another clutch. When driven hard, after a while produces slip which has only just started happening. Will need something stronger as the new centre plate was less than 10000kms old. ;) Money wasted

from scratch?

or supplying a dead clutch to be modified?

I bought a dead 3 puck nismo clutch for $100, sent it to Jim Berry, and he made a 3800 pound carbonic 5 puck clutch for $800.

Factor in the several hour long mobile phone calls to Jim, and i got an awsome clutch for under a grand! He certainly can talk! Better that someone who doesnt give you the time of day though!

Shaun.

HypeR33...how much power are you making ???

From what I have read the Ogura racing is rated at 450HP. I am making less than that at just under 250rwkw. Plans in the works to bring the kw way up. Will definitely need a new clutch then :goddam: should have used the $900 spent on the new centre plate towards a more powerful clutch, but also need a new flywheel coz it has an Ogura racing lightened flywheel with the clutch.

I purchased a 9puk Ceramic 1100kg in anticipation of 300rwkw.

I bought it from Tim Possingham the previous owner of www.horsepowerinabox.com 1yrs ago for $600.

I'm making no where near it yet, I have no doubts it will hold.

The same clutch is in 2 other 300rwkw monsters I know of. Whatsisname just under 300rwkw & another 2jz Supra making a shade over 300rwkw.

Its quite a nice clutch to drive, reversing is the only time I find it bounces the drive line a little.

I get might sick of people rushing up to me and telling me to turn the engine off as it has bad big end rattle. :chairshot

"It's OK, its just the clutch",wears a bit thin after 20 or 30 people per race weekend.;)

tell me about it. i get looks when I'm at the lights, foot on clutch, select first now everyone within 20 metres of the car is looking at me like i'm must be some kind of idiot not to get that death rattle seen to. quite funny though. those that know just give a little smile... also, like you said the solid centre OS clutches really are a competition style clutch. not very friendly to tootle around with, but awesome for track work, big launches, burnouts etc whatever your heary desires. I think if/when it dies i will either just rebuild it, or try one of the new nismo ones.