SAU Community

no more monaro

You just have to think of technology in general and how Japan are the world leaders in technology, producing the best tv's, etc. And I would imagine that superiority would continue in their car manufacturing. Compare this to Australias technology and it's quite embarrassing. This is what keeps me away from the Holden. Japan's far too superior.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alot of holdens manufacturing equipement is second hand coming from the leading factories in the world, my mate works in there so he knows ... so in that sense their equipement is up to date, but not the latest and greatest i guess.

I've owned a VS 5ltr 5speed.

Spent a little on the motor & suspension only to have the stock gearbox pop, stock diff pop and the rear IRS subframe split from one of the diff mounts like a can opener attacked it. Simply looking at the design of the VS IRS rear end to that of the Nissan R32/R33 rear end you can see how the Nissans rear end looks that much tougher.

It was fine for a daily commuter but anything more and it simply broke.

The Nissan I now own has taken a beating so much more abuse and simply holds together, even with an extra 72% more power. 3years later and 120,000km's the only parts I've 'had' to replace due to breakage (not consumables such as clutches, brakes etc) is a radiator top tank, clutch master and slave cylinder, a few heater hoses which is to be expected with 188,000km's on the clock.

Things may be different now.. I don't know how current gen commodore driveline, diff's and chassis hold up to more power than stock.

Some of you may think that Holden are behind the times but when you think about it, how much do you actualy know about the product - **** all. The technology that Holden use, not only mechanical wise but safety wise aswell is on par with the best of them.

and as for power. the new 6.0litre engine with an exhaust, CAI and computer upgrade will prodcue in excess of 290rwkw and thats only spending between 3-4k on modifications. No turbo lag, Plenty of bottom end torque, plenty of top end torque.  

On the other hand a customer of mine has a new 6.0litre Senator with a twin turbo kit fitted to it 10psi = over 400rwkw.... Try acheive that on the same amount of boost out of an RB25 or whatever.  

Dont get me wrong at all. I love my turbo cars aswell but I think that alot of people need to broaden their prospective and look at what Holden is produceing. If anything you have to take pride in it because its an AUSTRALIAN built car - Made by AUSTRALIANS.

Holden means a great deal to Australia.

LoL! But not the Monaro apparently. All though it IS better than those souped up family sedans that are passed of as "sports cars"

In terms of Aussie cars, theres nothing to be proud of really, can't stand Fords n Holdens.......actually the XR6T Typhoon ain't too bad. It's just the aussie mentality of "v8 mate" is annoying. It's like, upgrade already.

ok what I was going on with was all too long.

Lets just say my significant experience in the international world of quality engineering and manufacturing is at complete odds with your opinions.

I commend you both on your parochialism and agree that we need those companies and their local product but they are not shining examples of quality or engineering excellence.

If you are limited by racing class to a specific package there is no sense complaining. Your choice to race right? After all the money spent to develop the alloytech they gained little power, refinement, or economy. Wankers. Even the press have been slagging the boat anchor down. Renault developed a much nicer package in their V6.

Back on topic, after the nostril debacle I am just happy to see the back of a car with some potential but gone well off the mark.

Only cheap wine comes in 5 litres (or 6!)

Meh, no loss.

Looks like getting axed is in the monaros genes.

I went to the liquor store in search of a 6 litre wine casket but with no success :thumbsup:

hehehe

Things may be different now.. I don't know how current gen commodore driveline, diff's and chassis hold up to more power than stock.

If they lasted where's the incentive to upgrade continually to the new model...

The VS went fairly well after a few mods. That was the end of the road for it unless I wanted to go a huge fuel swallowing cam or forced induction.

I'd say the VS was as quick as my R32 once the R32 was making around 150rwkw.

That is Exhaust and 12.5psi from the R32.

As an insider working for Holden... You should see whats coming out when the VE commodore comes out.... It will make the FPV Typhoon look like a Barina....Shhhhh cant say

Jesus!!

the VE will make the Typhoon look like a Barina?!

so will the great aussie people mover crack the 2000kg mark?

it's no wonder they need a dirty great 6.0L of displacement to move the bugger around!

:thumbsup:

Heath,

You not referring to the VE GTS that only 0.5% of the population can afford are you? Or are you referring to a twin turbo torana that's all hearsay? LS2 in the VE v8's are pretty definate however will be detuned. Can't see nothing that will make the Typhoon look like a barina especially when the 6 speed auto comes out.

Well... Won't I be scouring the LS web sites looking for your car and mods. hehe :P

If the pic isn't a photochop.. Awesome.

Nothing better than big cubes + forced induction.

There's no replacement for displacement.. :)

Get ready ppl, fly those Ozzie flag:)

...It's just the aussie mentality of "v8 mate" is annoying. It's like, upgrade already.

See thats funny, not being a smart a55 but its the same as some ppls mentality of either Jap or nothing. Look at the Skyline / Nissan range and think about the number of uninspiring engines they use, SOHC engines etc.

If i had a job that readily gave me a company car...then id gladly have taken a Monaro. :P

So what if its a pushrod V8. Does anyone know what they actually weigh being all alloy compared to the cast iron block RB engines? If you read up on the LS1/2 engines, you will find out why they didnt continue with the LT5, or use some of other quad cam V8s that they make and sell in Oldsmobile/Pontiac etc.

There are design reasons as well as cost reasons, and you only have to look at the peformance of the things to realise they arent really hurting on that front. (and seriously look at the economy these things get, they are surprisingly good...its amazing when you consider the weight they have pull around, with weight being the worst enemy of economy)

The chassis that these engines are put in arent that great, but the Monaro was one of the better chassis housing the engine:(

It aint cheap, but consider what a 2003/4 GTR would have cost you...

44886973.Car21_069.JPG

44886909.Car21_007.JPG

Then take the above, add a cam and exhaust with remapped ECU, some shocks and springs, thats all...thats all you need to on road legal semi slicks to run 1:51s at Eastern Creek. Which is bloody fast

Consider the new HSV Dealer Team Spec Clubsports lap Oran Short Circuit in 48.2 seconds on road legal rubber, completely off the showroom floor and according to road tests at Oran Park t put up with all the abuse given to it with brakes/temps etc all being stable:) They will soon be optioned with Ohlins adjustable suspension...imagine how quick they will be then:)

Then consider SAU's fastest GTR around Oran Park Short Circuit, an R32 with 25/40 turbos, hks mainifolds, hks dump pipes, 044 fuel pumps, cams, cam gears, head ported, forged pistons, rods, dog box and 340 kw at all four wheels with road legal rubber and fully sorted suspension and big aftermarket brakes does 47.6seconds

LOL...if you look around there are plenty of reasons why not to sling sh1t on Holdens/Monaros/V8s etc:) Imagine a last hoorah Monaro on a diet with the Ohlins and rest of the Dealer Team Spec options:whackit:

Well... Won't I be scouring the LS web sites looking for your car and mods. hehe :P

If the pic isn't a photochop.. Awesome.  

Nothing better than big cubes + forced induction.

There's no replacement for displacement.. :)

You won't need to cubes as the answer was already posted in another thread in this forum. If I had forced induction I would be pulling much more than what I have now. If there was no insurance, drivetrain complications, or warranty issues then I would get one now. I have to wait 2.5 years before I would be serious about it.

Yeah it's a photochop courtesy of one of the skyline images I stole from this forum :D

They are obviously a completely different car to that of the old VS. :P

I used to jack the car up and once accidently opened the car door. I wasn't able to close the door until I dropped the car back on the ground as the chassis twisted a good 10mm and the door latch no longer lined up. :)

Reading the manual it stated 'do not open the car door while the car is jacked up' lol

I think people should appreciate all kinds of cars and get over the badge thing. Mock the OHV all you want but it's the end result that counts. I see people mocking Monaro's/Commo's/Falcons but what about a Z06 Corvette? It uses a LS1 and now a LS2 motor. That's a capable car in itself.

Porsche up until recently (the 993 incarnations of the 911) were running SOHC 2 valves per cylinder. That's very low tech compared to a Nissan of the same era with DOHC and 4 valves/cylinder. Porsche still use strut suspension setup, compared to double wishbones on Skylines up front and multi-links on the rear. Which one handles and grips better?

Like I said, appreciate all cars in all colors and formats, and get over the badge/name thing.

hahahaha GM's f**ked there a victim of there own sucess now theres no one to buy them out when they go down shute, which will happen i think unless some govenments prop it up. the monaro was never liked in the US or here personally and why didn't ford make one? (a coupe)