Rezz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

did honda coppy nissan design? or the other way around? what do you think

Well I know that the NS-X Prototype was first shown in 1989, and the MID4 II was from 1987 so... not saying Honda copied anyone, but they would've been well aware of the MID4 around the time they were designing the prototype. It's funny I always thought the SW20 Toyota MR2 looked very similar to the MID4 II.

Honda had prototypes and design studies in the early part of the 80s. Like most Japanese companies around that time, Honda, Nissan etc was spending big money without focus on profit.

Btw : Are you back in Japan Justin?

Honda had prototypes and design studies in the early part of the 80s.
True (same for Nissan), but as regards the similarities between NSX and MID4 II final prototypes as shown at Motor Shows, Honda would've seen the Nissan stand at the Chicago Motor Show and could've differentiated the design more than they did, but didn't... I think that was what Biasa was getting at. At any rate, the MID4 II was heading to market in August 1989 (it was planned) so if that had happened, it would've still beaten the NSXs debut, and the obvious 'copy cat' name calling would've been directed at Honda regardless of who started their project first. That said, I really don't think the NSX looks like the MID4 II anyway... Biasa started it! :blush:
Btw : Are you back in Japan Justin?
Yes I am Christian :) Working hard to get 7Tune up and running again too. Much, MUCH better this time...

1994 TRD 3000GT

Widebody JGTC Replica

gallery_4816_41_85907.gif

The TRD 3000GT was first shown at the 1994 Tokyo Auto Salon much to the delight of Toyota fans and tuning car fans in general. The JZA80 Toyota Supra was already well recieved, and for TRD to bring out such extreme parts for it was sensational at the time. The TRD 3000GT body kit extended the guards by 50mm changing much of the entire exterior of the car, leading some people to belive it were a low production vehicle along the lines of RUF Automobile GmbH (Porsche).

gallery_4816_41_15296.jpggallery_4816_41_7955.jpg

The JGTC Supra wore the 3000GT aero parts in the final race of the '94 season and showed exceptional speed, which would lead TRD to further hone the aero parts to gain the best performance possible, as shown in the two types of rear wing were available from TRD, although the 'Type R' rear wing is no longer produced. Actually, all TRD 3000GT parts are still available according to TRDs website, although the actual stock availabilty isn't known. The TRD 3000GT was never actually sold as a complete car, although cars were sold with the full catalogue installed. For many though, this was a very expensive option so it's possible to find JZA80 Supras with various genuine parts installed to make a car which is built according to their budgets. The TRD 3000GT bonnet, for example, is one part which although costing 210,000yen was a popular addition amongst Supra owners. A complete TRD 3000GT which had it's parts installed by Toyota, while not impossible to find, are still one of the most sought after JZA80s.

gallery_4816_41_1476.jpg

The Type S rear wing.

gallery_4816_41_3939.jpg

The Type R rear wing. (No longer produced)

As is typical amongst the Japanese 'Works Tuners' (TRD, Nismo, Mugen, STi, Mazdaspeed, Ralliart etc), the engine of the TRD 3000GT at the time of it's release was left close to standard, but with a full exhaust system and suspension modifcations added to give a reasonable upgrade in performance over the already powerful base car. Later, engine packages were available which were released in stages going from mild street performance to 'hard tuned' packages illegal for street use. The original 1994 debut car though was all about properly functioning aerodynamics as opposed to outright speed, with Toyota investing alot more financially into the TRD 3000GTs body kit form than previous attempts, using wind tunnel testing and 3D simulations to gain the best compromise between functionality and appearance.

gallery_4816_41_25545.jpg

The engine was completely stock at the time of the TRD 3000GTs announcement, but later upgrades were developed for big increases in horsepower.

gallery_4816_41_9226.jpg

Nicely designed TRD airbag steering wheel one of few interior upgrades that match the exterior.

The complete wide body TRD 3000GT kit including front fenders, rear fenders, side skirts and front and rear bumpers weighed in at 971,250yen (A$9,946!!), with the addition of the aero bonnet (210,000yen) and the rear wing (140,000yen) brings the total body kit package price to 1,321,250yen (A$13,540)... not including installation...

Rezz-

That's more or less the same story, regarding availability and pricing, for the SW20 MR2 variant called the "TRD 2000GT". Also extremely rare and a highly sought after modification in the MR2 community, most of the cars you see on the road today are using replicated TRD parts (since the originals commanded upwards of $10,000 US for the complete kit).

2000GT_c.jpg

2000GT_b.jpg

As you may or may not remember, the MOMO/Apex'i MR2 went on to win the '99 GT300 series of the JGTC. I'm not sure if the aero parts were essentially the same, exactly the same, or completely different. However, it would seem logical that some sort of widebody modification would've been performed to allow much larger front and rear tires than the stock SW20 MR2 would allow.

025machine.jpg

Thanks Steve, I was actually going to add some pics of the TRD 2000GT to the 3000GT post but I couldn't find any decent sized ones.

• 3 weeks later...