SAU Community

From The Japan X-files... Forgotten Jdm Cars

Rezz

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>1987 Nissan Langley 1.6 GT</span>

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>The Langley story...</span>

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Do you remember the "Langley"? It's a car that should be called a Pulsar, yet with a Skyline flavor (supposed to be an imitation of the 7th Skyline, the R31) that has been described in catalogues as</span> <span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>"Skyline's MINI". </span><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>If we take away the SUNNY and the PULSAR from the 1986 to 1989 period, none were able to be called "a box office hit" for Nissan at that time though it was a strange state of affairs that there happened to be a whole group of sedans (Sunny, Laurel, Pulsar Langley, Skyline) that were on sale from Nissan in the small/medium size market.</span>

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Nissan was famous in the 1980's for selling cars through multiple sales channels with multiple names for extending their sales system such as the Sunny shop, the Nissan shop, the Bluebird shop, the Prince shops, and the Cherry shops in those days. Afterwards, it was arranged in only two sales channels of 'Red stage/Blue stage', and even these two sales channels have been consolidated only just this year... making just one sales channel. Most people never liked multiple sales channels in the same manufacturer.</span>

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>The Langley GT (the model most sought after) came as a sedan and hatchback with Black two-tone color schemes which at the time went against the stark white which was so popular. Back then, I suppose we could say that the Langley was a 'poor mans Skyline'. So if one does come across a Langley GT in the used car lot, would one not think "should I buy a Skyline instead?" This is the feeling amonst even the most serious of Nissan enthusiasts. At that time, there was a low-priced version of the R32 Skyline, a 1.8L sedan which was almost the same price as the Langley GT, so one must also ask, "why would Nissan blur the lines between models in such a way?" It's clear that Nissan were trying to resussitate low sales during the mid to late 80's by offering 'heart beat vehicles'... cars which appeal to the heart, such as low volume Reebok and Nismo models.

Still, it was quite usual for a family of 5 to buy the low-spec 1.5L Nissan Pulsar sedan over the Langley GT, so the likelyhood of seeing them on the street nowadays is very low indeed. One might chuckle upon seeing ex-F1 driver Aguri Suzuki posing next to the Langley in Nissans sales brochure, which in my mind was the pinacle of 1980's advertising - to sell to the heart, not the head.</span>

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Name: Nissan Langley 1.6 GT

Chassis: E-HN13

Engine: CA16DE

Capacity: 1598cc

Power: 96kw

Torque: 14kg/m

Weight: 1090kg

Transmission: 5MT/4AT

Drive: Front wheels with viscous LSD/Fulltime 4WD

Brakes: Ventilated disks

Suspension: Front struts with rear parralel link struts</span>

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>This isn't a Langley (it's an EXA) but it's the same CA16DE engine.</span>

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I ordered this book from Amazon.co.jp because I'm such an 80's Japanese car freak:</span>

http://nigensha.co.jp/webcg/digital-cg/arc.../archive11.html

***Edit: <span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>WONDER WHY THE LANGLEY WAS DISCONTINUED?</span> <span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Heres why:

"Tsutomu Miyazaki's car", a Nissan Langley, was used in the rape and murder of young Japanese girls in 1989, and gave rise to the negative views held by the general Japanese population against so called 'OTAKU' or 'geeks'. Read about this monster HERE</span>

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>1985-90 T12 Nissan Auster Euroform Xtt Turbo</span>

I used to own one of these:

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'> The Nissan Auster had it's debut as a sister car of the Nissan Violet and the second generation Stanza (it's roots going back to 1977). Most sedans of 1600-1800cc class were FR at that time.

The 1985 Auster became the third car to use the platform of the U11 Bluebird to make it FF, so the Bluebird, Auster, and the Stanza somewhat crowded the popular 1.8L sedan class.

Nissan tried it's best to give the Auster an European feel, even going so far as to the the top of the line model 'Euroform', and backing this up with the 'Romancing Auster' TV commercials. But, as some owners have said, the Auster really was a very well equipped but boxy sedan... which proved to be quite heavy as a result.

The Auster also stuck to the selling point that it had unusually high body rigidity, also adding alot of weight.

The sports model Auster Xtt was equipped with a CA18DET twin cam turbo without an intercooler (160PS), other models were equipped with CA18ET(135PS) in CA16S(90PS), CA18Ei(105PS). The Si Euroform and Xtt also came with an aero body kit which didn't really do anything to 'soften' the boxy shape of the Auster, rather it just made it look more hard edged. At the time, other car companies like Honda were looking for the next wave of soft rounded styling influences which is apparent in it's EF Civic hatchback of 1987. By 1990, the Auster was the ugly duckling of Nissans line up, with body styling that wouldv've looked sensational - if only it were released 10 years earlier.

CA18DET_____________________________________CA18ET (E15ET's big brother that couldn't)

Dispite being based on the U11 Bluebird with it's excelent reputation, the Auster still couldn't help becoming another casualty of 1990. The model name wasn't succeeded, but the Auster's market niche would soon be filled by the P10 Primera which continued the Auster's recipe of a highly rigid body in a small/mid sized FF sedan. Poor sales didn't help the Auster at all, even with the TV commercials and European 'mystique', so the Stanza also became a casualty. The Stanza actually was succeeded by the Presea, a small hardtop sedan and by that stage all features of the car that could remotely be passed off as 'sports inspired' had disappeared.

Name: T12 Nissan Auster 1800 Xtt

Chassis: E-T12

Engine: CA18DET

Capacity: 1809cc

Power: 119kw @ 6400rpm

Torque: 21.5kg/m @ 4000rpm

Weight: 1230kg

Transmission: 5MT/4AT

Drive: Front wheels

Suspension: MacPherson Front struts with rear parralel link struts

Si model digital gauge cluster.

</span>

The Holden Astra is pretty much the same car rite Rezz? My friend has one and he bought the langley lights from Japan, and he has debagged the car, surprisingly the car goes good for its age.

He is currently working on the car, giving it a paint job, bought a turbo kit for it etc... be good to see how its going to go..

post-21026-1123177691.jpg

this is before...

and now in the process...

post-21026-1123177510.jpg

Yep, thats it Lam... the Australian N13 Pulsar was a 1.8L SOHC version of the Nissan Langley. I had one myself about 10 years ago, and funnily enough I always wanted those Langley tail lights too!

I had the Auster at 14 years ago.Also I had the Liberta Villa at 15 years ago.It's looks like the Langley.

Hey Akihiro! Where have you been? Long time no see (or hear)...

Did you have an Auster? Me too... hahahaha my Auster was an Xtt turbo. It was ok, but very heavy and FF :)

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>1985 Toyota Corona Coupe 2000 GT-R</span>

The Corona Coupe first appeared in 1985, with a bodyshell similar to the ST160 Celica, but with a more upmarket image. Parts sharing continued across models from the already mentioned Celica and also the Carina ED, all sharing the 3S-GELU engine and all using the same platform. Basically it could be said that the Corona Coupe was a restyling execise giving consumers in the 1980's a mind-boggling array of choices... "would you like your Corona in FF or FR? Coupe or sedan? Sporty or upmarket?"

Three engines were available, 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0L, with the top of the line GT-R getting the 3S-GE twin cam. The 1.6L 4A-GELU, as good as it was, wasn't large enough to move the Corona Coupe at a decent pace, so the GT-R version with the 2.0L 3S-GELU was the most sought after model. The 1.8L 1S-iLU SOHC engine with 115ps (78kw) wasn't powerful or revable, but had that extra capacity that the 4A-G lacked... but the 1S-iLU was better suited to the Camry, not a sports orientated coupe.

3S-GELU - 120kw________________________________4A-GELU - 97kw... just not enough.

The interior of the Corona Coupe was identical to the ST160 Celica, with a truely amazing looking digital guage cluster which must've looked incredible back in 1985... real 21st century style - in a 1980's point of view.

It came as a bit of a suprise that the ST160 Corona Coupe was succeeded by the ST180 Corona Exiv which happened to be a 4-door hardtop sedan... with not a coupe model in sight. Therefore the 80's Corona Coupe stopped at the ST160, leaving the void to be filled solely by the Celica.

Name: Toyota Corona Coupe 2000 GT-R

Chassis: ST160

Engine: 3S-GELU

Capacity: 1998cc

Power: 120kw @ 6400rpm

Torque: 19.0kg/m @ 4800rpm

Weight: 1100kg

Transmission: 5MT

Suspension: MacPherson Front struts with rear parralel link struts

• 2 weeks later...

... and now...

... the car...

... that best fits the 'WTF is that?' category...

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>The 1989 Autech Zagato Stelvio</span>

Autech was originally started as a subsidiary of Nissan Motor Co. in 1986 producing limited run models and various other specialty cars (including driving aids for disabled people) and has since created a certain mystique amongst Nissan enthusiasts, not least because of Autech's various Skyline and Silvia variants. At the time in the late 1980's, Autech was trying to make a big impression on the extremely lucrative Japanese car market by launching it's first 'handmade car' - the Autech Zagato Stelvio - with the help of Carozzeria (Zagato in Italy) and Alfa Romeo.

The Autech Zagato Stelvio is a true handmade car. Based on the F31 Nissan Leopard, the Stelvio came equipped with an Autech tuned VG30DET V6 3000cc quad-cam turbo engine producing (over) 280ps... as the only part of the car that wasn't extensively rebulit. An agreement between Japanese car manufacturers at that time cuased many to list '280ps' as the maximum horsepower of all their top performance cars, where in actual fact they produced 30 - 40hp more than that. Autech tuned the engine and the suspension, then the base frame, engine and suspension were sent off to Italy for the bodywork.

Zagato in Milan took the base F31 Leopard frame and created all the bodywork, most striking of which would have to be the rear-view mirrors incorporated into the front fenders. Some would say that this is the ugliest part of the car, but at the same time is the cars most memorable aspect. The two 'bulges' in the roof line also point to the 'handmade' catchphrase, as this feature could've easily been omitted... but retained to further increase it's individuality.

The interior boasts specially selected leathers and wood, with about every electrical gadget available in 1989. In fact, Autech originally wanted to incorporate a small hatch on the drivers side just behind the front door so that a briefcase could easily be stowed behind the front seat (not big enough for a passenger), but was left out as costs for the car spiraled upwards. The interior is finished in true Italian style, and is a statement of luxury, in contrast to the almost 'cool because it isn't' 1980's hard-edged chic styling of the exterior.

As you can see, the base frame delivered to Zagato was completely bare, requiring all panels to be hand made from aluminium. Even so, due to the long list of standard features,the copious use of wood and leather and the 4-speed electronically controlled automatic gearbox (!), the total weight of the car still broke the 1500kg limit. Once the car was completed, it was given a coating of Zagato's original Red paint with no other colours available. The alloy wheels were also designed by Zagato. The final price that the Autech Stelvio commanded? An incredible 17,500,000 yen (A$210,686)!

It has been said that to see a Stelvio nowadays, you'd have to be very lucky indeed, and that they could probably be had for about 4million yen at auction... less than a quarter of it's original sell price.

So you see, to have a Stelvio in Japan in the late 1980's would've given you instant status amongst rich people, with a car that used Japanese know how and reliability, with the very best Italian hand made attributes... I tip my hat to you sir... :(

The Autech Zagato Stelvio was limited to 200 cars with 3 test cars.

Maker: Autech/Zagato

Model: Stelvio

Chassis: E-AZ1

Total length×width×height: 4370×1800×1345 mm

Wheelbase: 2615 mm

Unladen weight: 1560kg

Engine: VG30DET

Max power: over 280PS /6000rpm

Max torque: 41.0kgm/2800rpm

Transmission: Electronically controlled four-speed automatic

Front suspension: Independent struts

Rear suspension: Semi-trailing arms

Tires: 225/50R16 92V

What happens when Japanese logic is thrown out the window, an American stylist is called in, and a German tuning company is asked to 'make things right again'?

... answer...

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Mitsubishi Debonair V 3000 Royal AMG </span>

- FF NEW CLASSIC - <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(Mitsubishi advertising slogan)</span>

The Mitsubishi Debonair AMG debuted in 1986 amongst huge Japanese 'bubble economy' hype and equally huge expectations as far as the 'FF NEW CLASSIC' advertising slogan was concerned. The Debonair originally appeared way back in 1964 designed by none other than American H.S. Bretzner - complete with muscle car looks - and was such a success as Mitsubishi's flagship model (yes thats right... forget about the Galant) was produced *basically unchanged* for 22 years!!!

The 1964 Debonair was of course RWD, but New for 1986(!) the Debonair went front wheel drive...

To add to the Debonair's prowess, AMG (Germany) was called in to give the flagship Mitsubishi 'a touch of Mercedes Benz' and gave the Debonair the once over... well... actually AMG just supplied a rudimentary body kit and alloy wheels... but hey! at least Mr Takada can show off the AMG badge to low-ranking V3000 owners! The 3.0 twincam V6 went untouched... maybe for the better because a 1620kg FWD with 200+ hp might not have been a good idea.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>The Japanese caption to the picture reads: "It is a Debonair AMG doing a gay stunt in a specially prepared vehicle that appears in the TV show 'Gorilla'". </span>

In comments by AMG on the design: "The horizontal line of the body was emphasized, and we achieved a form that looked simple and dynamic..." ... well that was unexpected... I think what AMG were doing was more or less letting Mitsubishi capitalize on 'brand mystique' by agreeing to remodel some of their cars, as AMG were (and still are) mainly affiliated with Mercedes Benz. How much money changed hands in this little endevour? Who knows, but it gives us a little more insight into the workings of the 'bubble economy' mind-set that gripped Japan during the 1980's.

- The market reaction -

Dispite joining with AMG, needless to say the Debonair AMG was a flop. In fact, after 1989 the Mitsubishi/AMG partnership faded... and successive Debonair's never wore the AMG badge again. The curious large sedan/FF/V6 combination was moderately well recieved with class leading rear leg and headroom, and in the lesser models at least, the ever so soft ride and fluffy pillow like handling made sure that the only hard driving the Debonair saw was on crazy 1980's Police dramas. The 4,516,000 yen (A$54,223) asking price was... not... so... tempting, either.

The 6G72 3.0L DOHC engine put out 200hp and 27.0kg/m at 6000rpm, which had a bit of trouble propelling the 1620kg body around, but nevertheless, the engine was good enough to make it into the next generation Debonair in 1992... albeit with less power! Being the flagship model for Mitsubishi, the interior boasted all manner of gadgets with 'electric everything' being the order of the day. The leather seats also deserve mention (not exclusive to the AMG version) as they were possibly the most thickly padded 'seats' that have ever made it into a 'car'.

The Debonair AMG is yet another Japanese automotive rarity, and the likelyhood of seeing one in th metal is very slim indeed. Oldschool (1964 - 1986) Debonair owners will tell you that the Debonair died with the S12AG (1986 onwards) as all the spirit of the American 'to hell with aerodynamics' styling was carried on, but the FF drivetrain was something that was associated with small hatchbacks... not top-of-the-line flagship models. Oh well, if you see one, buy one!

... maybe not.

Name: Mitsubishi Debonair V 3000 Royal AMG

Chassis: S12AG

Engine: 6G72

Capacity: 2972cc

Power: 149kw

Torque: 27.0kg/m

Weight: 1620kg

Transmission: 4AT

Suspension: Front MacPherson struts, rear 3 link torsion axel